Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 08:12 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,957,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
Every time a senior puts gas in their pump, they are doing it already. Every time a senior pays for almost everything in CA, they are doing it already. Every time a senior pays some utility bill, there's some gov't sponsored charge attached to it already.

Get used to it, they've been doing this for a while now. If this tax means (a) I pay less income tax and (b) vastly reduced tax laws, I'm in.
The majority of sales taxes that you already pay are paid to state and local governments. A federal Sales tax would have no impact on state and local sales tax...they still want their money! So if you are paying 9% on items that you purchase now, under Cain you would be paying 18%. Most seniors living on Social Security do not pay income tax now, so that would be a 9% increase on them. So, if you are the typical Senior you would be paying more taxes.

So now that I have explained it. Are you still in? Don't take my word for it look it up. This is how the plan would work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 03:22 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,025,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsicmovies View Post
I like Cain except for his foreign policy.
What is exactly Cain's foreign policy? He's been so vague
on it - I'd really like to know.

Not to mention still the IRS AND a National Sales Tax - you've got to be kidding....

Old 09-29-2011, 03:45 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,070,744 times
Don't know about his foreign policy. As for the IRS; it will remain regardless of whether we have income tax alone, or a combination of income tax and some type of national sales tax. Some organization has to administer , monitor and in force whatever tax code we have. The idea is 9% corporate tax, 9% personal income tax, and 9% national sales tax. That is an effective (which is the marginal income tax rate less deductions, and credit) personal rate of 18%. Consume less, you pay less (Yes, I know the poor, the poor). There are income-based credits built into this plan. His policy statement indicates this is a bridge toward a fair tax, which rids us of all other taxes; payroll (6.2%), income (10% to 35%), plus the built in cost (in the products we buy) of corporate taxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post

Not to mention still the IRS AND a National Sales Tax - you've got to be kidding....

Old 09-29-2011, 04:00 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,372,711 times
If he can get it done, the best thing I have heard from Cain is that every American should have some skin in this game. Works for me.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:24 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:

he does need help with that probably, but he is refreshing and no one (I mean no one) has all the answers. That is what a cabinet and advisors are for.

Nita

Old 09-30-2011, 05:28 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,025,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
he does need help with that probably, but he is refreshing and no one (I mean no one) has all the answers. That is what a cabinet and advisors are for.

Nita
My husband really likes him "calls him "The Man", but I need to know
his foreign policy - you know - I'm a Paul supporter The 9-9-9 plan
I have hesitations about, only because I just don't trust Congress
with ANY new taxes, whether they start low or not....

I'm afraid I might have a traitor in my house - from a Paul to
Cain supporter

Old 09-30-2011, 05:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
My husband really likes him "calls him "The Man", but I need to know
his foreign policy - you know - I'm a Paul supporter The 9-9-9 plan
I have hesitations about, only because I just don't trust Congress
with ANY new taxes, whether they start low or not....

I'm afraid I might have a traitor in my house - from a Paul to
Cain supporter
well, at least it keeps your household interesting: I have lived, for 3 years with a Palin supporter. Actually about a year ago he came to his senses and realized that wasn't going to happen and/or shouldn't. Now, though, we are still supporting Perry, we are keeping our options open and we don't yell at each other at the breakfast table quite as much. He also likes Cain.

Nita

Old 09-30-2011, 06:11 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,676,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Can someone please explain how a person who was on the board of the directors for the fed can be a favorite with TPers. I thought they wanted to do away with the fed? Why would they want a fed insider. Can someone explain this contradiction.

Might be why his 999 plan, still has an income based tax, to keep the IRS alive, feeding the fed and wealth redistribution, in other ways.

Eliminate the IRS & income based tax structure and Cain would have my vote over Ron Paul.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:23 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,676,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
The majority of sales taxes that you already pay are paid to state and local governments. A federal Sales tax would have no impact on state and local sales tax...they still want their money! So if you are paying 9% on items that you purchase now, under Cain you would be paying 18%. Most seniors living on Social Security do not pay income tax now, so that would be a 9% increase on them. So, if you are the typical Senior you would be paying more taxes.

So now that I have explained it. Are you still in? Don't take my word for it look it up. This is how the plan would work.

The family unit that held this nation together and made communities strong, would comeback as time passes.
Your children's, children, will actually care about their neighbors, like it use to be.
Communities will be raising the children, instead of poor single grandmothers, their daughters dumped them on and the root of many problems.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:43 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,070,744 times
Bent,
If you read the complete executive summary on Mr Cain's campaign website, then you will see that the 999 is a transitionary beginning point to move to a fair tax vehicle. The income tax goes away.

Don't know about the IRS. I do imagine that there will be in place some type of organization to collect, monitor and enforce any tax law though. Income, sales, whatever. I do not believe it realistic to expect that no such organization would exist.

PS I recorded Stossel last night. I will watch when I have time. The subject: What it would look like if we had a completely Libertarian government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Might be why his 999 plan, still has an income based tax, to keep the IRS alive, feeding the fed and wealth redistribution, in other ways.

Eliminate the IRS & income based tax structure and Cain would have my vote over Ron Paul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections