Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 05:46 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,199,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Did you read "Republicans" have a opposed the Department of Education because they supported segregated school systems? That's funny. I read "conservatives," which is accurate.
Please cite some data, evidence, or other credible fact that says "conservatives" support segregated school systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 06:43 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,996,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
if the interstates hadn't been built by govt they would've been built by the private sector. would they be as widespread? probably not. would that be such a bad thing ie less urban sprawl. i don't think so. would we be as dependent on automobiles and foreign oil? i don't think so. might we have thought up some yet uninvented way of getting around. if electrical companies didn't expand with govt money might we be further along with off-grid technology?

make no mistake we'd be living in a different country, but i don't see that as such a bad thing.

There is a good example of a nation that up until 1991 resisted the automobile age and was perfectly content to rely on railroads to move goods and people from city to city. There were no super highways and the waiting list for a badly made copy of a FIAT was as long as 12 years if you didn't have pull. This nation wasn't without technical prowess they even once landed a robot on the Moon and sent it on a trek of many kilometers. Now I agree living in this nation wasn't such a bad thing, heh, heh, heh

Old 09-08-2011, 06:59 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,657,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Please cite some data, evidence, or other credible fact that says "conservatives" support segregated school systems.
Again, the OP said that conservatives supportED segregated school systems. That's an accurate statement.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:02 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,985,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Bachmann: Why is there a Department of Education? – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

....... (deep silence) ............

Any opinions on cutting the Dept. of Education?
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once and a while.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:07 AM

913 posts, read 873,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
There probably were some but not as much as there are today. Although, I do agree with you somewhat about how some bachelor's degrees are no better than having a high school diploma nowadays. I use myself as an example, I graduated from the University last December and I still can't find a job (according to a newspaper article written weeks ago 85% of college grads can't find a job). The reason is that they all want experience; the only places willing to train you are those that don't require a degree. However, I didn't go to school 5 years and got myself in debt to end up working at McDonalds or some other customer service type job.

As for college being cheaper; I'm not so sure about that. It may seem cheaper to us if we see the bill but it's likely worth as much as it was today? Keep in mind that 50 years ago $100 were worth more than they are today

most of the college degrees people study today are absolutely worthless. we have enough psychologists, lawyers, historians, english majors, librarians, mba's, archeologists, journalists etc for a country with a population 5000 times bigger than ours.

in addition, most of these degrees are not needed to do the work these graduates end up doing. an accountant for example would be much better off starting as a trainee at an accounting firm, and earning a pittance. that way he gets trained and makes a few bob rather than reading textbooks, racking up $100grand in student debt and then arriving for the first day of work not knowing how to make entries into a general ledger!

while we're chugging out these worthless degrees why don't we examine an area where there clearly are shortages namely medicine. how come is it that 60000 of the nations smartest kids apply for med school and only a quarter of them get places? we seem to have enough places for people studying psychology why is it that we don't have enough fopr would be doctors?

Old 09-09-2011, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
As for college being cheaper; I'm not so sure about that. It may seem cheaper to us if we see the bill but it's likely worth as much as it was today? Keep in mind that 50 years ago $100 were worth more than they are today

well i am sure about it. college, inflation adjusted, is much more expensive today than it was 50 years ago. why? govt guaranteed student loans, pell grants and gi benefits! today universities are loaded with non essential staff like administrators (earning huge salaries btw), sports coaches and advisors to teach kids how to wipe their behinds aka holding the the hands of little children and guiding them through a college degree. if anyone can't read through a college prospectus, decide which courses they need and get on with it, there are loads of jobs at walmart. may as well save themslves some money because they can have all the college degrees they like, if they can't navigate college without a stream of advisors, walmart or chuckeeeeee cheese is exactly where they're going to end up!

Old 09-09-2011, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
There is a good example of a nation that up until 1991 resisted the automobile age and was perfectly content to rely on railroads to move goods and people from city to city. There were no super highways and the waiting list for a badly made copy of a FIAT was as long as 12 years if you didn't have pull. This nation wasn't without technical prowess they even once landed a robot on the Moon and sent it on a trek of many kilometers. Now I agree living in this nation wasn't such a bad thing, heh, heh, heh

there you go putting words in my mouth. i said nothing about resisting the automobile age. perhaps there might not be as many roads. all i'm suggesting is that if a road wasn't built because the private sector deemed there wasn't enough demand (i'm referrring to some roads we have now which cost billions to build and maintain and serve very few people) perhaps those people would have found alternative ways to connect to the world and those resources would be better used elsewhere.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:45 AM

865 posts, read 677,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
well i am sure about it. college, inflation adjusted, is much more expensive today than it was 50 years ago. why? govt guaranteed student loans, pell grants and gi benefits! today universities are loaded with non essential staff like administrators (earning huge salaries btw), sports coaches and advisors to teach kids how to wipe their behinds aka holding the the hands of little children and guiding them through a college degree. if anyone can't read through a college prospectus, decide which courses they need and get on with it, there are loads of jobs at walmart. may as well save themslves some money because they can have all the college degrees they like, if they can't navigate college without a stream of advisors, walmart or chuckeeeeee cheese is exactly where they're going to end up!
Not forgetting to mention, the education quality has gone down the toilet.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:12 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,606,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInAmerica View Post
Not forgetting to mention, the education quality has gone down the toilet.
I agree with you somewhat it all depends on the professor though. I had a Biology class where the average class test score came out to be 57 and the professor had to curve the score to get more C grades. I think that's cheating if they didn't do good they shouldn't have to curve the grades. Now it's not to say that all professors do this, I knew some who wouldn't curve even if the class average was bad.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:30 PM

20,476 posts, read 12,402,260 times
I just checked again, and I still want to ax the department of education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections