Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 07:22 AM

27,219 posts, read 46,832,146 times

Advertisements

Almost every news channel is talking about Herman Cain and how likable he is and hard to beat.

Isn't that the same as we dealt with in 2008? Obama was/is a likable man too and see where we are with jobs, foreign affairs, immigrations, etc...!

We need a President who is qualified and not "just" a "likable" person.

I'm getting so annoyed by all this and if you say something else than you are made out to be a racist!

I have 2 kids who are getting closer and closer to be in the need of a job. One will graduate College next year and it is not sure what the chances are to find a decent job. I know both of them will take any job because they are not people who are willing to sit at home and keep their hands out for a free check from the government.

As a person I believe that both Obama and Cain are nice people, but although Cain might have more experience in leading a business, the way he handled this whole herassement issue showed me clearly that he has no clue about politics and how to handle things.

Next thing what is a concern to me is his spokesman, the smoking guy who has a foreclosure on his record and a lot more...not an example of a person who can handle his own finances and the way he is handling things is even worrying me more.

Likable is not what makes a person qualified for being the President. I know plenty of likable people, non of them are qualified, or perhaps in the eyes of the media they can all be the President...wow that worries me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 07:27 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,974,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Almost every news channel is talking about Herman Cain and how likable he is and hard to beat.

Isn't that the same as we dealt with in 2008? Obama was/is a likable man too and see where we are with jobs, foreign affairs, immigrations, etc...!

I'm getting so annoyed by all this and if you say something else than you are made out to be a racist!

I have 2 kids who are getting closer and closer to be in the need of a job. One will graduate College next year and it is not sure what the chances are to find a decent job. I know both of them will take any job because they are not people who are willing to sit at home and keep their hands out for a free check from the government.

As a person I believe that both Obama and Cain are nice people, but although Cain might have more experience in leading a business, the way he handled this whole herassement issue showed me clearly that he has no clue about politics and how to handle things.

Next thing what is a concern to me is his spokesman, the smoking guy who has a foreclosure on his record and a lot more...not an example of a person who can handle his own finances and the way he is handling things is even worrying me more.

Likable is not what makes a person qualified for being the President. I know plenty of likable people, non of them are qualified, or perhaps in the eyes of the media they can all be the President...wow that worries me!
Obama will have Four Years of experience as President that alone makes him more qualified than any of the GOP candidates

Old 11-04-2011, 07:38 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,608,179 times
Quote:

Good post, too bad repubs will ignore it.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:38 AM

99,798 posts, read 4,502,457 times
Quote:

This is nothing new. You left out the classic example in 2000. George W. Bush was considered more likable. People said they wanted to have a beer with the guy. You see where that got us.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,970,581 times
actually it takes both, likability and qualifications, or it should. If someone isn't likeable it is hard for them to get thier points across, right or wrong; if they are simply likeable and not qualified their points are not worth getting across.

Nita

Old 11-04-2011, 05:58 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,198,803 times
Quote:
Please cite any major news outlet that calls him that. I haven't see one.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:19 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,991,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
In the poll, 61 percent of Americans liked Cain as opposed to 19 percent that did not. Further, among Republicans, 82 percent of Republicans said Cain was “likable” as opposed to five percent that did not.

Cain’s likability is at the core of his appeal, and it was reflected in the Quinnipiac poll in which 75 percent of Republicans said Romney had the right “knowledge and experience” to be President while 51 percent said Cain did.
Allegations Galvanize Cain Supporters, Also Threaten His Greatest Strength--Likability - HUMAN EVENTS

Quote:
But the man is likable, especially if you consider yourself right-leaning. He has a michievious spark to his eyes and is quick to make a joke – sometimes jokes that don’t include incinerating Mexicans. Cain fits the role of outsider perfectly and his resume inspire confidence even when his words don’t. Mainly, though, he has that undefinable quality that has benefited successful politicians throughout the modern era. He’s likable.

Likability seems to be an incredibly overlooked factor in politics today. But George W. Bush managed to get elected twice based on the fallacious assumption that he’d be a fun guy to have a beer with, even though he hasn’t enjoyed the company of an ordinary American since before his Yale days. Barack Obama’s whipping of John McCain was obviously aided by the fact that Obama came off as friendly and charming, while McCain decided to play the anger card. And McCain’s running mate – Sarah Palin – burst onto the scene with an explosion of likability, an advantage she quickly squandered when her true personality became clear.
Herman Cain is likable, and for now, that’s enough « Politics « William K. Wolfrum Chronicles

Quote:
But when asked which Republican candidate was the most "likeable," Mr Cain led the pack with 34 per cent, to 29 per cent for Mr Romney and 13 per cent for Mr Perry.
Mitt Romney leads Republicans but Herman Cain more 'likeable', poll finds - Telegraph

Quote:
As
I said on MSNBC earlier, politicians build their campaigns on different foundations. For some, their credibility is derived from experience or expertise or even authenticity. Herman Cain’s support is premised almost entirely on his tremendous likability.
That’s why getting a few facts wrong here or there doesn’t hurt him; people don’t support him because of his fastidiousness — they support him because they like him.
And likability covers a multitude of sins.
[LEFT]
Read more: ‘Swiftboating’ Herman Cain? | The Daily Caller
[/LEFT]
Quote:
“Herman Cain is doing a major thing right now. He’s got a lot of momentum,” Amy Kremer, chairman of the Tea Party Express, told CNN. “A lot of people like him. He’s a straight talker. He’s a businessman. And that’s what people like. He knows how to run a business. He knows how to create jobs. He knows about profits . . . He’s got some traction right now, so I think he’s one to watch.”
http://hermancainpac.com/2011/10/her...ents-and-more/

Quote:
“Cain’s a likable guy, and the accusations haven’t been very specific. There’s a lot of vague innuendo, and no accuser has actually stepped forward,” Judson Phillips, creator of Tea Party Nation, said yesterday.
Many stick by Herman Cain... for now - BostonHerald.com

Quote:
Herman Cain is likable -- far more so than Romney, as even most of Mitt's supporters would have to admit if pressed. Romney's image problem goes beyond his manner at the podium and the insincerity some impute to his views.[LEFT]
Read more: Articles: Cain-Romney 2012?
[/LEFT]
Google

There, I gave you a pretty good head start. I seriously can't believe you've never heard one of the three main MSM meme's used to prop up Herman Cain: "he's likable," "he's a straight shooting businessman!," and of course "he's a strong black conservative!" I agree there is no excuse for ignorance unfortunately you showed some of it with your statement.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:33 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,991,260 times
Quote:

Look around at America for a moment, look at the dire straights our country is in if you will. Engaged in a multitude of wars with vast expansive global empire that costs hundreds of billions a year to maintain, soaring debt, record deficits, rising inflation, bailouts, the faltering of the Eurozone, vanishing civil liberties, assassination of US citizens, rising healthcare costs, and vast unemployment. We didn't just arrive here, it took decades and decades of failed policies and corrupt politicians and corporatists to get us here. It's very easy to lay all the blame on Washington and the army of crony capitalists Congress however remember who reelects these idiots year in and year out.

The American electorate always clamors for "change" but all that means to most Americans is replacing an (R) with a (D) or vice versa. When a real candidate of change comes along he gets labeled "kooky" and ignored or mocked. The truth is, many people are stupid, they keep falling for the same BS packaged slightly different again and again. The fact that Herman Cain is currently a top the polls is a testament to the gullibility of the American electorate.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:19 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Obama will have Four Years of experience as President that alone makes him more qualified than any of the GOP candidates

Only if he had learned anything by his experience. Obviously, he hasn't learned enough from the results he has gotten.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:20 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post

Really??? I don't see how you have missed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections