Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 07:42 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyWife94e View Post
Im sure this has probably been asked before but here it is again. My husband has been offered Fort Bliss and is trying to decide if he wants to take it or not. We are currently at Fort Sill (Oklahoma) He will be going to 2 /1 armored division. Hes been in 16 years and we have been stationed all over the world..except Texas. What is Fort Bliss like, El Paso area, Is it safe, we were told that no one speaks english and the crime rate is high..is this true? We cant decide on if we want to stay here or go to Bliss. What is the weather like... Here in the summers it can get to 115. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
El Paso is pretty safe, not much violent crime like murder, plenty of burglaries and thefts and vandalism. On the army base and near it, there are people who speak English, English is not the primary language spoken in this city but that isn't a problem for Fort Bliss.

The weather here is wonderful. It never gets to 115 and 100 here feels like 85 in other places because of the low humidity. You could not live in Oklahoma comfortably without air conditioning but that is certainly possible here although many people prefer to have it. It only gets over 100 here a few days every summer and 100 and below is quite comfortable - like the 80s in other places. Humidity makes a big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 11:03 AM

158 posts, read 471,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
El Paso is pretty safe, not much violent crime like murder, plenty of burglaries and thefts and vandalism. On the army base and near it, there are people who speak English, English is not the primary language spoken in this city but that isn't a problem for Fort Bliss.

The weather here is wonderful. It never gets to 115 and 100 here feels like 85 in other places because of the low humidity. You could not live in Oklahoma comfortably without air conditioning but that is certainly possible here although many people prefer to have it. It only gets over 100 here a few days every summer and 100 and below is quite comfortable - like the 80s in other places. Humidity makes a big difference.
What malamute said about the heat and humidity is very true. After we arrived here, I was out in the garage and working directly outside the garage unpacking items for storage. It was pleasant and although I was working very hard physically I didn't even break a sweat. I walked back inside to catch the news and learned that it was 100 F that day.

Today is October 16, and I just came in from working in the yard for Halloween decorations, and it is so warm and pleasant outside. The sun is shining and it feels like an early summer day elsewhere in the south or southeast. Yet no humidity.

I think I really really love El Paso

Old 10-16-2009, 12:43 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,136,850 times
English is the primary language spoken in El Paso.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:34 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
English is the primary language spoken in El Paso.
This is my opinion as well. I've lived her for almost 40 years, don't speak Spanish and it's never been a problem.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:46 PM

524 posts, read 1,369,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armywifeandmom View Post
Oh and the weather, it's not much different from what you are used to up there in the summers with the exception that there is very little humidity here (it is the desert) and it's much milder than what you would expect. Summer is always intense in OK or TX but down here it seemed much more tolerable because of the very low humidity.
I wish I was in my hometown of EL Paso as the sun shines there almost every day...we have been having grey and rainy days in the metroplex since September..but the sun came out today for the first time in a long time!

Old 10-16-2009, 09:25 PM

197 posts, read 522,306 times
Thank you all so much, I never meant to offend any one and if I did Im sorry. My husband has been in the Army 16 years and Bliss is the only post I have worried about going to. Everyone that my husband talks to was at one point stationed there and they are ones telling my husband how bad it is. We just purchased our house here in Oklahoma in January 2009 and we are to PCS in July 2010...Im really upset about that, but thats the Army for you (I should have known better lol). Ok so here are a few more questions.. housing is it better to rent or buy, here it was actually cheaper to buy. How is the bug situation there, the only bugs I see here in homes are scorpions and spiders. Also does any one have any info on this unit 2 1 armored division, this is what is on my hubbys orders. How is MWR there.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Thank you all so much, I never meant to offend any one and if I did Im sorry. My husband has been in the Army 16 years and Bliss is the only post I have worried about going to. Everyone that my husband talks to was at one point stationed there and they are ones telling my husband how bad it is. We just purchased our house here in Oklahoma in January 2009 and we are to PCS in July 2010...Im really upset about that, but thats the Army for you (I should have known better lol). Ok so here are a few more questions.. housing is it better to rent or buy, here it was actually cheaper to buy. How is the bug situation there, the only bugs I see here in homes are scorpions and spiders. Also does any one have any info on this unit 2 1 armored division, this is what is on my hubbys orders. How is MWR there.
You might find you like Fort Bliss the best - some people do, but with El Paso, people tend to either like it very much or dislike it very much. I have found you cannot predict who will like it and who will not.

If it were me, I'd rent because if you don't stay and I believe many will not end up staying, then you have to sell a house and houses here don't always sell too quickly. Close to the base, houses probably sell better or you could buy one and rent if out if you leave. I'd rent at first at any rate.

I don't think bugs are a real problem here but what part of town you're in makes a difference. If you're up on the mountain, you'll likely encounter a scorpion that isn't too dangerous, centipedes and spiders. Close to the river you wouldn't see scorpions but would have mosquitos and flies and the usual spiders.

The mountains make for some spectacular views here.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSP View Post
This is my opinion as well. I've lived her for almost 40 years, don't speak Spanish and it's never been a problem.
Like I said, in some areas of town like Fort Bliss, it doesn't matter as much, and in some workplaces it isn't so much a problem but the language problem is why many many people leave this city. My guess is that military families don't have much problem because they are often stationed in Germany and other places where other languages are spoken.

It depends on the individual, how much they have to understand what people around them are saying, and the neighborhood they choose. Also there can be a problem finding a job if one isn't Spanish speaking.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XChucoresident View Post
I wish I was in my hometown of EL Paso as the sun shines there almost every day...we have been having grey and rainy days in the metroplex since September..but the sun came out today for the first time in a long time!

XChucoresident, I had lived in Cen Tex for nine years and I came to love Texas and consider it as my home.

But I had no idea about West Texas and when came here, for the first time in the almost 20 years I have been a military wife...I felt at home. Funny though, I was born and raised in KY and the green hills were always where I felt I had left my heart, but when I got here I realized that this is where my heart is now.

I hope so much that we can come back here to retire.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:

I don't think you offended anyone Armywife, those were valid concerns and questions.

1. I wouldn't buy a house here if you don't plan to retire. Just my feelings though. If he is PCS'ed again in a few years, you don't want to have two mortgages to worry about you know? Just my commonsensical approach in the current climate of the US economy.

Also, I know a lot of families want to live off post for various reasons but see what the housing office has to offer you here first before you make a rock solid choice. I have a single family dwelling on Biggs and it's 4 BDR, 2 full and half bath, open concept great room, walled in back yard, two car garage...ample storage outside and inside, Mst Bdr has walk in closet.

The home I live it at this time (a part of the Balfour communities housing) is only about 3 yrs old. We are enlisted.

2. The only bugs I saw here are crickets. There aren't so many now that summer has passed. We have seen some wolf spiders but they are outside not inside. I saw those though when we were at Hood in Cen Tex and I saw a lot of them (I don't see roaches, or tarantulas which I did see at hood)

We do have jackrabbits that run through the neighborhood at night. Cute. We were driving off post one night and as we passed the viaducts towards Airport Rd. (once you get here you will know where I'm talking about) and we did see a very small desert coyote. The first time I ever saw one.

They don't present a problem here, they appear to be frightened of humans.

3. I don't know anything about 1 AD, I'm sorry. I do know that we would like to stay here and if it's possible my Husband wants to see if they have a slot for him if they get here before he has orders. Probably not though.

4. MWR is awesome. I was very impressed, it's comparable to Hood and Hood it a huge instillation. When you get here and get settled in they have a 3 day tour you can take of Bliss and then they take you over to Mesilla NM for shopping. A lot of events scheduled every month. ACS is very good here too.

With you being a military wife for 16 yrs I know I don't have to tell you this but I'll mention it anyway. This instillation is transitioning from a TRADOC to a FORSCOM. 1 AD is coming here, and also there is talk of a BDE (air combat) from 1 CAV (i think 1 CAV, might be 4 ID but I don't think it is)...you know that FORSCOM means deployments of course. Not just deployments but a deployment cycle. Two different monsters~ LOL.

That is another reason I say see what's available for you here on post, because I don't know about you when my Big Daddy has deployed in the past I felt so much more comfortable living in a military community. Nothing against the community outside of the gates, but it's nice when everyone you see on a day to day basis understands exactly what you are experiencing, know what I mean?

Sorry for the long post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso