Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 02:07 PM

6,085 posts, read 6,066,877 times

Advertisements

Some of you might remember me from the main POC, but if not, then let me introduce myself.

I, Kovert, am an Independent who has become disgusted and disillusioned with both political parties.

There are a few politicians that I still have respect for, cats like Alan Grayson, Bernie Sanders and last but most certainly not least, Denny K!

I know that the above men have worked with Ron Paul on issues like the Fed Audit, and it was through those partnerships, that I became aware of Ron Paul.

I have heard some of his interviews and speeches and while I did not accept the whole package, a lot of what he said did resonate with me. I also like the fact that he has shown the ability to work with the above named left wingers along with Barney Frank.

So there are some questions I have that I'd like his community of supporters to clear up for me:

1. What is his stance on the legalized sexual molestation that now seems to be expanding out of the airports and more into Americans' private lives? I watched a video where he said the airline companies rather than the gov't should be handling airport security. However, he is kind of ambiguous as he did not explicitly state that American citizens should not be subjected to invasive groping of private areas in the name of security by any private or public employee.

"It establishes that airport security screeners are not immune from any US law regarding physical contact with another person, making images of another person, or causing physical harm through the use of radiation-emitting machinery on another person. It means they are subject to the same laws as the rest of us.

The solution is to allow the private sector, preferably the airlines themselves, to provide for the security of their property."

2. What is his stance on Civil Rights? I understand in the past, certain notions were more widespread and accepted, which would and should be frowned upon today. So although I'm curious on what his past views on Civil Rights were: the movement, legislation, etc; most importantly what are his current views?

3. What is his position on anti-trust laws and their enforcement? I know in the past he has criticized the TBTF masters of the universe, but has he endorsed the use of anti-trust laws to deal with this problem? If he's not in support of anti-trust measures, what alternatives does Paul and his supporters endorse to protect the free market from monopolies and oligopolies?

4. Speaking of anti-trust, what is the position of Paul and his supporters on the anti-trust exemption that health insurance companies enjoy?

5. Given the dissatisfaction many on the left such as Grayson and Denny along with those on the right like Paul has had with the Wall Street mega banks, I've been curious as to why I have yet to hear Paulians mention alternatives to Wall Street.

Ellen Brown has been speaking of late on state owned banks, and by state she means banks that are owed by the individual state and NOT any federal agency nor Wall Street affiliated.

I have info on Brown here in addition to Yvie here and here. Its a very interesting idea and I'm surprised given how much I hear Paulian supporters talk of states' rights, I have yet to hear them mention state owned banks as a viable alternative banking system to what we have now.

6. And the issue I have probably been the most vocal about during my time on the POC forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
One simple solution that for some reason people always ignore.

Public,....., Campaign,......, Finance,......., Reform,......., NOW!
Are the Paulians okay with the Citizens United decision which lets even foreigners meddle into American elections.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So those are my main questions, and I'd honestly like to know what Ron Paul's take on these issues are along with those who are part of his community of supporters have to say on these issues.

I'm starting to seriously consider supporting Paul, but I just have to know where he and his supporters stand, first.

Last edited by kovert; 09-19-2011 at 02:16 PM..

Old 09-20-2011, 12:45 PM

Hmm, I guess I forgot about the audience I'm dealing with so this time around, I'll make my questions nice and simple.

1. What position does Ron Paul and his community of supporters take on American citizens being subjected to very intrusive procedures in the name of security? Are they only against it if its a gov't agency or employee that executes the procedures, or are they equally against it if these procedures are done by private businesses?

2. What is his stance on Civil Rights? What was Ron Paul's take on the Civil Rights movement, its legacy, in terms of legislation send impact on society? What is Paul's stance currently on Civil Rights along with the sentiments about Civil Rights among his supporters?

3. What is his position on anti-trust laws and their enforcement? I know in the past he has criticized the TBTF masters of the universe, but has he endorsed the use of anti-trust laws to deal with this problem? If he's not in support of anti-trust measures, what alternatives does Paul and his supporters endorse to protect the free market from monopolies and oligopolies?

4. What is the position of Paul and his supporters on the anti-trust exemption that health insurance companies enjoy?

5. Ellen Brown has been speaking of late on state owned banks, and by state she means banks that are owned by the individual state and NOT any federal agency nor are Wall Street affiliated.

Its a very interesting idea and I'm surprised given how much I hear Paulian supporters talk of states' rights, I have yet to hear them mention state owned banks as a viable alternative banking system to what we have now.

6. And last but most certainly not least what position has Ron Paul taken on the Citizens United decision and what is the position of his and those from his community of supporters on the issue of campaign finance reform in general?

Old 09-20-2011, 01:40 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,695,918 times
Quote:
Hmm, I guess I forgot about the audience I'm dealing with so this time around, I'll make my questions nice and simple.

1. What position does Ron Paul and his community of supporters take on American citizens being subjected to very intrusive procedures in the name of security? Are they only against it if its a gov't agency or employee that executes the procedures, or are they equally against it if these procedures are done by private businesses?

2. What is his stance on Civil Rights? What was Ron Paul's take on the Civil Rights movement, its legacy, in terms of legislation send impact on society? What is Paul's stance currently on Civil Rights along with the sentiments about Civil Rights among his supporters?

4. What is the position of Paul and his supporters on the anti-trust exemption that health insurance companies enjoy?

5. Ellen Brown has been speaking of late on state owned banks, and by state she means banks that are owned by the individual state and NOT any federal agency nor are Wall Street affiliated.

Its a very interesting idea and I'm surprised given how much I hear Paulian supporters talk of states' rights, I have yet to hear them mention state owned banks as a viable alternative banking system to what we have now.

6. And last but most certainly not least what position has Ron Paul taken on the Citizens United decision and what is the position of his and those from his community of supporters on the issue of campaign finance reform in general?
1 . Generally if its not run by the governmnet, the private airline they will offer suitable solutions to security and with airlines having to the freedom to not PAT DOWN little kids we will see a change in the security from airline to airline and given more choices. Government run security at airports treat you like a terrorist and the airline might actually treat you like a customer.

2. Ron Paul admires Rosa Parks and Martin Lurther King and many state jim crow laws actually go against the constitution and most importantly individual rights. Ron Paul simply lets social issues reside with states as per the constitution. This includes gay marriage and or other social issues let to the people and the states as per 10th amendment.
The federal government has only the limited role and most importantly a individual protection of individuals not groups, races and or religions.

3. First in truly free markets monopolies are hard to come by its only because of government intervention and benefits to some companies that monopolies destory free choices. Thou not every idea or service or product will have a altervative choice. Sometimes the monopolies do a better job then anyone who would challenge it and or not enough business people will risk and capitial to invest.

4. Healthcare companies and government currency control the market of which Ron Paul wants to completely change with fresh free market enterprise and remove governmnet RESPONSIBLY over time.

5. Breaking up banks and states rights to bank ownership if different the money supply of the FEDERAL RESERVE and US treasury. States can coin, silver and gold as legal tender and payment for debits as per the constitution thou the FED outlawed the independance of states rights.

6. Ron Paul is simply against McCain/feingold of which again is a stance that Ron Paul has explained. I think it depends on the actual issue of Reform and how people see or don't see any problem with how compaign funds are accounted for. Lets be honest when corporations donate.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:26 PM

37,963 posts, read 17,948,254 times
Quote:
Some of you might remember me from the main POC, but if not, then let me introduce myself.

I, Kovert, am an Independent who has become disgusted and disillusioned with both political parties.
There are a few politicians that I still have respect for, cats like Alan Grayson, Bernie Sanders and last but most certainly not least, Denny K!
I know that the above men have worked with Ron Paul on issues like the Fed Audit, and it was through those partnerships, that I became aware of Ron Paul.
I have heard some of his interviews and speeches and while I did not accept the whole package, a lot of what he said did resonate with me. I also like the fact that he has shown the ability to work with the above named left wingers along with Barney Frank.
So there are some questions I have that I'd like his community of supporters to clear up for me:
1. What is his stance on the legalized sexual molestation that now seems to be expanding out of the airports and more into Americans' private lives? I watched a video where he said the airline companies rather than the gov't should be handling airport security. However, he is kind of ambiguous as he did not explicitly state that American citizens should not be subjected to invasive groping of private areas in the name of security by any private or public employee.

2. What is his stance on Civil Rights? I understand in the past, certain notions were more widespread and accepted, which would and should be frowned upon today. So although I'm curious on what his past views on Civil Rights were: the movement, legislation, etc; most importantly what are his current views?

4. Speaking of anti-trust, what is the position of Paul and his supporters on the anti-trust exemption that health insurance companies enjoy?

5. Given the dissatisfaction many on the left such as Grayson and Denny along with those on the right like Paul has had with the Wall Street mega banks, I've been curious as to why I have yet to hear Paulians mention alternatives to Wall Street.

Ellen Brown has been speaking of late on state owned banks, and by state she means banks that are owed by the individual state and NOT any federal agency nor Wall Street affiliated.

I have info on Brown here in addition to Yvie
here and here. Its a very interesting idea and I'm surprised given how much I hear Paulian supporters talk of states' rights, I have yet to hear them mention state owned banks as a viable alternative banking system to what we have now.

6. And the issue I have probably been the most vocal about during my time on the POC forum:
Are the Paulians okay with the Citizens United decision which lets even foreigners meddle into American elections.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So those are my main questions, and I'd honestly like to know what Ron Paul's take on these issues are along with those who are part of his community of supporters have to say on these issues.

I'm starting to seriously consider supporting Paul, but I just have to know where he and his supporters stand, first.
It's never about his supporters, it's about policy.

You have some good specific questions, which LibertyandJusticeforAll answered well, but I have to wonder why they matter as far as whom you want to vote for? If the republican candidates were similar on foreign policy or economic policy to Ron Paul I would understand why you'd ask in order to separate the candidates.
Some of the other candidates rhetoric sound like what Ron Paul has consistently preaching and voting for in the last 20 years.

Quote:
Quote:
maybe they remembered and dont like the condescending attitude

Old 09-20-2011, 02:59 PM

1st of all, I'd like to thank you Liberty for answering my questions. Now to continue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
1 . Generally if its not run by the governmnet, the private airline they will offer suitable solutions to security and with airlines having to the freedom to not PAT DOWN little kids we will see a change in the security from airline to airline and given more choices. Government run security at airports treat you like a terrorist and the airline might actually treat you like a customer.
Now this part where the airline might is what I really want clarification on. Unlike a NFL game, transportation via airplane is a must as there is no viable, practical alternative for me to get to certain destinations. Neither am I able to hire my own private jet and helicopter to get where I need to go. Thus I'm forced to use the main airports.

So I'm asking from what you know of Ron Paul and his community of supporters, should an American citizen be forced to submit to intrusions into their private areas by security employees and machinery of private airline companies? And for further clarification, I'm talking about American citizens who have no criminal backgrounds nor are suspects involved in any illegal activity, who have no other choice but to use regular airports. I can't speak for Paul nor his base of supporters, but from what I do know of them, I'd think they would consider such actions a major breach of civil liberties.

Quote:
2. Ron Paul admires Rosa Parks and Martin Lurther King and many state jim crow laws actually go against the constitution and most importantly individual rights. Ron Paul simply lets social issues reside with states as per the constitution. This includes gay marriage and or other social issues let to the people and the states as per 10th amendment.
The federal government has only the limited role and most importantly a individual protection of individuals not groups, races and or religions.
Glad to hear Paul's sentiment towards King and Parks.

If you don't mind and are able to, would you be able to post a video link or talk where Paul goes into some depth on his position on Civil Rights. I have heard some sound bites, but I'm well aware that the sensationalistic media often quotes out of context.

I'm asking because, in the past the federal gov't had to step in and take a more forceful role in ensuring that groups of individuals that were being discriminated against on the basis of the characteristics you just mentioned because the states were not doing their job in that regard, if not outright endorsing and encouraging the discrimination.

So that's why I'm asking for a discussion where Paul and/or his supporters go into this issue in depth. And if you don't mind, as a Paul supporter, I wouldn't mind hearing your personal take on this very critical issue.

Quote:
3. First in truly free markets monopolies are hard to come by its only because of government intervention and benefits to some companies that monopolies destory free choices. Thou not every idea or service or product will have a altervative choice. Sometimes the monopolies do a better job then anyone who would challenge it and or not enough business people will risk and capitial to invest.
I'm in agreement in that sometimes a monopoly or oligopoly may be a better alternative. Utility companies are of that nature, but they are often (or at least supposed to be) highly regulated.

But sometimes, for various reasons, monopolies/oligopolies happen. So in the case of the TBTF banks that nearly wrecked the global economy, I'm asking if Paul and his base are in favor of using anti-trust measures to make sure no corporation ever becomes too big to fail. If Paul and his base do not believe in anti-trust measures, then what alternatives do they advocate and endorse to ensure competition and protect the free market.

Quote:
4. Healthcare companies and government currency control the market of which Ron Paul wants to completely change with fresh free market enterprise and remove governmnet RESPONSIBLY over time.
I take that to mean that the anti-trust exemptions, health insurances companies have Paulians would gradually revoke. Okay that's a clear answer. Thanks. So I take this to mean Paulians do see the merit of anti-trust measures?

Quote:
5. Breaking up banks and states rights to bank ownership if different the money supply of the FEDERAL RESERVE and US treasury. States can coin, silver and gold as legal tender and payment for debits as per the constitution thou the FED outlawed the independance of states rights.
This particular question is not about breaking up banks. If memory serves me correct its the Constitution that states that the Congress has the right to control the money supply. Once again if memory serves me correct, this power was delegated to the Federal Reserve once it was created.

In my original #5 question I have provided links to Ellen Brown and Yves Smith who are vocal advocates of having states (rather than FDIC insured or federally controlled) own and control their own banks. This does not mean that other banks are not allowed within the states however. The links I provided go into greater detail and we can discuss them further if you want to. The links also provide an excellent model and example of the Bank of North Dakota, which is the only state owned bank in the US that I know of, for proof of concept.

Quote:
6. Ron Paul is simply against McCain/feingold of which again is a stance that Ron Paul has explained. I think it depends on the actual issue of Reform and how people see or don't see any problem with how compaign funds are accounted for. Lets be honest when corporations donate.
The Citizens United case also allows for foreign entities to donate their funds to candidates and as we all know well, they don't do this without strings attached.

"Justice Samuel Alito noted during the September arguments that foreign-owned media corporations have the same First Amendment rights that American companies do."

Not that I am in full agreement with his political decision but one thing Dodd did do before he left office was:

Dodd's amendment, co-sponsored by Sen. Tom Udall (D-N.M.) would explicitly grant Congress the authority to regulate campaign fundraising and expenditures for federal elections.

The amendment would also let states regular such activity in their own elections.

I would think Paulians would be in favor of having the states set up and decide and most importantly fully control their own system for funding campaigns.

And since this crowd feels themselves strongly rooted in American tradition and the Constitution, I would feel that they would know about:

Quote:
That's exactly what some of our Founding Fathers wanted.

"Jefferson and Madison proposed an 11th Amendment to the Constitution that would "ban monopolies in commerce," making it illegal for corporations to own other corporations, banning them from giving money to politicians or trying to influence elections in any way, restricting corporations to a single business purpose, limiting the lifetime of a corporation to something roughly similar to that of productive humans (20 to 40 years back then), and requiring that the first purpose for which all corporations were created be "to serve the public good."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Once again, I would like to thank you Liberty for your answers and hope to continue the discussion with you and other Ron Paul supporters.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It's never about his supporters, it's about policy.
One would think his followers would know about his policies as that would be the reasons for them being his followers in the 1st place.

Quote:
You have some good specific questions, which LibertyandJusticeforAll answered well, but I have to wonder why they matter as far as whom you want to vote for?

If the republican candidates were similar on foreign policy or economic policy to Ron Paul I would understand why you'd ask in order to separate the candidates.
Some of the other candidates rhetoric sound like what Ron Paul has consistently preaching and voting for in the last 20 years.
Don't know on what basis do you vote, but I want to know what policies a man supports and what positions he takes on certain issues before I decide to support them.

Quote:
maybe they remembered and dont like the condescending attitude
Or maybe because they remembered I could never be just another groupie of some media disc jockey and just regurgitate whatever the talking point of the day was.

I call that critical thinking, don't like, I don't give a damn!

So if you are not a Ron Paul supporter and/or have no intention of answering my questions, then you should exit now and forever hold your peace, else you will definitely be reminded that my attitude can be far more than condescending.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
One would think his followers would know about his policies as that would be the reasons for them being his followers in the 1st place.
the point Ron Paul makes, is it's about policy, not one man and not necessarily what the followers of Ron Paul think. I say this since Ron Paul goes into the reasons why he supports his policies and he is consistent. Why not go straight to the horses mouth?
When you ask what supporters think of his policies AND the questions you ask are fairly specific, most followers of candidates cannot correctly answer them.

Quote:
Don't know on what basis do you vote, but I want to know what policies a man supports and what positions he takes on certain issues before I decide to support them.
The Middle East and getting the Federal government, specifically the Federal Reserve, out of running the economy are my two biggest issues. The differences between the other candidates and Ron Paul on those issues are enough for me to decide, so I don't nit pick the little things.

Quote:
Or maybe because they remembered I could never be just another groupie of some media disc jockey and just regurgitate whatever the talking point of the day was.
Agreed, it helps to look into things instead of scratching the surface or listening to short sound bites.
It's always best to look at the the voting record and the reasons behind it. Quite a few politicians vote differently than they speak.

Quote:
I call that critical thinking, don't like, I don't give a damn!
So if you are not a Ron Paul supporter and/or have no intention of answering my questions, then you should exit now and forever hold your peace,
That's one thing about Ron Paul supporters and the belief of small federal government. You don't get to decide for others. Rights matter.
(course if it was your board you can pretty much do as you please)

Quote:
else you will definitely be reminded that my attitude can be far more than condescending.
You don't seem that scary. Plus it's the internet. lol

When you asked your questions was it more like you are voting for Ron Paul and are curious about how he stands on some specific issues instead of thinking about voting?
What are your thoughts about withdrawing the troops from the Middle East immediately or the Federal Government meddling in the economy using bailouts?

Old 09-21-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
the point Ron Paul makes, is it's about policy, not one man and not necessarily what the followers of Ron Paul think. I say this since Ron Paul goes into the reasons why he supports his policies and he is consistent. Why not go straight to the horses mouth?
When you ask what supporters think of his policies AND the questions you ask are fairly specific, most followers of candidates cannot correctly answer them.
I also addressed my questions to his followers and supporters, because like the policies, positions, and votes the man has personally made, they too are a reflection of the man as well. The followers and supporters can help one understand who the man is and where he's coming from just like the man's personal actions.

Quote:
Agreed, it helps to look into things instead of scratching the surface or listening to short sound bites.
It's always best to look at the the voting record and the reasons behind it. Quite a few politicians vote differently than they speak.
On this I can likewise agree.

Quote:
When you asked your questions was it more like you are voting for Ron Paul and are curious about how he stands on some specific issues instead of thinking about voting?
What are your thoughts about withdrawing the troops from the Middle East immediately or the Federal Government meddling in the economy using bailouts?
My intent is exactly what I stated. I'm an independent who is considering the option of Paul and would like to learn more about the man from his supporters.

I am all for discontinuing the endless military ventures in the MidEast.

As for the bailouts, if the banks are TBTF else they would cause an even greater economic crisis, I would not be in favor of bailing them out with no strings attached.

I was and am still in support of using anti-trust laws to end the threat of the TBTFs once and for all.

Since I have answered your queries now I'd like you to answer mine:

Old 09-21-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I also addressed my questions to his followers and supporters, because like the policies, positions, and votes the man has personally made, they too are a reflection of the man as well. The followers and supporters can help one understand who the man is and where he's coming from just like the man's personal actions.
Followers don't know the message as well as Ron Paul does. Obviously knowledge of a candidate helps one understand Ron Paul. Sometimes he runs on when answering questions and is hard to understand unless you have previous knowledge of the topic.

Quote:
As for the bailouts, if the banks are TBTF else they would cause an even greater economic crisis, I would not be in favor of bailing them out with no strings attached.
In this case, the regulations in place weren't enforced so there is no need for more. The best regulation is failure.

Quote:
generally
Ron Paul repeats uses this quote "those who would give up freedom for security deserve neither"
don't use the private business
The airlines should be in charge, not TSA. If AA wants to pat down customers but AB doesn't so be it. Options are always best. If pilots were allowed to carry guns the hijackings on 9/11 may have been preventable.

Now the best way to do away with this infringement on our liberties is to do what Ron Paul suggests, get out of the Middle East. I think it was Chris Matthews who said "you cannot get rid of all the terrorists but can can get rid of the reason they want to be terrorists".

and this is the best thing about Ron Paul, he doesn't put band aids on the problem. Treat the cause, not the symptom.
Little Johnny keeps going outside without his coat. Do you keep feeding him cold pills or make him put on his coat? Course too many say pills, all our children on all that medication. It's mind boggling.

Quote:
Civil rights took away the rights of the individual. No one has a right to anothers work. That is a privilege. You grant others privileges.
You cannot use force.
It is the role of society to break down the barriers. Ron Paul encourages civil disobedience. He cites Rosa Parks, Ghandi, and MLK as his heros because they used that action. Not for their political beliefs.

Quote:
Depends on who defines monopoly. A very good case involving the aluminum industry, Alcoa. Prices went down, quality went up.
Same with standard oil.
"Standard Oil began in 1870, when kerosene cost 30 cents a gallon. By 1897, Rockefeller's scientists and managers had driven the price to under 6 cents per gallon, and many of his less-efficient competitors were out of business -- including companies whose inferior grades of kerosene were prone to explosion and whose dangerous wares had depressed the demand for the product. "

Quote:
citing the lack of competition which drives prices higher to the consumer. Industries use technology to drive prices down. Hasn't happened in the medical field because of price fixing by the government. Take away price competition, and quality suffers.

ERISA laws are harmful also. Fed laws trumped state laws. One can only sue for the cost of the denied treatment. Damages cannot be added on.

Quote:

if you're against a central bank what else is there?

Quote:
dunno never bothered to look into this

maybe that helped, but like I said this stuff is nit picky imo. I wouldn't vote for someone based on these issues since the other candidates differ from Paul quite a bit. But that's me. Maybe to separate him from Gary Johnson??? Besides Gary Johnson, none of the other candidates are close to Ron Paul on the major issues.

First do no harm. Respect property rights.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:57 PM

313 posts, read 835,595 times
If you want to know his positions I would suggest that you read one of his books. Specifically, The Revolution as it touches on a lot of issues and really shows what he believes and why. My local library had a copy and it only took a few hours to read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.