Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2011, 04:12 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Me too! Why, I'm almost positive Bubba could have vetoed it if he wanted to.
And any corporate CEO can veto moving their factories and businesses overseas as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 04:30 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Again it was a republican bill pushed by republicans and with many more GOP congress persons voting for it than the dems. Going "neener neener neener! you guys voted for it!" while "your" side created, pushed and supported it substantially more is a ridiculous argument.

Someone's been hitting the fox news hard Why don't you provide some proof for your outlandish claims, otherwise this is just more fabricated right wing lies.

Wow, you can read minds now? Is that you Miss Cleo?
Lets also not forget the dems tried to pass a couple bills to stop offshoring as of late and of course the right wingers shot them down. To hell with the american people, more and more $$ for the top of the ladder is all that matters, that's the GOP mantra

Ok, for the clueless among you it was Clinton who pushed NAFTA, and he is, was, and always will be a Democrat.

Nafta Votes By Party | Clinton Jilting His Party to Woo NAFTA Votes, Labor Chief Says : Trade: AFL-CIO leader assails the President for pork-barrel deals with Republicans. He sees defeat of pact benefiting the Administration. - Los Angeles Times

"Whenever you're up against the Treasury of the United States and the capacity of the Administration to open it up and extend favors on a retail basis at the cost of the taxpayers, you can't take anything for granted," he said. "That's a heavy force, and I can't tell you I'm totally confident."

Kirkland assailed Clinton for promising to extend support to Republicans who vote for the pact if they are assailed by Democratic opponents in the 1994 campaign. "The President has clearly abdicated his role as leader of the Democratic Party," he said. "I take it it's something he was coerced into doing by (House Republicans). The pressure was put on him, and he succumbed to it.""

Old 11-14-2011, 04:37 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,571,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Why would they want to do that now ?
It turned out OK for the teachers and schools.
They have a surplus and the teachers got cheaper health insurance.
States with teacher's unions far outperform those that do not have one.

That may be one reason.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:47 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
And any corporate CEO can veto moving their factories and businesses overseas as well.
Why should they? You think business is all about losing money?

The unions have forced business to go off shore in order to be competitive.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:50 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
States with teacher's unions far outperform those that do not have one.

That may be one reason.
incorrect

even FDR said that PUBLIC unions should NOT have barganing holding the taxpayer hostage

becaue PUBLIC unions are not supposed to have barganing...period

National Labor Relations Act ("Wagner Act"),Congress enacted the landmark Act in 1935 - the Magna Carta of the American labor movement. It excluded federal, state and local employees. It created the National Labor Relations Board to enforce the rights of labor.

even FDR said so

"""Meticulous attention should be paid to the special relationships and obligations of public servants to the public itself and to the government. All Government employees should realize that the process of collective bargaining, as usually understood, cannot be transplanted into the public service. It has its distinct and insurmountable limitations ... The very nature and purposes of Government make it impossible for ... officials ... to bind the employer ... The employer is the whole people, who speak by means of laws enacted by their representatives ...

"Particularly, I want to emphasize my conviction that militant tactics have no place in the functions of any organization of government employees. Upon employees in the federal service rests the obligation to serve the whole people ... This obligation is paramount ... A strike of public employees manifests nothing less than an intent ... to prevent or obstruct ... Government ... Such action, looking toward the paralysis of Government ... is unthinkable and intolerable."""...FDR 1937

and you want to know WHY it is a problem to have 'collective barganing' in the PUBLIC SECTOR............The problem is there is no REAL "collective bargaining." ......Public sector unions are a client of a Democratic bureaucracy that wants their vote. The taxpayer - the "employer" - isn't a player in the bargaining process......

even look at your local school budget vote...it has NOTHING to due with the PAY/benefits of the teachers..you vote on 1/10th of the entire budget.....

this is why the liberals and the unions are protesting

“Without the mandatory dues from public employee unions, the democrat party is toast. Once this ball is rolling and taxpayers realize how the scam of public unions work, this wave will be unstoppable. Wi. dems better keep running.â€

Old 11-14-2011, 04:56 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
they are going to go where they can make their product for the least expense

if it (speaking of property tax here) if is cheaper to have your factory in NC rather than the more expensive NY...where do you think they will have their factory

we have the highest corporate taxes in the world

Old 11-14-2011, 05:05 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,929,680 times
Scott Walker is the first real man Wisconsin has had in office in over 20 years.
Now the public servants are getting snapped back into the financial bracket they are not worth.
Scott knows the real working class will not sit idly while nose pickers working for the state nurse off their taxes.
Scotts' policies simply say: " **** and be thankful you still have a job" . ...As it should be.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:24 PM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Default NEA against merit performance because it is incompatible with tenure.

"States with teacher's unions far outperform those that do not have one."

Outperform them doing what?
Collecting dues to support Dem political campaigns?

NJEA spent 7million $$$ to fight Chris Christie legislation and they lost.

NEA against merit performance because it is incompatible with tenure.

NEA claims to support teachers but declares time on the job is directly related to higher teacher performance. To denegrate the teaching profession in such a manner is unthinkable. Teachers and teaching do not deserve to be lumped in with most rudimentary jobs where skill is acquired by time on the job. Tenure equates teachers skills to the abilities of Lucy and Ethel on the choclate candy assembly line.

Scott Walker is a hero and friend to teachers and the taxpayers.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:38 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Again it was a republican bill pushed by republicans and with many more GOP congress persons voting for it than the dems. Going "neener neener neener! you guys voted for it!" while "your" side created, pushed and supported it substantially more is a ridiculous argument.

Someone's been hitting the fox news hard Why don't you provide some proof for your outlandish claims, otherwise this is just more fabricated right wing lies.

Wow, you can read minds now? Is that you Miss Cleo?
Lets also not forget the dems tried to pass a couple bills to stop offshoring as of late and of course the right wingers shot them down. To hell with the american people, more and more $$ for the top of the ladder is all that matters, that's the GOP mantra
1) I'm an independant that voted for Obama.

2) I wouldn't watch FOX if you paid me. I am pretty much a CNN guy.

3) GE is extensively known for offshoring, to wave this off as "right wing lies" is hillarious and shows just how many cups-o-koolaid you've had. Want to guess who got the most campaign money from Exxon in 08' while you are on such a fail streak?

4) I don't have a "side" so with me it's about issues and not "you guys".

5) I'd be more than happy to read about the dem attempts to stop offshoring. Why didn't they pass it in 09' when they had the numbers? I mean that was when the repealed the Bush tax cuts for the rich, closed Guantanamo and accelerated the Bush plan for troop withdrawl from Iraq? Oh wait they did none of that and in fact just extended the Bush tax cuts.

6) It doesn't take miss cleo to spot someone that refuses to accept the well known fact that the dems could have easily stopped NAFTA and instead joined in. I'm not saying the repubs are different, just pointing out they are pretty much the same.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:49 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Why should they? You think business is all about losing money?

The unions have forced business to go off shore in order to be competitive.
In fairness, it's not the unions so much as the consumers.

I mean look how much everyone complains about Walmart but their stores are packed.

US consumers want cheap. They don't care if it was made using child labor in China.

Lastly I would add that I'm very pro-union in the private sector and let the free markets work it out. It's in the public sector especially in areas dominated by a single political party where the inefficiency and corruption become endemic.

In some cases the unions become so politically entrenched that they don't even help the rank and file. It's the politicians on one hand and their friends and relatives in top union (and private business) jobs that use the mechanism to help themselves and not the union members or anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections