Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 02:56 PM

421 posts, read 2,156,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
The crime in Houston is exaggerated... when you look up crime statistics you will see it's not especially bad compared to other large cities.

Historic neighborhoods aren't razed (see Heights, Montrose, etc), the problem has been more with single buildings (businesses).
Reality and perception are two very different things. I don't have any first hand experience with Houston aside from my one visit a while back. As far as the crime statistics go, my opinion is more word of mouth. And my opinion on Houston's treating of its historic areas has been formed by my reading certain vintage home publications that state otherwise. The great thing about El Paso is that beside the fact that a large percentage of it's historic homes/buildings are in disrepair, they still stand today just waiting for a second chance. I can't overstate the architectural importance & historical significance of many of these buildings.

Of course I'm always of an open mind that my perception may be wrong just as I may be inclined to point out something to the contrary for a person who has no first hand knowledge of a city's real situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 03:57 PM

10 posts, read 96,938 times
EnjoyEP looks like we are in the same boat (well almost)!

I am originally from El Paso but left to Albuquerque to attend UNM. After graduation I tried for an entire year to find an entry level job in El Paso but was unsuccessful. I ended up taking a job in Albuquerque with a large corporate company that relocated here. I was lucky enough to gain several years of experience in the IT field and travel to Japan, Europe, India, Canada, and all over the US with my company. I had the opportunity to rise up in the corporate ranks in my 20’s and early 30’s until I got the Executive IT position I worked so hard for. Now that I am entering my mid-thirties and have a wife and two kids our family has decided to return to El Paso. My kids just LOVE the family setting! I am also finding the job market better this time around. I have an MBA and 10+ years of experience in the IT field. In the two months I have been looking I am now down to my final interviews for several Executive IT positions. The pay is very good and you cannot beat the housing. The $275,000 value of my home here in Albuquerque will allow me to purchase a much nicer and bigger home. Plus my wife is just beginning her teaching career and the pay and benefits are so much better in El Paso than Albuquerque. I think over all trying to begin your career in El Paso is just plain brutal. It seems like companies don’t want to take a chance on young El Pasoans.

Don’t get me wrong…I do still LOVE Albuquerque but my heart belongs to El Paso. My family is still located in El Paso and after leaving and returning my siblings have made their own niche there. I am also returning to hopefully make a difference in El Paso. To give opportunities to the young El Pasoans who are beginning their careers. One thing is for sure though…..I will still be flying that UNM Lobo flag high…even in Miner country!!!!!

Old 04-10-2007, 04:13 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,712,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNM_Lobo View Post

I am originally from El Paso but left to Albuquerque to attend UNM. After graduation I tried for an entire year to find an entry level job in El Paso but was unsuccessful. I ended up taking a job in Albuquerque with a large corporate company that relocated here. I was lucky enough to gain several years of experience in the IT field and travel to Japan, Europe, India, Canada, and all over the US with my company. I had the opportunity to rise up in the corporate ranks in my 20’s and early 30’s until I got the Executive IT position I worked so hard for. Now that I am entering my mid-thirties and have a wife and two kids our family has decided to return to El Paso. My kids just LOVE the family setting! I am also finding the job market better this time around. I have an MBA and 10+ years of experience in the IT field. In the two months I have been looking I am now down to my final interviews for several Executive IT positions. The pay is very good and you cannot beat the housing. The $275,000 value of my home here in Albuquerque will allow me to purchase a much nicer and bigger home. Plus my wife is just beginning her teaching career and the pay and benefits are so much better in El Paso than Albuquerque. I think over all trying to begin your career in El Paso is just plain brutal. It seems like companies don’t want to take a chance on young El Pasoans.

Don’t get me wrong…I do still LOVE Albuquerque but my heart belongs to El Paso. My family is still located in El Paso and after leaving and returning my siblings have made their own niche there. I am also returning to hopefully make a difference in El Paso. To give opportunities to the young El Pasoans who are beginning their careers. One thing is for sure though…..I will still be flying that UNM Lobo flag high…even in Miner country!!!!!
Great post, UNM_Lobo. It is very interesting to hear your experiences, and great to hear of another professional enthusiastic about EP!

I am with you too...Albuquerque is a great place. So a desire to move from ABQ to EP isn't a negative reflection on ABQ at all!

However, I only *wish* we were almost in the same boat...it sounds like you are far more successful than I! As you say...a $275K house here in ABQ will buy you a virtual mansion in EP, and at your level, assuredly you'll get to pick a litter of jobs in EP! Can I be envious now?

Instead, I own a modest $134K home here in ABQ (although it has increased in value over the last 2.5 years to more in the $150 or $160 range maybe) and instead of the executive level, I am a mere mid-level professional. I haven't yet received my Master's (I know I need to do that soon) and am a mere business slug. So I guess the moral of the story...I will have a bit more of hard work likely to get myself into EP than you!

Oh well...I think it is worth it if it pans out.

I would love to keep hearing your antecdotes and findings as you and your family make the transition...I hope you'll share them on here and let us know how things pan out for you in making the move.

Is there a part of EP you are interested in relocating to?

(I am with you on the Lobos...I have become a fan [even though I didn't go there to school] since moving here. I admit I am a bit of an anomoly...since I have more fierce ties/allegiances to a school in the Midwest for sports - and thus against our chief rivals - down here, I kind of stick up for UNM, NMSU, AND UTEP, even though all three are rivals big-time. Of the three though, I am most favorable to UNM)...

Old 04-10-2007, 04:45 PM

76 posts, read 388,632 times
It's unfortunate, but El Paso is indeed way behind the times. Not a great place to make a successful/comfortable life.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:13 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,615,450 times
Quote:
I am also finding the job market better this time around. The pay is very good and you cannot beat the housing.
Good for you UNM Lobo...I'm glad your having better success this time around. The last time i mentioned about EP doing better i was called ''Pathetic'' by a poster... LOL...

Now about you and EnjoyEP being Lobo fans .............

Go Andress High !
Go UTEP !

Old 04-11-2007, 07:17 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,441,958 times
Quote:

You obviously have the "credentials" and "experience" combination that separates you from the crowd and can write your own ticket anywhere. In fact it's common practice for El Paso companies to look outside the city for candidates with unique expertise because there are none available locally. So again exceptions to the rule rather then the norm. You are right that starting up your career in El Paso just does not make sense. As your situation demonstrates it's better to gain experience and/or education in a more competitive setting, that way if and when you return you have a tremendous advantage over the people that never left.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:35 AM

421 posts, read 2,156,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
You obviously have the "credentials" and "experience" combination that separates you from the crowd and can write your own ticket anywhere. In fact it's common practice for El Paso companies to look outside the city for candidates with unique expertise because there are none available locally. So again exceptions to the rule rather then the norm. You are right that starting up your career in El Paso just does not make sense. As your situation demonstrates it's better to gain experience and/or education in a more competitive setting, that way if and when you return you have a tremendous advantage over the people that never left.
Yep, but sometimes I wonder if the longer I had stayed away the more likely it would have been I'd never come back. I agree though that it's better for new grads to get out of town for a while and gain some experience. It will open doors to more options if you decide to return and most likely better pay.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Instead, I own a modest $134K home here in ABQ (although it has increased in value over the last 2.5 years to more in the $150 or $160 range maybe)
Have you spoke with a realtor yet? We bought our house about 3 years ago and it has gone up $75,000. Our neighbor down the street had his up on the market for one week and he made $90,000 off the sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Is there a part of EP you are interested in relocating to?
My wife and I went house hunting a few weeks ago while the kids were on spring break and we narrowed it down to the far east side (my choice), west side, and upper valley (my wife's choice). I was simply amazed by the growth on the far east side of El Paso. Plus the addition of Loop 375 makes access that much better. I also liked all the new schools they have built out there as well as the new hospital being built. My wife was really impressed with the construction of the new homes (she was absolutely floored with the beauty of these new homes). I was impressed most with the housing cost. We found homes in our price range that are comparable to the Tanoan or High Desert communities in Albuquerque (which are WAY out of our price range). The next time we are down in El Paso we are going to take a look at some of those same areas during the evening to get a better idea of the neighborhood communities.

My sister recently moved back to El Paso to teach (I have two sisters who are currently teachers in El Paso). She found a really nice home in Horizon. I cannot remember the name of the community off hand but it has a golf course. She paid approximately $145,000 for a 3 bedroom 2 bath 2,000 square foot custom built home.

I've been away from El Paso for about 13 years now, so it will be nice to return home. My kids are really excited as most of my family still lives there. Funny enough for spring break my kids chose El Paso over Walt Disney World for their vacation…go figure.

What areas are you interested in? What type of employment are you looking for?

Old 04-11-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
The last time i mentioned about EP doing better i was called ''Pathetic'' by a poster... LOL...
I have been researching the possibility of moving back to El Paso for just over a year now. I have noticed the same thing as well. I believe that El Paso is at a cross roads. If the city can keep doing the right things it can alter its future. You have water in place now, the infrastructure is being built, and some high profile companies are moving in. When I started my career in Albuquerque it was almost in the same situation. Now 13 years later look how much it has improved. It has several corporations that have relocated here and a new movie industry moving in. The corporation that I work for actually almost chose El Paso over Albuquerque but the city government blew that one. I think El Paso is stepping up to the plate now with the new troops coming in. Hopefully this will help other industries to take notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
Now about you and EnjoyEP being Lobo fans .............
Go Andress High !
Go UTEP !
LOL! Saturday Sept. 1 UNM at UTEP, 8 p.m. CSTV

Old 04-11-2007, 12:45 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,712,176 times
Quote:
Have you spoke with a realtor yet? We bought our house about 3 years ago and it has gone up $75,000. Our neighbor down the street had his up on the market for one week and he made $90,000 off the sale.
Wow, that is incredible inflation in value...very exciting. I do very much believe it though...home prices in ABQ have escalated quite a bit in value over these past 3 years!

We have only had casual conversations with a realtor...nothing too in-depth. We are in an older neighborhood in the NE Heights (small 4-br house with beautifully big front/back yards - 1150 square foot home) - bought it 2.5+ years ago for $134K. This past October, we got a home evaluation from a realtor, and at that time he said his guess was that the home now would be valued at a low-end of $156,567 to a high-end of $173,048...this was in October though, and was just an educated guess for sure from a realtor's standpoint...not sure how it would actually shake out, if we would really make that much off of it in re-sale. But I guess one can hope!

Quote:
My wife and I went house hunting a few weeks ago while the kids were on spring break and we narrowed it down to the far east side (my choice), west side, and upper valley (my wife's choice). I was simply amazed by the growth on the far east side of El Paso. Plus the addition of Loop 375 makes access that much better. I also liked all the new schools they have built out there as well as the new hospital being built. My wife was really impressed with the construction of the new homes (she was absolutely floored with the beauty of these new homes). I was impressed most with the housing cost. We found homes in our price range that are comparable to the Tanoan or High Desert communities in Albuquerque (which are WAY out of our price range). The next time we are down in El Paso we are going to take a look at some of those same areas during the evening to get a better idea of the neighborhood communities.

My sister recently moved back to El Paso to teach (I have two sisters who are currently teachers in El Paso). She found a really nice home in Horizon. I cannot remember the name of the community off hand but it has a golf course. She paid approximately $145,000 for a 3 bedroom 2 bath 2,000 square foot custom built home.

I've been away from El Paso for about 13 years now, so it will be nice to return home. My kids are really excited as most of my family still lives there. Funny enough for spring break my kids chose El Paso over Walt Disney World for their vacation…go figure.

What areas are you interested in? What type of employment are you looking for?
Areas:
You sound similar to me in amazement over the quality, size, and beauty of the homes available for the great price in the EP market. I boggle at the amount of home one can get for the price in EP versus up here in ABQ. As you say with your sister's example, a 2000 sf custom built home for virtually the same as we paid for an 1150 sf home that was 30+ years old here in ABQ! Big difference to a young, growing family.

The areas I think I have traditionally been most interested in in EP have been parts of the East Side, the far East Side, and Horizon City. There is something about Horizon City that really appeals to me - somewhat of a more suburban, quiet, secluded area that is really close to the bigger city, plus houses are even more outstanding in price there. However, with traffic issues to-from El Paso from Horizon City, lately I have been leaning a bit more towards looking into the (far) East Side.

Also...I have been tempted of late to the West Side or the Upper Valley like you, as houses are still greatly priced in these areas, and I have been told these can often be even nicer areas to live than the East side. However, houses at a value in the West Side / UV appear to be more in the $100 per sf range (still a great value) but in the East side / Horizon City - well under $100 per sf. So I guess we'd just have to go where the monetary value was the biggest for our buck, unless we found a real bargin on the West Side / UV or really fell in love with the area over the East side.

Employment:
I am gunning for a position with either UTEP or EPCC (or a smaller college in EP), or even NMSU or Dona Ana Community College (I would be willing to commute to Las Cruces, although if this was the case, we'd assuredly live in EP's West Side). I am a business fellow, so I am geared towards staff-level positions in education [eg: not faculty]. To this point I found a few postings that were a great fit for me financially and professionally that I responded to, however, have not been contacted in reply to either. So I will keep at it. I admittedly am not bilingual (although would like to be eventually as a goal), so that may be a drawback to my cause.

It is very encouraging to hear of another professional gunning towards making EP their home! I really appreciate your insights and perspectives here.

It is funny that you mention your kids picking EP over Disney. I chose EP for a mini-trip even though we live relatively close and go many other times recently over going to a SoCal beach...my wife thought I was nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso