Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 10:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
From my vantage point, experience in politics seems to help people get elected. I'm not convinced it helps them govern well.

Our history has been to vote in those with political experience. How's that working for us?
You didn't answer the question: what type of a candidate would you like to see and who? Everyone has pros and cons. Until recently we really had little to conplain about. Remember the Pres can only do so much. We need to elect someone that comes as close as possible to sharing the beliefs we have, regardless of those beliefs. You might feel one way, I another, but there has to be a candidate that appeals to each of us. Then we need to pay very close attention to those we elect to congress.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 11:31 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,353,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You didn't answer the question: what type of a candidate would you like to see and who? Everyone has pros and cons. Until recently we really had little to conplain about. Remember the Pres can only do so much. We need to elect someone that comes as close as possible to sharing the beliefs we have, regardless of those beliefs. You might feel one way, I another, but there has to be a candidate that appeals to each of us. Then we need to pay very close attention to those we elect to congress.

Nita
Fair enough....I just cringe at the "must have experience in politics" argument (for reasons I intimated previously).

My guy is Rand Paul. Too bad he is not running (and I believe he would have had his father not run again…since he’s said so much).
He is smart. He just recently got into political office. He is well-spoken. He is principled and understands US history and why/how we are in this mess. That is my ideal candidate.

That said, I’m heading up to Ames, Iowa Saturday to vote in the straw poll and will need to cast my vote for one of the candidates who is actually running. I have my favs, but I have tonight’s debate, my chance to hear candidates tomorrow (at the Iowa State Fair), and Saturday afternoon at the straw poll prior to voting before I need to make a final decision. (OK….wow….as a political junkie, sometimes I have to pinch myself that I’m able to get this level of access to Prez candidates….yes it is probably disproportionate, but it is what it is and I do my best take advantage of it).

Last edited by capitalcityguy; 08-11-2011 at 11:54 AM..

Old 08-11-2011, 11:46 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,283,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
The answer is yes, he has. You do not have to see the attraction, but I am answering your question.

If you want to see someone who have spent his life in the private sector and then decided to run for Pres, you would be looking at a candidate with no real experince in politics? Which way do you want it? You can choose a candidate that has spent the majoritiy of his/her adult life in politics, one who know little about the political system or one that has spent her political career as a representative with no executive experience. Or, or couse you can support an Obama, those are our choices, not just this election but most elections.

Nita
Perry has no executive experience...

He is the longest service "do nothing" governor...

This is how political power is distributed in Texas (in this order):
1. David Dewhurst, Lieutenant Governor
2. Texas Secretary of State
3. Texas Railroad Commission
4. Texas Senate
5. Texas House
6. Mayors
7. City Council Members
8. Me and you
9. My dog
10. Rick Perry

Old 08-11-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
Fair enough....I just cringe at the "must have experience in politics" argument (for reasons I intimated previously).

My guy is Rand Paul. Too bad he is not running (and I believe he would have had his father not run again…since he’s said so much).
He is smart. He just recently got into political office. He is well-spoken. He is principled and understands US history and why/how we are in this mess. That is my ideal candidate.

That said, I’m heading up to Ames, Iowa Saturday to vote in the straw poll and will need to cast my vote for one of the candidates who is actually running. I have my favs, but I have tonight’s debate, my chance to hear candidates tomorrow (at the Iowa State Fair), and Saturday afternoon at the straw poll prior to voting before I need to make a final decision. (OK….wow….as a political junkie, sometimes I have to pinch myself that I’m able to get this level of access to Prez candidates….yes it is probably disproportionate, but it is what it is and I do my best take advantage of it).
[i] think I like Rand as well, but time will tell. Remember he has only been in office a little over 6 months and lots of things can happen in the next few years. We will have him, Rubio and possibly Christi among others to watch. Again, can Rand Paul win in the future? Like his dad, that certainly is something to think about.

Nita

Old 08-11-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Perry has no executive experience...

He is the longest service "do nothing" governor...

This is how political power is distributed in Texas (in this order):
1. David Dewhurst, Lieutenant Governor
2. Texas Secretary of State
3. Texas Railroad Commission
4. Texas Senate
5. Texas House
6. Mayors
7. City Council Members
8. Me and you
9. My dog
10. Rick Perry
Have it your way: the libs and a few others on here, just simply do not like him so let's pick everything apart. In one breath you say he has done lots of bad things in Texas and two minutes later you say, he has done nothing..

Nita

Old 08-11-2011, 02:25 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,633,157 times
Default Rick perry for president!!!

It's Official.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry Is Running For President

HALLELUJAH!!!! I think a Perry/Romney ticket would get this country out of the crap Obama has made WORSE!!!!!!

Old 08-11-2011, 02:28 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,370,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Californians flee to Texas in droves. He must be doing something right.
Funny but that's one of the few things I hold against Perry.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:36 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,653,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
It's Official.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry Is Running For President

HALLELUJAH!!!! I think a Perry/Romney ticket would get this country out of the crap Obama has made WORSE!!!!!!
Right on! Now the Union can secede from itself! That will p*** those damn liburals!

Old 08-11-2011, 02:47 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,574,087 times
First off, let me clarify by stating that I live in Houston. My status update is a reference to "Too Close for Comfort".

Yes, I'm a liberal. I think this is well known. I have also lived all over the country. Here are just a few of the reasons Perry would never beat Obama:

-Texas is in a lot of debt. How can you argue Obama's model doesn't work when yours is arguably worse?
-Perry participated in a prayer rally that appeared to be Christian only.
-Perry is afraid to debate.
-Perry has created the most jobs in the country. If he runs for president, he will be exposed as a fraud as so many of these jobs pay nothing and have no benefits.
-Perry can't tout his toughness on illegal immigration as all he does is waffle on the issue
-A lot of states that could potentially turn red in 2012 will not vote for another Texan

Old 08-11-2011, 02:47 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,597,985 times
It's the holy Bush!!! No!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections