Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 11:39 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times

Advertisements

In 2012, will the unemployed vote for the candidate who looks like he/she has a good record of job creation or will the unemployed vote for the person they think will give them more money/extend their benefits based on their past history?

My presumption (and you can say so if you think I'm wrong), is the Number 1 2012 issue for the unemployed will be related to their unemployment status and no candidate will be for both of these scenarios but one or the other.

Your answer doesn't have to name candidate names. I'm more interested in which scenario you think the unemployed are interested when they vote.

Also, do you think the unemployed will be a big voting demo in 2012 or will they stay home on Election Day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 11:40 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,265,022 times
Republicans will knock the unemployed off the voting rolls.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
In 2012, will the unemployed vote for the candidate who looks like he/she has a good record of job creation or will the unemployed vote for the person they think will give them more money/extend their benefits based on their past history?

My presumption (and you can say so if you think I'm wrong), is the Number 1 2012 issue for the unemployed will be related to their unemployment status and no candidate will be for both of these scenarios but one or the other.

Your answer doesn't have to name candidate names. I'm more interested in which scenario you think the unemployed are interested when they vote.

Also, do you think the unemployed will be a big voting demo in 2012 or will they stay home on Election Day?
It depends on a couple of things: 1-who is the nominee, I think a plan to create jobs will be more important than the actuall benefit exptensions. 2-some will vote, some will not, it is going to depend on the reason of the job loss and their overall attitude toward work. Nearly all Republicans vote and they will most like vote Republican whether or not they are employed.

Nita

Old 06-17-2011, 04:05 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Republicans will knock the unemployed off the voting rolls.
That would be the stupidest thing they could do. But I don't put it past them. It is not just the unemployed, but their families and those who fear they will be next.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:59 PM

865 posts, read 676,423 times
Most of my family had lost their jobs in the last few years, and all of us are voting for the same person. Most of my family is active in campaigning issues and candidates(local and national), highly educated, and take whatever work is available regardless of pay or labor. I might be the luckiest of the group, because I have been employed, but that doesn't put me in the bubble of people who aren't really aware of how deep the economic climate is. We all participate in groups fighting for the same causes, economic think tanks, and many other groups as a community.
The unemployed are paying more attention to policies now than anytime before in their lifetimes, and while I can't speak for everyone, I would not consider those who have been affected the most, to sit on their hands and not do anything. I would go as far, as to say, if anyone that is unemployed in my family were to find work on any election days, and their employer told them that they would be fired if they missed time to vote(while it is illegal, we have all run into bad employers at some time in our lives that ignore the law), they would ignore their superiors to make sure they do vote, even if they know they will get fired. That is how important these upcoming elections are to my family.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:13 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInAmerica View Post
Most of my family had lost their jobs in the last few years, and all of us are voting for the same person. Most of my family is active in campaigning issues and candidates(local and national), highly educated, and take whatever work is available regardless of pay or labor. I might be the luckiest of the group, because I have been employed, but that doesn't put me in the bubble of people who aren't really aware of how deep the economic climate is. We all participate in groups fighting for the same causes, economic think tanks, and many other groups as a community.
The unemployed are paying more attention to policies now than anytime before in their lifetimes, and while I can't speak for everyone, I would not consider those who have been affected the most, to sit on their hands and not do anything. I would go as far, as to say, if anyone that is unemployed in my family were to find work on any election days, and their employer told them that they would be fired if they missed time to vote(while it is illegal, we have all run into bad employers at some time in our lives that ignore the law), they would ignore their superiors to make sure they do vote, even if they know they will get fired. That is how important these upcoming elections are to my family.
A non-issue. You can always vote absentee. In Illinois you can even vote ahead of the election at certain places. The unemployed have no excuse not to vote and that does not bode well for incumbents.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:17 PM

40 posts, read 140,913 times
I'm fortunate considering I was offered an Early Retirement with a pension that began immediately. After 30 years of working for the US Navy, restructuring of the workforce, placed me in the group with those who are highly experienced, has a degree, and can't even find a job making min. wages! 252 applications and still no offers- lots of promises, but still sitting at home placing applications on-line.

I know who I will not vote for next election!

Old 06-17-2011, 05:30 PM

865 posts, read 676,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
A non-issue. You can always vote absentee. In Illinois you can even vote ahead of the election at certain places. The unemployed have no excuse not to vote and that does not bode well for incumbents.
That is just a hypothetical that demonstrates the dedication we have. But thanks.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:54 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,024,957 times
I think they will Vote Obama..
The Fact that the republicans would not extend unemployment benefits (or atleast made it harder then it had to be) unless they got a tax cut for the Rich will used against the Republicans.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:48 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,314,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
I think they will Vote Obama..
The Fact that the republicans would not extend unemployment benefits (or atleast made it harder then it had to be) unless they got a tax cut for the Rich will used against the Republicans.

Most of those who lost their jobs LOST THEM BECAUSE of Obama, Pelosi and Reid.

Only a selfish person would believe that unemployment should be paid forever.

If the dems who had total control for 2 years and were handed 800 BILLION to create jobs would have done their job those people would not be in that spot.

Hows those shovel ready jobs doing?
How about all those high paying new energy jobs doing?
Tell the thousands of oil workers who got canned because of Obama this BS.
Tell the 11 factory/plants in my hometown who have lost their jobs on Obama watch this?

Smart people wont blame reps, only selfish people will.

Smart people will see WHY they dont have a job.

Obama, his record speaks for itself, 5 million lost jobs since he took over, and 4 million have been taken off the roles.

800 billion dollars he stole from us and was suppose to create jobs FAILED.

Since 2007 when the dems took control of congress America has declined quickly and jobs have went away.

If you are unemployed thank a democrat for it, they have run the country for 4 years now and look at what they have done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections