Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 02:23 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,229,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Clinton survived and prospered because he was the sitting president and his party rallied around him.

Weiner did not because his party and most everyone else assumed his seat would go to a dem anyway and so there was no reason to protect him with a public mea culpa and a softball warm and fuzzy interview on the view. Weiner absolutely could have survived.

Cain, while not widely electable isn't going to be hurt by this that much because most republicans and independents see this as a pure political attack based on old allegations coming out of the camps of his rivals. (ie. Perry)

In this day and age most people have at least one or two experiences with trumped out harrassment claims occurring to someone in their lives, or at their office etc. so that unless you get access to all the facts its hard to really find offense.

I think Cain could have easily survived this if he'd handled it well, but he didn't. He's the one who did himself in, and he has no one else to blame. Regardless of what actually happened, he's changed his story over and over--he denied all of it at first, and then when it came out that there really are two women with settlements, the story changed by the hour. Later--after he said he had no recollection of what happened, he admitted that he told the whole story to his campaign manager during his Senate race because he thought it might be a problem. He's thrown out wild accusations--first the liberals were out to get him because he was a black conservative, then it was Perry's camp working with the D's (which he's completely backtracked on now). It's insane.

He's a liar. It doesn't matter what he did or didn't do--what matters is that he can't seem to tell the truth about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 02:26 PM

61,255 posts, read 87,646,713 times
no worse than a media predator. there is money is slander rush is da man.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:26 PM

45,822 posts, read 27,470,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
He's a liar. It doesn't matter what he did or didn't do--what matters is that he can't seem to tell the truth about it.
So you KNOW the truth on this?

Old 11-03-2011, 02:48 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,229,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
So you KNOW the truth on this?
I have no idea what he actually did in terms of the sexual harassment case, and I don't really care. How he's handled this is what's going to do him in. All I know is that he went from denying the entire thing, to saying he can't remember what happened, to admitting that there was at least one settlement (there are two confirmed settlements for sexual harassment), to changing the story over and over about what type of settlement it was and why one was made, to finally admitting that he told his Senate campaign manager about the whole mess several years ago because he knew it might come up as a campaign problem. Does that sound like a truthful response to you?

As far as the rest of it--he has a former coworker at the NRA saying he's witnessed Cain behaving inappropriately to female employees and that it was a widely known problem, another former employee (not one of the two with settlements and a gag order) says he propositioned her, and a conservative media personality says Cain was inappropriate to the radio station's female staff when he was there for an interview. That doesn't lend much credibility to his stand that the allegations against him were false.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:02 PM

17,411 posts, read 12,026,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
He will loose the support of women because of this, imo.
Hardly. This woman is SICK of women in the workplace screaming "harassment" every time a man makes them uncomfortable, going for the big payout, because they can. It just makes it harder for all women to be equal in the workplace.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:57 PM

25,835 posts, read 20,774,705 times
Every time I see the title of this thread, I can't help wondering 'wow?'
Someone calling Bill Clinton a sexual predator garners a 'wow?'

Really?

Old 11-03-2011, 04:01 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,865,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
bout 15 minutes long, but i agree with rush's analysis on cain and this trumped up crap.

Limbaugh: Politico Story Was An "Unconscionable Racially Charged Attack" | RealClearPolitics
He IS the mother of such!

Old 11-03-2011, 04:36 PM

45,822 posts, read 27,470,187 times
Quote:
I have no idea what he actually did in terms of the sexual harassment case, and I don't really care. How he's handled this is what's going to do him in. All I know is that he went from denying the entire thing, to saying he can't remember what happened, to admitting that there was at least one settlement (there are two confirmed settlements for sexual harassment), to changing the story over and over about what type of settlement it was and why one was made, to finally admitting that he told his Senate campaign manager about the whole mess several years ago because he knew it might come up as a campaign problem. Does that sound like a truthful response to you?

As far as the rest of it--he has a former coworker at the NRA saying he's witnessed Cain behaving inappropriately to female employees and that it was a widely known problem, another former employee (not one of the two with settlements and a gag order) says he propositioned her, and a conservative media personality says Cain was inappropriate to the radio station's female staff when he was there for an interview. That doesn't lend much credibility to his stand that the allegations against him were false.
I haven't watched the blow by blow details - and I don't intend to because really has nothing to do with nothing. There is no current pattern of misconduct - and this is just gotcha politics. None of this will improve America's lot in the world - nor will it help anyone individually.

This says more about his political enemies in that they now fear Cain getting more and more traction in the polls.

And if Cain gets through this and maintains, or remains close to the top, watch out - because he will be much stronger.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:59 AM

78,930 posts, read 61,113,448 times
Quote:
I think Cain could have easily survived this if he'd handled it well, but he didn't. He's the one who did himself in, and he has no one else to blame. Regardless of what actually happened, he's changed his story over and over--he denied all of it at first, and then when it came out that there really are two women with settlements, the story changed by the hour. Later--after he said he had no recollection of what happened, he admitted that he told the whole story to his campaign manager during his Senate race because he thought it might be a problem. He's thrown out wild accusations--first the liberals were out to get him because he was a black conservative, then it was Perry's camp working with the D's (which he's completely backtracked on now). It's insane.

I guess I just felt that Cain wasn't going to ultimately win the nomination anyway so the issue and how well he dealt with it were rather moot.

I agree that he hasn't handled the situation well. EVERY politician is going to face attacks of some sort or another.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:01 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,713,172 times
If you believe Limbaugh has any creditability at all then you might as well get your news from your local crack house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections