Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 04:39 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,797,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Most people approve of states deciding.
And 32 states SAID no!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 04:58 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,269,548 times
The states may now say no, but the tides are turning, as they should.

Poll: 51% back Obama's endorsement of gay marriage | GlobalPost

Half of Americans Support Legal Gay Marriage

Old 05-15-2012, 05:35 PM

758 posts, read 592,297 times
While I do believe that states have rights, they still should answer to the federal government. We have a Constitution for a reason. If we're going to let the states govern themselves entirely, we might as well grant them all their sovereignty and become a continent of 50 different countries. Then all the Southern States can rename themselves Jesusland and become theocracies like Iran. Anyone who is gay, non-Christian, or doesn't attend church can be stoned to death as would those who engage in premarital sex.

Then they can all have their own currencies, but of course wages and money values would be much lower in the South. In which case, those who want to have a better quality of life can emigrate to California or wherever. Then they'll have to wait in line to get their green cards which would probably be more expensive because the currency would be less in value. Then those Southerners would understand first-hand what the migrant workers from Mexico have to endure every day.

Let's use them for cheap labor. All the while, Walmart, Nike, and several other corporations can start outsourcing jobs to Mississippi and Alabama and start running sweatshops there because the people think paying taxes, environmental laws, and unions are all evil liberal entities. Then when those corporations make little kids start working in dangerous places and dumping toxic chemicals into the water which makes the people downstream start pooing their brains out, we can all learn a valuable experience. Then we can ask them how evil those labor unions, minimum wages, and the EPA are.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
While I do believe that states have rights, they still should answer to the federal government. We have a Constitution for a reason. If we're going to let the states govern themselves entirely, we might as well grant them all their sovereignty and become a continent of 50 different countries. Then all the Southern States can rename themselves Jesusland and become theocracies like Iran. Anyone who is gay, non-Christian, or doesn't attend church can be stoned to death as would those who engage in premarital sex.

Then they can all have their own currencies, but of course wages and money values would be much lower in the South. In which case, those who want to have a better quality of life can emigrate to California or wherever. Then they'll have to wait in line to get their green cards which would probably be more expensive because the currency would be less in value. Then those Southerners would understand first-hand what the migrant workers from Mexico have to endure every day.

Let's use them for cheap labor. All the while, Walmart, Nike, and several other corporations can start outsourcing jobs to Mississippi and Alabama and start running sweatshops there because the people think paying taxes, environmental laws, and unions are all evil liberal entities. Then when those corporations make little kids start working in dangerous places and dumping toxic chemicals into the water which makes the people downstream start pooing their brains out, we can all learn a valuable experience. Then we can ask them how evil those labor unions, minimum wages, and the EPA are.

That is the most cosmic spastic interpretation known to mankind; your name is well chosen!

A demon featured in German folklore! Yes indeed - I was RIGHT - your name is very well chosen. Put the "pipe" (dream) down!

This is America (it used to be before Obama) Whew... are you a "czar"??

Old 05-15-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
30 STATES SAID NO!!! did you flunk simple math ??

So how is 51% possible? doh!!

Not only can't you read - you can't even add !!
Just because 30 states said no doesn't mean jack. How many black people, foreigners, openly gay couples, and Non-Christians live in those states? How many of those groups I just mentioned live in Idaho, Utah, Montana, and most of those other 30 states? Do you think California, New York, and most of the diverse states approved of it? Many states also legalized slavery, but that didn't make it right.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
That is the most cosmic spastic interpretation known to mankind; your name is well chosen!
Oh yeah? Don't forget about outlawing abortions as well and taking away women's rights. I'm sure most of those women in the South just love the idea of being forced to be homemakers and staying home barefoot, pregnant, and uneducated. Yep!

Old 05-15-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
I'm not the biggest fan of Obama's, but so many of the whack job stories about him are just too much. Hopefully with a bit more time, his policies will start to pan out, if not, well, I don't know. I do know one thing, Michigan was one of, if not the, hardest hit by the down economy, but it's on the way up again, slowly, very slowly, but it is moving.

I guess you haven't heard the good news comrade!!

200 acres were just purchased... ... for one purpose in Michigan!!

A 100% Chinese only CITY!!

THREE DIFFERENT LINKS TO THE TRUTH!!

Old 05-15-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post

You're right, that is why we have a Constitution. Although I don't see the states going the way you have described, the reality of states going completely on their own does give your statement it is possibility.

That being said, do you believe same-sex marriage should be written into the Constitution?

Just wondering.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
You're right, that is why we have a Constitution. Although I don't see the states going the way you have described, the reality of states going completely on their own does give your statement it is possibility.

That being said, do you believe same-sex marriage should be written into the Constitution?

Just wondering.
Absolutely! Gay people have just as much right to marry as straight people. If it's okay for people to marry outside their race and religion, then I see no reason why it should be illegal for gay couples to marry. If it's okay to marry your first cousin and screw farm animals in places like North Carolina, that proves my point further. Gay marriages are inconsequential for they aren't hurting anything or anybody.

The federal, state, and local governments should be concerned about more pressing issues like unemployment, joblessness, education, global warming, the war on terror, bringing home the troops from Iraq, and whatnot. All these have far more significant impact on our society than two people of the same gender tying the knot. When New York State legalized gay marriages, the polar ice caps didn't melt; Iran didn't invade; and Al-Qaida didn't launch another attack.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I guess you haven't heard the good news comrade!!

200 acres were just purchased... ... for one purpose in Michigan!!

A 100% Chinese only CITY!!
So what?
'tis all good.

We have Greek Town, Dearborn (the largest single population of Muslims in the US).

Not far from where I live is the only Finnish radio station in the US, lots of Fins up here.

The idea behind the proposal is to encourage Chinese investors to open businesses here and take advantage of in-state tuition at the University of Michigan, saving tens of thousands of dollars per student.
From The Detroit News: Chinatown in works near Ann Arbor | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

Why are you such a bigot and so prejudice Sity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections