Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 08:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Can't argue with much of what you've said with the exception of consensus on Romney. Surrounded by a bunch of fat loud mouthed girls strategy, he looks good for a while until the theater lights come off their dimmer. How much of that consensus is manufactured by madison ave marketing BS? 40%? 90%? Any room left for truth in there?

Thought has occurred to me that Goldman Sachs wanting the government to tell IT everything it wants to hear isn't so different than Greece's house of cards. I don't think Goldman Sachs even knows what's in it's own best interest, and certainly don't care a whit for their persistent interference with policy applicable to all as a whole other level of hostage situation. Ironic to say the least. The very characters hastening the mess and throwing western civilization under a bus are free to continue on manipulating our government thanks to Tea installed agents circumventing justice. Anywhere else they'd be put to death or have their hands cut off.

I'm just saying... surely there's a special place in hell reserved just for this ilk destroying democracy from within. Make no mistake about it. That's precisely what they're doing.
Do you think big business and Wal street only contributes to candidates you may not like, where do you think Obama got his money in 2008, do you think it came from the little $25 and $50 donations the little guy made to him? Get real, whether we like it of not, running for office is very expensive and yes, no one makes it without corporate support from somewhere.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 09:27 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,464,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Do you think big business and Wal street only contributes to candidates you may not like, where do you think Obama got his money in 2008, do you think it came from the little $25 and $50 donations the little guy made to him? Get real, whether we like it of not, running for office is very expensive and yes, no one makes it without corporate support from somewhere.

Nita
Right, just as long as the money didn't come from "George Soros", it's OK then...?!

Old 10-03-2011, 10:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Right, just as long as the money didn't come from "George Soros", it's OK then...?!
It is never ok, but it is life and will not change no matter how much we wish it would. Running a successful campaign has gotten totally out of hand, but it isn't going to change. That is why any candidate without strong financual backing is wasting their time except maybe to get some of the points across. This isn't saying all politicians are dishonest, it is simply saying they depend on the big bucks from the big companies.

Nita

Old 10-03-2011, 12:37 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,175,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmanuelGoldstein View Post
The solution to our economic woes is NOT to get the banks loaning again so people can pile on more personal debt. But then again I would't expect a realtor to say anything else.

We don't need to be building any more houses, period.

The solution? The people in this country AND our government need to learn to live within their means and live without debt.

When peope are able to buy houses, that puts people back to work and vice versa. It is a sign of better times. Businesses to not operate on a cash basis. They have to have a revolving line of credit to do business. I am not currently working actively in real estate so this has nothing to do with my own greed. Every financial expert in the country will tell you that the economy will not rebound until a floor has been put under the housing industry.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Nita

Exactly right, Wall street and the banks loved Obama in 2008 and backed him heavily. This time, not so much because they have seen what he has done to the economy. Now that they are backing someone else the same people bragging about Obama's fund raising skills suddenly have a problem. It's really laughable!

Old 10-03-2011, 01:04 PM

121 posts, read 133,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
When peope are able to buy houses, that puts people back to work and vice versa. It is a sign of better times. Businesses to not operate on a cash basis. They have to have a revolving line of credit to do business. I am not currently working actively in real estate so this has nothing to do with my own greed. Every financial expert in the country will tell you that the economy will not rebound until a floor has been put under the housing industry.
Lots of businesses operate on a cash basis. Mine does. I just recently hired two new employees and bought a few new trucks as well, all cash. Our new property in KC was a cash purchase as well. It's not impossible if you are patient and not greedy.

I take a salary from the business and reinvest every dollar of profit back into the business or save it for a rainy day (which I've had a few of lately ). My salary is only slightly higher than what my full-time drivers are paid on average. I had one who really busted it last year because he needed the money and made more than me! The joy I get out of running a stable, debt free business is that I get to provide good paying jobs for my guys, who are able to support their families and will one day be able to retire with dignity.

No one NEEDS debt. That is a myth.

As for housing, values need to hit the floor (wherever that is) and stay there. Then, and only then, will the market begin to stabilize. Then, if other more important economic indicators begin to improve then maybe increases in value will occur.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Lots of businesses operate on a cash basis. Mine does. I just recently hired two new employees and bought a few new trucks as well, all cash. Our new property in KC was a cash purchase as well. It's not impossible if you are patient and not greedy.

I take a salary from the business and reinvest every dollar of profit back into the business or save it for a rainy day (which I've had a few of lately ). My salary is only slightly higher than what my full-time drivers are paid on average. I had one who really busted it last year because he needed the money and made more than me! The joy I get out of running a stable, debt free business is that I get to provide good paying jobs for my guys, who are able to support their families and will one day be able to retire with dignity.

No one NEEDS debt. That is a myth.

As for housing, values need to hit the floor (wherever that is) and stay there. Then, and only then, will the market begin to stabilize. Then, if other more important economic indicators begin to improve then maybe increases in value will occur.

Well that's great for you! However, if you knew as much about running a business and the housing market as you profess, you would understand my point. It is possible to run an estabished business without credit if it is small enough to do so, but it doesn't allow for new businesses or business growth and expansion.

Borrowing money to make money is not a crime as long as you know how to manage it and don't let it manage you. As a matter of fact, when interest rates are extremely low it can make more financial sense to borrow operating money rather than spending your own.

The housing industry puts a lot of people to work. Because builders are not building houses and haven't been for a few years now in most areas, when housing starts to come back there will be a shortage and then prices will skyrocket once again due to supply and demand. The glut of inventory will be sold off fast.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:29 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,888,510 times
Quote:
What chance do you really believe Ron Paul has of getting the nomination?
Why would anyone with a backbone not vote conscience?

Old 10-03-2011, 01:42 PM

121 posts, read 133,181 times
Quote:
Well that's great for you! However, if you knew as much about running a business and the housing market as you profess, you would understand my point. It is possible to run an estabished business without credit if it is small enough to do so, but it doesn't allow for new businesses or business growth and expansion.

Borrowing money to make money is not a crime as long as you know how to manage it and don't let it manage you. As a matter of fact, when interest rates are extremely low it can make more financial sense to borrow operating money rather than spending your own.

The housing industry puts a lot of people to work. Because builders are not building houses and haven't been for a few years now in most areas, when housing starts to come back there will be a shortage and then prices will skyrocket once again due to supply and demand. The glut of inventory will be sold off fast.
Nonsense. My business has grown tremendously since 2007 because my competitors have folded during the recession, which is the reason for the expansion into KC. All done without taking on any debt. Want to know why my competitors are no longer in business? Yep, you guessed it. Debt. They were caught completely off guard when the economy went into the tank while I had the cash reserves to weather the storm. At least I was nice enough to give the former owner of one of my competitors a job when he lost it all.

I never said that borrowing money was a crime, but a healthy majority of the population are not good at managing debt. They may think they are until something like a job loss hits them and the whole house of cards comes crashing down.

So you suggest we put the cart before the horse when it comes to housing. The demand to build should only return when the glut of inventory skyrockets in value because of scarcity because then we'll have no choice to build more.

Then again, homebuyers these days seem to be allergic to buying existing homes and putting in even a little bit of work to make them their own.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:58 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,464,466 times
Quote:
Not sure I understand what you mean by that. The consensus (and overwhelming evidence) is that banks still have an enormous amount of so-called "hidden inventory" of repossessed properties. In many real estate markets this constant flood of repos has become the new "normal" market, undercutting everything from the competitive pricing of non-repo sales, to existing home values & local tax revenues.

Worse, it's becoming a pernicious cycle that shows no sign of abating, and yet until these repos "wash out" of the system (and the flood of new ones slows), there can be no "stabilizing" of the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections