Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 02:56 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,216,251 times

Advertisements

Is their any areas, you particularly, stay away from in El Paso? I know alot of people would say South El Paso, not me, ive never had problms, in this area, and i have walked through those streets pretty late at night. I would be pretty intimidated to walk though the "DEVILS TRIANGLE" at night, i know back in the day, you couldnt walk throught the "kennedys" after 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Sunset Heights, looks pretty desolated at night, kinda gloomy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 03:10 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,949,702 times
Levow, I guess that would be based on where you grew up. I know plenty of West Side kids that are deathly afraid of the North East, and there are areas over here I even avoid, like the area around Irvin and Diana and Dyer all the way down to Railroad, that little triangle there is an area I avoid. The Devils Triangle was a bad place, can still be because of the low income apartments and so forth in the area. My Mom and I owned a Bar at the very tip there called the Eagles Nest and we never had any problems.. it was across from the Hamburger stand. We moved it to where it is today and sold it a few years back. But out here near Andress and the like it has been rather tame and laid back. I don't fear the streets here either. So yeah I can see why some may fear south side, and others N.E. And even some other parts of town.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:32 PM

639 posts, read 1,042,946 times
South El Paso to me was always the forbidden zone, only because of hear say, I never knew anyone from there until they built the projects on which use to be my grandfathers and grandmothers estate down in the lower valley and even then I got along just fine with the project dwellers and made several freinds.

Northeast El Paso was always a low key profile area part of town, so I guess times have changed alot in the twenty years I've been away from El Paso, Northeast would never break the headlines until those desert graves started poping up back in the 80's, overall that part of town was always peaceful and desent.

Areas that I would stay away from would be Diablo, San Juan, Hacienda Heights, Loma Terrace, and parts of the Ysleta area, but like I hav'nt been expose to the El Paso area in several years, oh I know of one area that was really bad and that was right below UTEP on Paisano drive at night it was never safe to be around that area and that was just driving through it.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:48 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,830,573 times
When I was in El Paso (up until 1985), no one in the Angel's Triangle ever gave me any trouble; in fact, if somebody had used that name, I wouldn't have known where that was. Devil's Triangle was another name for the Bermuda Triangle. At one point I spent a lot of time downtown, much of it walking, but I'd never go south of Paisano on foot and I'd never go anywhere south of I-10 after dark. I was from outer Northeast and it seemed to just be something you didn't do.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:15 PM

507 posts, read 1,659,355 times
Im from the Northeast and the Devils Triangle is not a problem anymore. Crime has died down in that area. You have little to worry about. I wouldnt drive my Mercedes down there though, but it's not as bad as it used to be.

Now everytime I would go to a party in the Lower Valley, my parents and family would ALWAYS tell me to be careful! It was pretty funny. I don't think the lower valley is bad at all, but one part I did stay out of regarless was Chihuahuita, especially at night.

So to all the Westside kids afraid to go to the Northeast; You guys are hilarious! lol

Old 06-03-2008, 10:59 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
If my car broke down or I ran out of gas anywhere in town, I certainly wouldn't panic and I wouldn't be afraid of much -- but there are places I'd rather not be at certains times of the night.

It's not equally safe for everyone here. I know "hispanic" teens who say they've been jumped just for walking through a neighborhood someone didn't think they belonged in, you don't want to answer to the question "que barrio?". How dangerous it might be in some areas depends on age, race, and maybe gender. An older man of any race might be quite safe, a 17 year old male might be less safe.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:37 AM

2,625 posts, read 11,216,251 times
It's not equally safe for everyone here. I know "hispanic" teens who say they've been jumped just for walking through a neighborhood someone didn't think they belonged in, you don't want to answer to the question "que barrio?". How dangerous it might be in some areas depends on age, race, and maybe gender. An older man of any race might be quite safe, a 17 year old male might be less safe.

Very true, you hit the nail in the head. When i was a teen, back in the early 90's, i swear there was a gang, like every 3 blocks, you couldnt walk anywhere, without, watching your back. Just where i lived, their was dbt, 3 blocks away LSDL, farther down the road, to the west was Sherman, Diablo [no mans land], and further down on Alameda, the infamous Fatherless, to the east of me, was Los Wanderers, Salazar [no mans land also] then ofcourse in Segundo, their was Chihuahuita, vqs, Ninth St, Ochoa Kreeps, the mighty T birds, tbt, Varrio Third ST, Los Sixers, ssl, i was surrounded daily by gangs, it was a turbulent time back then! Now theirs only a couple of places, i would be scared to walk through [speaking as a man], nevertheless, i guess, its the luck of the draw.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:29 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post

Very true, you hit the nail in the head. When i was a teen, back in the early 90's, i swear there was a gang, like every 3 blocks, you couldnt walk anywhere, without, watching your back. Just where i lived, their was dbt, 3 blocks away LSDL, farther down the road, to the west was Sherman, Diablo [no mans land], and further down on Alameda, the infamous Fatherless, to the east of me, was Los Wanderers, Salazar [no mans land also] then ofcourse in Segundo, their was Chihuahuita, vqs, Ninth St, Ochoa Kreeps, the mighty T birds, tbt, Varrio Third ST, Los Sixers, ssl, i was surrounded daily by gangs, it was a turbulent time back then! Now theirs only a couple of places, i would be scared to walk through [speaking as a man], nevertheless, i guess, its the luck of the draw.

I've always thought that the scared looking white kid from the West Side somehow ending up having to walk through those areas would be most likely left alone. A 70 year woman or man of any race would most likely be left alone, maybe even assisted. I think most women of any age and race would do okay if walking through most places at 2 am, as would young children.

There are fewer incidents than in the 90's, so overall it might be safer but I sure wouldn't recommend to everyone that it would be safe to walk everywhere at all times of the night. There are those who would just be looking to get something started.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:27 PM

2 posts, read 24,999 times
You and me must off lived in the same neighborhood, I went to Bowie and Guillen, and yes there was gangs all over the place, although none of them ever hurt me. I was friendly with everyone, I guess that helped.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:41 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,493,275 times
I would feel safe at night pretty much anywhere in El Paso beside the bars on Dyer where the rowdier elements from Bliss like to party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso