Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 10:55 AM

37,808 posts, read 41,097,858 times

Advertisements

Rick Perry has what no other candidate, including the President has...and that is a proven track record on job creation and it doesn't hurt that he:

has several years with governing experience (more than 10 years)

was a pilot (Captain) in the US Air Force

was chairman of the Republican Governor's Association

was a book salesman

was a boy scout/eagle scout as a kid

went into the farming business with his dad - degree in animal science

served in the state legislature

as Governor, is not afraid of the veto: he rejected legislation a total of 82 times, more than any other governor in any single legislative session in the history of the state since Reconstruction.

was the Agriculture Commissioner for Texas

Fiscal conservative - no state income tax in Texas

acted in a bipartisan manner when he asked a political rival to head an education task force charged with preparing a bipartisan education plan. The task force issued its plan and the legislature adopted it.

Pro-life

supports an "all of the above" energy strategy (including oil, coal, nuclear, biofuels, hydroelectric, solar, and wind energy).

The way I see it he has a rural and urban background making him appealing to more types of people.

Thinks the federal government is too big: Rick Perry: "I believe that our federal government has become oppressive in its size, its intrusion into the lives of our citizens, and its interference with the affairs of our State. That is why I am here today to express my unwavering support for efforts all across our country to reaffirm the States' rights affirmed by the Tenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. I believe that returning to the letter and spirit of the U.S. Constitution and its essential 10th Amendment will free our State from undue regulations, and ultimately strengthen our Union."

Married, two kids

Biggest uh-oh in his resume that I can see:

was a Democrat until 1989

Rick Perry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 11:06 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,976,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
are you missing something? I don't think you love Democrats as much as you hate all Republicans. It doesn't matter who's name is mentioned you have a negeative comment to make, nothing positive and never really contributing much except to blast Republicans.

Nita
Has nothing to do with political Parties, it has to do with agendas and POVs. I disagree with Liberals in general on several subjects but disagree with some of the so-called conservative POVs here more often. FYI, I do not HATE anyone just because of their political view points, I learned long ago that someone that may be very against my POV on one issue can also be someone that stands by me 100% on another issue. Problem is we too often see someones name a our opinion is already on edge before even reading what they are saying, everyone does it, human nature being what it is and discussion boards being what they are. An example would be if you read my points on gun ownership you will see that I agree with consevatives more often than I do with many liberals.
Casper

Old 06-09-2011, 03:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,978,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Has nothing to do with political Parties, it has to do with agendas and POVs. I disagree with Liberals in general on several subjects but disagree with some of the so-called conservative POVs here more often. FYI, I do not HATE anyone just because of their political view points, I learned long ago that someone that may be very against my POV on one issue can also be someone that stands by me 100% on another issue. Problem is we too often see someones name a our opinion is already on edge before even reading what they are saying, everyone does it, human nature being what it is and discussion boards being what they are. An example would be if you read my points on gun ownership you will see that I agree with consevatives more often than I do with many liberals.
Casper
glad to hear you believe in something the conservatives or moderate stand for. That is a start.

Nita

Old 06-09-2011, 03:19 PM

589 posts, read 377,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Rick Perry has what no other candidate, including the President has...and that is a proven track record on job creation and it doesn't hurt that he:

was a book salesman

as Governor, is not afraid of the veto: he rejected legislation a total of 82 times, more than any other governor in any single legislative session in the history of the state since Reconstruction.

acted in a bipartisan manner when he asked a political rival to head an education task force charged with preparing a bipartisan education plan. The task force issued its plan and the legislature adopted it.

Pro-life

supports an "all of the above" energy strategy (including oil, coal, nuclear, biofuels, hydroelectric, solar, and wind energy).

The way I see it he has a rural and urban background making him appealing to more types of people.

Thinks the federal government is too big: Rick Perry: "I believe that our federal government has become oppressive in its size, its intrusion into the lives of our citizens, and its interference with the affairs of our State. That is why I am here today to express my unwavering support for efforts all across our country to reaffirm the States' rights affirmed by the Tenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. I believe that returning to the letter and spirit of the U.S. Constitution and its essential 10th Amendment will free our State from undue regulations, and ultimately strengthen our Union."

Married, two kids

Very good post

Old 06-09-2011, 03:19 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,430,572 times
If the Republicans seriously nominate Rick Perry, I never, ever, for the rest of the future of the Republican party, want to here them ever label another person with differing political views as "Anti-American".

The most Anti-American thing a place can do is secede. The most Anti-American thing someone can do is talk about secession. Rick Perry has talked about it.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
If the Republicans seriously nominate Rick Perry, I never, ever, for the rest of the future of the Republican party, want to here them ever label another person with differing political views as "Anti-American".

The most Anti-American thing a place can do is secede. The most Anti-American thing someone can do is talk about secession. Rick Perry has talked about it.
No, Obama is anti-american, he's President of The Blue States of America, not of the USA.Texas is the best state for job growth, Obama hates it for that because economic policies of Texas are different of what he does and they work...He attacks Texas via EPA and other things.
If Obama wants to destroy Texas, Texas must go, the USA is a country for all states, not just for President's friends.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flize View Post
No, Obama is anti-american, he's President of The Blue States of America, not of the USA.Texas is the best state for job growth, Obama hates it for that because economic policies of Texas are different of what he does and they work...He attacks Texas via EPA and other things.
If Obama wants to destroy Texas, Texas must go, the USA is a country for all states, not just for President's friends.

Really? I see "44th President of the United States" as his official job title. Even if you disagree with Obama (and clearly you do, although your reasoning is absolutely silly)... you don't elect a secessionist as President of the United States. What is more regional than that? Heck, Canada might as well have let the Bloc Quebecois become the government on Parliament Hill.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Really? I see "44th President of the United States" as his official job title. Even if you disagree with Obama (and clearly you do, although your reasoning is absolutely silly)... you don't elect a secessionist as President of the United States. What is more regional than that? Heck, Canada might as well have let the Bloc Quebecois become the government on Parliament Hill.
Obama wants to close plants in Texas and South Carolina, he's extremely partisan.He's President, but he sees a big part of the country as ennemy.
The President must be President of all Americans, not just liberal states of the Coasts.
Why Texas and others should stay if a President hate them and want to destroy their economy ? Rick Perry said he exaggerated, and I can understand that, he can be angry.He doesn't want to secede, he wants a President friendly to the states, ALL states.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flize View Post
Obama wants to close plants in Texas and South Carolina, he's extremely partisan.He's President, but he sees a big part of the country as ennemy.
The President must be President of all Americans, not just liberal states of the Coasts.
Why Texas and others should stay if a President hate them and want to destroy their economy ? Rick Perry said he exaggerated, and I can understand that, he can be angry.He doesn't want to secede, he wants a President friendly to the states, ALL states.
Which plants? Are those the same ones that fly the Chinese and American flags side by side? I know those exist in both SC and Texas.

I want to close those too, as do most Americans who actually care about the economy and understand it.

You say Obama is extremely partisan and sees a big party of the country as "ennemy". Okay then. What do you call Perry? What do you call this hatred you obviously have of the "coasts" and "liberal areas"?

Old 06-09-2011, 03:44 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,232,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

was a book salesman

Pro-life

Married, two kids

He also was a yell leader at A&M, leader of the 12th Man.

Those in Texas who don't like Perry are just disappointed to see their agendas get slighted. Perry's goals in the Texas budget are goals we need in the U.S. budget.

Cut the government's budget, reduce it's labor force, shut down unnecessary waste. Adjust accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections