Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 04:10 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,889,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
The problem is, Mitt Romney is not more moderate than Rick Perry. On some very important issues, he is more conservative....illegal immigration for one. The only areas Rick Perry comes off as all that right wing are social issues like the death penalty and his religious views. I am not sure with the whole party, those are at the top of their list for choosing a nominee. When you hear Perry's record and really come to know him, he has a lot of Democrat left in him.
Romney is only able to pretend he is more conservative on illegal immigration, because he's never really had to deal with the issue. Kinda like Bachmann can be "pure" on the conservative issues because she has only an insignificant house vote to worry about. And we know Romneycare is a problem, even if we have been temporarily distracted by attacks on Perry. Romney will never out-conservative any of the candidates, except maybe Huntsman... But none of the real contenders. He's the moderate in the race. That's his play; try to convince the GOP electorate that he's not going to scare away independents in the general election. That's a fine strategy for him, but a losing one overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 04:52 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,981,706 times
"he's not going to scare away independents in the general election. That's a fine strategy for him, but a losing one overall"

All others scare them away, a certain 2nd term for Obama. And long-term a structural problem for 2016, 2020, 2024 ...GOP. Ponzi scheme, cheer executions, and Let Him Die = indcependents lost. They will not vote for the insane, and the TP's behavior has people questioning their sanity..deservedly.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:53 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,958,168 times
Perry & Romney are the same animal just with different accents and different shoes. Of course Perry panders to the religious right a bit more but otherwise they are both big government RINOs!

Old 09-17-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
"he's not going to scare away independents in the general election. That's a fine strategy for him, but a losing one overall"

All others scare them away, a certain 2nd term for Obama.
Not if Obama scares them more. Voting for a second Obama term would meet the clinical definition of insanity.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:04 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,174,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Romney is only able to pretend he is more conservative on illegal immigration, because he's never really had to deal with the issue. Kinda like Bachmann can be "pure" on the conservative issues because she has only an insignificant house vote to worry about. And we know Romneycare is a problem, even if we have been temporarily distracted by attacks on Perry. Romney will never out-conservative any of the candidates, except maybe Huntsman... But none of the real contenders. He's the moderate in the race. That's his play; try to convince the GOP electorate that he's not going to scare away independents in the general election. That's a fine strategy for him, but a losing one overall.

You do understand that there are immigrants in all states, right? Not all illegal immigration is in the border states. I live in KY and the city I live in has immigrants from approximately 25 different countries many being relocated here from other countries as refugees. We also have a large hispanic population.

Massachusetts has 15% immigrant population overall and Boston's population is almost 30% immigrants. This is a big issue to be dealt with in Massachusett's.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
You do understand that there are immigrants in all states, right? Not all illegal immigration is in the border states. I live in KY and the city I live in has immigrants from approximately 25 different countries many being relocated here from other countries as refugees. We also have a large hispanic population.

Massachusetts has 15% immigrant population overall and Boston's population is almost 30% immigrants. This is a big issue to be dealt with in Massachusett's.
Yeah, but nothing else in America is like Texas' border. Not to mention, Texas is truly a cross-cultural state. There are areas along the border that are essentially Mexico. It's not like they've become that way because of any US or Texas policy, either. Just that they have been that way for hundreds of years, and still are. Yet they are technically on the US side. Overall, though, Texas benefits greatly from it's relationship with Mexico. That's far from a Republican talking point, I realize... But it is the truth.

So no, Romney really hasn't had to deal with immigration the way a Texas or California governor, or president of the US, has had to.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but nothing else in America is like Texas' border. Not to mention, Texas is truly a cross-cultural state. There are areas along the border that are essentially Mexico. It's not like they've become that way because of any US or Texas policy, either. Just that they have been that way for hundreds of years, and still are. Yet they are technically on the US side.

So no, Romney really hasn't had to deal with immigration the way a Texas or California governor, or president of the US, has had to.

Of course the illegals from Mexico are going to be more of a problem in a border state. Those are not the only illegal immigrants in the country however. I might add that Perry has not dealt with the problem effectively at all. Offering incentives to those who come here illegally is only increasing the draw of doing it. Sanctuary cities and free college educations are not exactly deterrents.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Of course the illegals from Mexico are going to be more of a problem in a border state. Those are not the only illegal immigrants in the country however. I might add that Perry has not dealt with the problem effectively at all. Offering incentives to those who come here illegally is only increasing the draw of doing it. Sanctuary cities and free college educations are not exactly deterrents.
They would not be a problem in Texas if the federal government was doing it's job; that's the whole point Perry is trying to make. He doesn't do it so well in debates, but you'll get the message when you need to. Texas is dealt a hand, as Romney likes to say... In the case of immigration, it's dealt the hand of the largest border in the US and hardly any support from the Feds for securing it.

So what is a Texas governor supposed to do? Punish all the US citizens in the many towns of TX where undocumented immigrants make up 40 or 60% or more of the population? Keep more than half of the young people in those communities out of the schools, out of the colleges? That would work great. Just think of the crime.... No, Perry is doing what is right with the hand he's dealt. If the Feds did their job of securing the border it would be a non-issue.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
They would not be a problem in Texas if the federal government was doing it's job; that's the whole point Perry is trying to make. He doesn't do it so well in debates, but you'll get the message when you need to. Texas is dealt a hand, as Romney likes to say... In the case of immigration, it's dealt the hand of the largest border in the US and hardly any support from the Feds for securing it.

So what is a Texas governor supposed to do? Punish all the US citizens in the many towns of TX where undocumented immigrants make up 40 or 60% or more of the population? Keep more than half of the young people in those communities out of the schools, out of the colleges? That would work great. Just think of the crime.... No, Perry is doing what is right with the hand he's dealt. If the Feds did their job of securing the broder it would be a non-issue.

I guess if the citizens of Texas don't mind paying for those who come there illegally to go to college while their own children struggle to go by spending their hard earned money or having to borrow money, it works for them I guess. I personally do not want the federal Dream Act passed, because I am having to pay out of my pocket to send my son to college, I can't afford to send all of those here illegally too.

If Perry has a point to make for this, he better be doing it because this is a big issue for Republican voters.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
I guess if the citizens of Texas don't mind paying for those who come there illegally to go to college while their own children struggle to go by spending their hard earned money or having to borrow money, it works for them I guess. I personally do not want the federal Dream Act passed, because I am having to pay out of my pocket to send my son to college, I can't afford to send all of those here illegally too.

If Perry has a point to make for this, he better be doing it because this is a big issue for Republican voters.
I can only speak for one citizen of Texas, myself, but I sure as heck don't want to be paying for the US government's failure in doing one of the FEW things they should be doing. The fact that I have to just underscores the point that we need someone new in the white house, and it might as well be a Texan - who will run things well regardless of the bad hand that they might be dealt. Texans were there for Katrina, they were there for the gulf oil spill... It's a very, very well run state. That's probably why Jindal endorsed Perry so early - because he's close to it, and can see how this state is run.

Sure, lots of people will probably pile on with the Texas hate, cite some education or health insurance stats, or how much money we make... It's all BS of course, but the media really goes for it. The just can't believe that Texas actually has it together while the country is falling apart. Oh well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections