Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 09:18 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,655,023 times

Advertisements

Earthlyfather, hotair's clarification was correct. I'd look on Cain more favorably if he weren't advocating a national sales tax. Again, I HATE this idea. In fact, if Obama was pushing for the creation of a national sales tax as a major part of his platform, I'd vote against him. I'd vote for Rick Perry and maybe even Sara Palin -- that's how much I dislike the national sales tax idea.

I realize Cain is trying to overhaul and simplify an unweildy tax code. I applaud his efforts, but I think this is the absolute wrong way to go about it. That 9 percent sales tax will easily double or triple in a decade. (Again, it's an "invisible" tax, so it's easy to hike without too much protest ... that's probably how gasoline taxes got so high.) Also, you want to talk about picking winners and losers? The government will have a field day with that one -- which items deserve tax "breaks" -- which ones warrant a special hike? I think that's just a total mess. Again, I'm baffled that it's a conservative candidate who is floating this idea. Surely his intentions are good, but this plan is deeply flawed.

The more I think about Cain, the more I think he'd be a great ticket balancer. Romney/Cain -- that's the ticket. I realize if Romney gets the nomination, he will get to pick his own running mate, but I think Romney/Cain is the golden ticket. Cain is the one Tea Partier who might not do harm to Romney, and in fact, might even bring in some new voters. It's also a signal that the GOP recongizes the nation's demographic shift and truly does want to be a broader, browner party in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 09:19 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,911,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
You're upset that we're judging a candidate on the viability of the plan that he has been emphasizing for the majority of his campaign? Sorry you don't like people actually paying attention to the substance of a candidate rather than the image he/she projects.
No what conservatives are REALLY upset about is when liberals do not apply the same analysis to any of Obama's plans. They and the media are giving him constant free passes without ANY analysis at all.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:28 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,957,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
No what conservatives are REALLY upset about is when liberals do not apply the same analysis to any of Obama's plans. They and the media are giving him constant free passes without ANY analysis at all.
This is about people on CD judging Cain. Not the media, and in terms of Obama being judge harshly on CD, I would say it is very harsh. It seems that almost every post by a Republican, irrespective of the topic, has something about Obama in it. Example, your post when we are talking about Cain.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:56 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,941,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
I can't speak for liberals, but I criticize Obama constantly. This thread, however, isn't about him. It's about Herman Cain. Get over it.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:56 AM

838 posts, read 922,923 times
Cain just interviewed by Greta on Fox. He said he did not know why our government has not secured the border. Many of us know that he does know why, that its' our drug war corruption for profit and corporate profits, but no candidates will speak on these core reasons because the elites forbid it and if they dared speak the truth they couldn't get very far as candidates. Look at what they did to Ron Paul last election when he spoke on the coming North American Union and corporate globalism. I like Caine except for his foreign policy.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:55 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,070,744 times
Well, Mr Obama is the leader of this country. At some point, one has to quit blaming his upbringing ( "I inherited this mess from Bush.") and take responsibility for himself. There is no doubt that after trillions of dollars in spending the last two and a half years, that the economy is worse, not better.

This to say, that I think it right and natural that Mr. Obama is the focus on so much. Leadership has its rewards, but also a heavy burden of responsibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
This is about people on CD judging Cain. Not the media, and in terms of Obama being judge harshly on CD, I would say it is very harsh. It seems that almost every post by a Republican, irrespective of the topic, has something about Obama in it. Example, your post when we are talking about Cain.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:21 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,070,744 times
Thanks for the clarification. I did misunderstand what you said.

The 9-9-9 proposal is just a starting place. Yes, in combination with local sales taxes, you would approach 20 - 25%. I think we are all taking this proposal too literally, viewing it in one dimension. Mr Cain's platform calls for this to be a transition to a fair tax type vehicle. The key points being getting rid of the hidden and embedded taxes - look at your electric bill, cell phone bill, internet bill, ad nauseum - and the artificial price inflators. Artificial price inflators are things like the mortgage interest deduction, business expense deductions. In the transition to a fair tax, the payroll tax would disappear. In perfect form, and yes we all understand that nothing is perfect, there is a graduated component to a fair tax that prebates basic living expense tax for those in need.

Personally, I think the body politic has us heading to some type of national sales tax, regardless. They currently pick winners and losers with the current systems, and will attempt to continue to do so. It is better to shape that discussion in the way that most favors the American people, than to continue the carrot and stick approach in a different guise.

Enough of that; we should not rush to judgement on any candidates' stances, until they have had full airing.

I agree that Mr Cain's best slot is probably as a running mate, or even cabinet post for a department that needs radical rationalization. That seems to be his strong suit in his business resume.

Btw, I pretty much am one of those seniors on a fixed income, though I still work (flexibly thank goodness), and hopefully will for a couple of more years. Now, I have spent way too much time on this. I need to do some work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Earthlyfather, hotair's clarification was correct. I'd look on Cain more favorably if he weren't advocating a national sales tax. Again, I HATE this idea. In fact, if Obama was pushing for the creation of a national sales tax as a major part of his platform, I'd vote against him. I'd vote for Rick Perry and maybe even Sara Palin -- that's how much I dislike the national sales tax idea.

I realize Cain is trying to overhaul and simplify an unweildy tax code. I applaud his efforts, but I think this is the absolute wrong way to go about it. That 9 percent sales tax will easily double or triple in a decade. (only if we allow it) (Again, it's an "invisible" tax, so it's easy to hike without too much protest (see the wsj article on the brief history of the income tax)... that's probably how gasoline taxes got so high.) Also, you want to talk about picking winners and losers? The government will have a field day with that one -- which items deserve tax "breaks" -- which ones warrant a special hike? I think that's just a total mess. Again, I'm baffled that it's a conservative (fair tax type is ultimate goal, which is a very conservative approach) candidate who is floating this idea. Surely his intentions are good, but this plan is deeply flawed.

The more I think about Cain, the more I think he'd be a great ticket balancer. Romney/Cain -- that's the ticket. I realize if Romney gets the nomination, he will get to pick his own running mate, but I think Romney/Cain is the golden ticket. Cain is the one Tea Partier who might not do harm to Romney, and in fact, might even bring in some new voters. It's also a signal that the GOP recongizes the nation's demographic shift and truly does want to be a broader, browner party in the future.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:38 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,957,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I did misunderstand what you said.

The 9-9-9 proposal is just a starting place. Yes, in combination with local sales taxes, you would approach 20 - 25%. I think we are all taking this proposal too literally, viewing it in one dimension. Mr Cain's platform calls for this to be a transition to a fair tax type vehicle. The key points being getting rid of the hidden and embedded taxes - look at your electric bill, cell phone bill, internet bill, ad nauseum - and the artificial price inflators. Artificial price inflators are things like the mortgage interest deduction, business expense deductions. In the transition to a fair tax, the payroll tax would disappear. In perfect form, and yes we all understand that nothing is perfect, there is a graduated component to a fair tax that prebates basic living expense tax for those in need.

Personally, I think the body politic has us heading to some type of national sales tax, regardless. They currently pick winners and losers with the current systems, and will attempt to continue to do so. It is better to shape that discussion in the way that most favors the American people, than to continue the carrot and stick approach in a different guise.

Enough of that; we should not rush to judgement on any candidates' stances, until they have had full airing.

I agree that Mr Cain's best slot is probably as a running mate, or even cabinet post for a department that needs radical rationalization. That seems to be his strong suit in his business resume.

Btw, I pretty much am one of those seniors on a fixed income, though I still work (flexibly thank goodness), and hopefully will for a couple of more years. Now, I have spent way too much time on this. I need to do some work.
If you are one of the seniors on a fixed income, why would you want to pay more income tax, when there is no chance that your income will go up. Isn't that simply voting against your interest?

Old 09-28-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
If you are one of the seniors on a fixed income, why would you want to pay more income tax, when there is no chance that your income will go up. Isn't that simply voting against your interest?
Every time a senior puts gas in their pump, they are doing it already. Every time a senior pays for almost everything in CA, they are doing it already. Every time a senior pays some utility bill, there's some gov't sponsored charge attached to it already.

Get used to it, they've been doing this for a while now. If this tax means (a) I pay less income tax and (b) vastly reduced tax laws, I'm in.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
I can't speak for liberals, but I criticize Obama constantly. This thread, however, isn't about him. It's about Herman Cain. Get over it.
There's nothing for me to get over. I don't care if you criticize Cain or any other GOP candidate, I just want the same electron microscope of scrutiny applied to Obama as well from these same people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections