Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of John McCain?
Favorable 18 34.62%
Unfavorable 31 59.62%
No opinion 3 5.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 07:54 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
McCain2010, the John McCain adamantly opposed to the John McCain-Ted Kennedy immigration reform bill co-sponsored by McCain2005.

He's against it after he was for it.

Kinda mavericky in a weird anti-maverick sorta way...
I think he may have dementia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 08:02 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,407,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
I think he may have dementia.

Nope, he just sold his soul to the GOP, for a chance to be President. The sad thing is, Rand Paul would have to do the same thing, if things stayed the same. Lucky, the times is a changin'.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:28 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
McCain is a Progressive.

Those leaning Conservative, want him out!

Old 08-26-2010, 01:14 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
McCain is a Progressive.

Those leaning Conservative, want him out!
LOL, McCain's voting record is pretty solidly conservative.

However, aside from that if the conservatives really wanted to knock off McCain, they probably should have chosen someone other than JD Hayworth of all people to rally around. Typically those who lose their seats in Congress as a result of being involved in a scandal, (Jack Abramoff) don't exactly make good Senate candidates.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:16 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,702 times
There is a lot of old people in Arizona, they like voting for other old people. Keeps anti-kids on the lawn crowd happy, with laws promoting such.

But seriously, liked him alright in the past because he stood up on his principles whether or not I agreed, but now he's just a panderer, and he ran a terrible campaign. I still shake my head that he won the nomination, but then Huckabee might have been worse.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:51 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
There is a lot of old people in Arizona
Arizona is actually the fifth youngest state in the country.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 10-18-2010 at 07:47 AM..

Old 08-26-2010, 06:55 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
There is a lot of old people in Arizona, they like voting for other old people. Keeps anti-kids on the lawn crowd happy, with laws promoting such.

But seriously, liked him alright in the past because he stood up on his principles whether or not I agreed, but now he's just a panderer, and he ran a terrible campaign. I still shake my head that he won the nomination, but then Huckabee might have been worse.
When there is no incumbent GOP President seeking the nomination, the GOP almost invariably gives it to someone who 'came in second place' previously. And that described McCain in 2008 (he came in second for the nomination in 2000). Ditto for Dole in 1996 (came in second in 1988), Bush in 1988 (came in second in 1980), Reagan in 1980 (came in second in 1976) and Nixon in 1968 (came in second in the general election in 1960).

The only exception to this trend over the past 40+ years is 2000, when George W. Bush had never previously sought the nomination - however, that was a year in which no one who had ever previously finished second was seeking the nomination.

This trend points to Romney (or, arguably, Huckabee, though I have several problems with such an argument) in 2012.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:07 PM

406 posts, read 495,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
LOL, McCain's voting record is pretty solidly conservative.

However, aside from that if the conservatives really wanted to knock off McCain, they probably should have chosen someone other than JD Hayworth of all people to rally around. Typically those who lose their seats in Congress as a result of being involved in a scandal, (Jack Abramoff) don't exactly make good Senate candidates.

Campaign Finance Reform - He just spent $22 million on the primary.
Amnesty - Remember that Kennedy co-sponsored bill.

Just a couple examples. McCain tends to lean right when election time rolls around, his voting record is more moderate than conservative.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:21 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambini View Post
Campaign Finance Reform - He just spent $22 million on the primary.
Amnesty - Remember that Kennedy co-sponsored bill.

Just a couple examples. McCain tends to lean right when election time rolls around, his voting record is more moderate than conservative.
He doesn't exactly have a hard core conservative record such as an Inhofe or Demint. His opponent Hayworth is a hard core conservative as well similar to an Inhofe or Demint, and clearly to the right of McCain. However his overall voting record is quite conservative and generally always has been. He has broken from his party on some issues, but still votes with his party more often than not. He isn't and never has been anywhere close to a Susan Collins or Olympia Snowe. I wish he was, but he never has been.

For those who want a more hard-core conservative have at it, but I just don't comprehend rallying around someone like Hayworth. Yeah Hayworth is pretty far to the right, and no question further right than McCain but the right wingers probably could have found someone more conservative than McCain that didn't get thrown out of office by the voters due to his corruption ties with Abramoff. That I just don't get.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:35 PM

406 posts, read 495,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
He doesn't exactly have a hard core conservative record such as an Inhofe or Demint. His opponent Hayworth is a hard core conservative as well similar to an Inhofe or Demint, and clearly to the right of McCain. However his overall voting record is quite conservative and generally always has been. He has broken from his party on some issues, but still votes with his party more often than not. He isn't and never has been anywhere close to a Susan Collins or Olympia Snowe. I wish he was, but he never has been.

For those who want a more hard-core conservative have at it, but I just don't comprehend rallying around someone like Hayworth. Yeah Hayworth is pretty far to the right, and no question further right than McCain but the right wingers probably could have found someone more conservative than McCain that didn't get thrown out of office by the voters due to his corruption ties with Abramoff. That I just don't get.
I agree with you. Its just one of those its better than the alternative votes for Hayworth. Hayworths name was never brought up in the Abramoff hearing, he did have dealing with Abramoff just not illegal ones. I wish a stronger candidate had run but since there wasn't we get stuck with McCain for another 6 years.

The reason McCain scares me is that this will be his last term and now nobody can hold him accountable. I don't like the policies he has tried to push in the past and I don't trust him to keep this conservative transformation for the next 6 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections