Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 09:00 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,951,415 times

Advertisements

More hypocrisy from the right. All presidential candidates are scrutinized (some more than others, see Barack Obama)! Why should one side be scrutinized more than another? Why would we ignore the skeletons they may have in their closet? Should we just vote for them simply for the R with no questions asked? Why even bother with an election? Why not just vote today?

Why is it that Republicans seem to think that they should never be questioned, but constantly attempt to discredit, deny, block or do whatever it takes to prove that they are "right" and democrats are wrong? Why is this okay? The Republicans have no problem keeping millions of Americans uemployed just to get one man out of a job.

Not only do truths come out during a campaign but lies and rumors do as well and it never seems to bother anyone on the right when the person being attacked or scrutinized is on the left. It is a double-edged sword, get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 09:01 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,551,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Why are liberals questioning if Perry, Romney, Bachman, etc. are qualified for being the next President?

If Obama could become the President than any Rep. candidate is qualified...they all have better records than Obama have!

A community organizer became the President, we all know how that turned out to be....
By your own admission you are saying that "we" screwed up by not vetting Obama enough, by not digging enough in his background, by electing someone unqualified.

So we should make those same mistakes again on "your" candidates?

Two wrongs don't make a right.

We should all be trying to find the BEST candidate and doing our due diligence on them ALL, including the incumbent. If you are saying "we" screwed up with Obama, then you should have no problem with "us" trying to do better this time around… right?

Old 09-16-2011, 09:04 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,176,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
More hypocrisy from the right. All presidential candidates are scrutinized (some more than others, see Barack Obama)! Why should one side be scrutinized more than another? Why would we ignore the skeletons they may have in their closet? Should we just vote for them simply for the R with no questions asked? Why even bother with an election? Why not just vote today?

Why is it that Republicans seem to think that they should never be questioned, but constantly attempt to discredit, deny, block or do whatever it takes to prove that they are "right" and democrats are wrong? Why is this okay? The Republicans have no problem keeping millions of Americans uemployed just to get one man out of a job.

Not only do truths come out during a campaign but lies and rumors do as well and it never seems to bother anyone on the right when the subject of attacks or scrutiny is on the left. It is a double-edged sword, get over it.
We do want these questions asked, but we also want to point out that none of these questions mattered to the mainstream media when 0bama was running for president. Any of the current candidates is eminently more qualified then 0bama was, and he was given a pass on his lack of qualifications in 2007-2008.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:24 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,951,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
We do want these questions asked, but we also want to point out that none of these questions mattered to the mainstream media when 0bama was running for president. Any of the current candidates is eminently more qualified then 0bama was, and he was given a pass on his lack of qualifications in 2007-2008.

Okay then, what exactly is the OP referring to? Seems to me that he is more upset about "bashing" of the GOP candidates but never notices when the bashing is being done by Republicans. There were no examples given, just some nonsense he/she came up with. If we simply went on someone's amount of experience as a policitian, then I guess once again, we wouldn't need to elect anyone, the person with the longest resume would always win.

What makes someone qualified to be POTUS? Aside from what the constitution says, the rest is left for the American people to decide. Hitler could've been "qualified" in the eyes of some people, does it mean that he would have the best interest of the country at heart? Qualification, after meeting the basic requirements is a matter of opinion which obviously changes based on what side the candidate is running on. It is quite ironic that the same people who call the POTUS unqualified would like to see Herman Cain win. Anyone who has an issue with scrutiny or questions shouldn't be running.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:52 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,906,385 times
Quote:
Why are liberals questioning if Perry, Romney, Bachman, etc. are qualified for being the next President?

If Obama could become the President than any Rep. candidate is qualified...they all have better records than Obama have!

A community organizer became the President, we all know how that turned out to be....
Are you seriously suggesting presidential candidates shouldn't be questioned about their views and records?

Old 09-16-2011, 02:01 PM

995 posts, read 1,116,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleged return of serfdom View Post
Probably because they're all bat **** crazy crony capitalist deists, dominionists (or in the case of two of them cultists) who want to set democracy back a few hundred years as opposed to the other party who offers us a smooth-talking bankster buddy.

I'll take my chances with the Reagan conservative, Mr. Obama. You can keep the god nuts.
I was just going to say they're all reality-challenged, but I like your answer.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:23 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,736,249 times
Quote:
The Three Stooges, as they are more commonly known.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:24 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,719,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post

Not only do truths come out during a campaign but lies and rumors do as well and it never seems to bother anyone on the right when the person being attacked or scrutinized is on the left. It is a double-edged sword, get over it.
They truly believe that President Obama was not throughly vetted during the campaign. They truly believe that the man running against Hillary Clinton was allowed to assume the presidency with all sorts of untold secrets.
And, they know they got a pass when Bush II was elected and then re-elected and I suppose they think they're gonna get another.

I know when I vote, that I am voting for a flesh-and-blood human. I know that people change their minds about things as they gain experience and knowledge that they didn't have when they started their careers.
The issue, as I see it, for the Rs is that ther candidates change their positions as the wind blows or when a D embraces some position that they previously held dear.
Perry was very pragmatic regarding immigration but now seems to want to turn into Brewer II.

Romney was all about mandated healthcare and yet refuses to take credit for the fact that ~96% of people residing in Massachusetts have health insurance, not to mention how many jobs have been created as a result.

Bachmann, well, what is there to say really? She's all about the farm subsidies and other government 'hand-outs' except when they aren't for her.

I am as fed up as the next person with 'gotcha journalism' but, a lot of this speaks to character and I am the first to say that nothing Obama exhibited during the campaign suggested how weak he would turn out to be. Perhaps it is simply a matter of 'seasoning' but, I sure would have liked to have seen just a little of those Chicago politics that everyone was sure he was going to pack up and bring to Washington.

Perhap we should now be asking candidates 'will you just roll over and capitulate your beliefs when faced with opposition, or will you push back until you actually get something out of the deal?

Old 09-16-2011, 02:24 PM

957 posts, read 758,766 times
I'm a liberal, & I've never questioned as to whether they're qualified to run for the presidency.
I just don't agree with their views.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:16 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,983,578 times
Quote:
Explain why? Also please explain why Obama is the right person if you voted in the past for him and Perry wouldn't be the right person...I wonder what spin you will give to both answers....
First I've never voted for Obama. I simply fear a Perry Presidency as being Bush 2.0. While Obama is likely not the right answer to America's woes, a third Bush term certainly is not the answer. Another pro-corporate sellout huckster, who would do everything in his power to hook up the oil industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections