Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 09:09 PM

730 posts, read 829,507 times

Advertisements

Are his more moderate views ultimately going to be better for country morale? Thinking about Obama, he is extremely polarizng, probably more so than GWB ever was. Do we want to put someone back into office could potentially be as equally polarzing? Despite what a lot of people think of Romney, the country as a whole may be better off. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 09:13 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,939,791 times
Do we really need another politician in office that is involved in what looks like financial fraud on a huge scale?

To assess Romney, look beyond the bottom line - Los Angeles Times

Quote:
Ampad prospered briefly after Bain Capital took it public in 1996. But saddled with increasing debt, Ampad began laying off workers, closing plants and losing money within a year. It filed for bankruptcy protection in 2000. By then, Bain Capital had reaped $102 million in advisory fees, sales of stock and other payments, corporate documents show.

Romney and his team gained huge profits from at least half a dozen companies that soon crashed into bankruptcy.

In 1997 Romney and his team purchased a stake in DDi Corp., an Anaheim-based maker of printed electronic circuit boards. Three years later, Bain Capital netted a $36-million profit after it took the company public. Romney sold his own shares for $4.1 million, according to federal securities records, although his profit margin is unclear.

But DDi's stock soon collapsed, and the company filed for bankruptcy in August 2003, laying off more than 2,100 workers. Bain Capital and DDi executives jointly settled a federal class action lawsuit in March, agreeing to pay $4.4 million to shareholders who argued that DDi was poorly managed and "hemorrhaging cash" before the stock offering, court records show. Romney was not named in the suit.

Still other troublesome cases emerged when Romney ran for governor of Massachusetts in 2002. Chief among them was Damon Corp., a medical testing company based in Needham, a Boston suburb.

Romney had joined Damon's board of directors after Bain Capital purchased a stake in 1990. He remained there until Corning Inc. bought the company three years later. Bain tripled its investment.

Romney personally profited on the sale, claiming more than $100,000 in capital gains on sales of his own Damon stock, records showed.

But in 1996, Damon pleaded guilty in federal court in Boston to massive overbilling of the Medicare system and paid $119 million in criminal and civil fines.

Then-U.S. Atty. Donald K. Stern called it "a case, pure and simple, of corporate greed run amok." No one at Bain was implicated in the fraud.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:32 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,396,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady's Man View Post
Are his more moderate views ultimately going to be better for country morale? Thinking about Obama, he is extremely polarizng, probably more so than GWB ever was. Do we want to put someone back into office could potentially be as equally polarzing? Despite what a lot of people think of Romney, the country as a whole may be better off. What do you think?
How do you know Romney has moderate views? How do you know what he really thinks?? About anything???

I just saw a tape of an interview he did with Mike Huckabee where he said he would "absolutely" support a "personhood begins at conception" bill, just like the one shot down by Mississippi voters. That sounds pretty radical to me

It also means Romney has less horse sense than the average Mississipian.

OR... is it yet another case of ol' Willard SAYING ANYTHING to pander to whatever auudience is listening????

Why would you think we'd be better off with a guy like that as president? Yuck.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:35 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,016,508 times
Quote:
Romney will be great for those that like the current direction of our nation. He's little different from Obama who was little different from Bush who was little different from Clinton etc...

Old 11-09-2011, 10:21 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,974,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Romney will be great for those that like the current direction of our nation. He's little different from Obama who was little different from Bush who was little different from Clinton etc...
I think you are correct. Certainly someone like Ron Paul or even Michele Bachmann would be a bit more "different."

I always maintained that there wasn't that much of a contrast between the mainstream politicians of either party.

Is it just me, or do I get the impression that "the party bosses" select the candidate and not really the rank-and-file? After all, it is the candidates that can raise the most money that always get the nod from their respective parties.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:23 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,983,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I think you are correct. Certainly someone like Ron Paul or even Michele Bachmann would be a bit more "different."

I always maintained that there wasn't that much of a contrast between the mainstream politicians of either party.

Is it just me, or do I get the impression that "the party bosses" select the candidate and not really the rank-and-file? After all, it is the candidates that can raise the most money that always get the nod from their respective parties.
Another thing to think about, it has been the " mainstream, electable" candidates that have been running this country for decades. You'd think people would wake up and stop electing "mainstream" politicians. But, we all know what Einstein said about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.....

Old 11-09-2011, 10:28 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,016,508 times
Quote:

I believe it's less a matter of the "party bosses" picking the candidates than it is the "bosses" in general.

The current mainstream parties fire up their bases by arguing minutiae. In reality there is little difference between them. They both consistently produce candidates that are far more concerned with empowering government than they are with representing the interests of their constituents.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:31 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,189,945 times
Quote:

He is not all that moderate on most issues, but compared to some of the other candidates he may seem that way, because what he proposes to do is actually quite possible. He doesn't say he is planning outrageous things that are impossible because he really plans on being able to do what he says. He will appeal not only to Republicans, but also to Independents and some who voted for Obama last time but are very fed up with him now. Mitt can carry states like Michigan, Nevada, possibly New Hampshire and some of the swing states that the other candidates more than likely will not.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:01 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,259,350 times
Two words can describe Romney perfectly: flip & flop. His only redeeming quality is he isn't a complete buffoon like the other GOP clowns running.

Either than changing his positions constantly, Romney is an empty suit who made his millions outsourcing American jobs to China. Good luck running with that in this day and age where people hate Wall Street greed and corporate cronyism.

And plus, I don't trust any American male who has never touched alcohol in his entire life. What a weirdo.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:03 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,101,737 times
Quote:

Herman Cain has less $$$ than Ron Paul and he was leading the polls until the Chicago Democrat Mob started the same kind of politics I've watched here in Illinois for as long as I can remember

Im a Ron Paul voter in the primary, but sadly if he doesn't get the nomination this looks like an "Anybody but 0bama" election

One thing Im waiting on is an actual debate between 0bama and the nominee, Dems seem to think 0 is invincible...

Far from it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections