Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 09:54 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,071,496 times

Advertisements

Summary of what's in it:

18-year term limits for all new federal judges including future appointees to the Supreme Court. (Acknowledges needs constitutional amendment)

Privatize TSA. Restructure and reform EPA. Get rid of 3 Departments: Commerce, Energy and Education. Essential functions of those Departments transferred to other agencies.

Freeze federal pay and civilian hiring until a Balanced Budget Amendment is ratified.

Veto unfunded mandates on states, schools, communities.

Immediate moratorium on federal regulations. Full audit of regulations to find out what is affordable, effective, appropriate. Database of searchable regulations. Sunset regulations unless Congress votes to renew them.

Cut Congress pay in half. Part time pay. Repeal rules that prevent them from holding real jobs back home. Calls it Citizen-Congress.

Two-thirds vote by Congress on any tax increases.

Criminalize insider trading by Congress.

Rick Perry goes after Congress, judges

http://www.politico.com/static/PPM41...factsheet.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 09:58 AM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Who cares? Perry has bumbled his way to an afterthought.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:25 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,689,850 times
Spoken like a true conservative..... just what the tea party wants to hear...... Perry is ready to pretend he will be the mitt romney you have been looking for and the tea party solutions we have been asking for. Getting rid of government departments (Paul) balancing a budget (Paul for 30 years) etc etc but we will ignore that Perry's campaign asked PAUL to be his economic advisor!
Then we wake up and realize Perry is nothing more then a big government supporter, sounding like BUSH in 2000, running Gores campaign and hoping there is enough stupid republicans to vote for him. OPPS
The biggest problem with most of the republicans on that stage is NOBODY CAN BE TRUSTED!!!! THEY HAVE BEEN LAIRS, SUPPORTING TARP, GLOBAL WARMING and many other unconstitutional powers and use of abuse in government and then like to pretend they never did any of it and media doesnt waste anytime not bringing it UP! Expect for maybe Paul the rest are again PRETENDERS.

Paul doesnt need speeches written for him, is 76 years old and always remembers the agencies he wants to get rid of because he has been saying it for 30 years consistant limited government and following the constitution appears easy for PAUL. Besides you dont have to go back to far to see Paul in the 2008 election saying what all these "tea party" flavor of the month republicans have been saying in the debates. In fact in the very first debates I watched Mitt suddenly tell us nation building is bad, perry sounding like paul, newt suddenly gettting tough on the FED and then to get the fox news channel and play good little ACTORS!

Old 11-15-2011, 01:40 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,582,785 times
I will give you credit, Laura. You truly aren't giving up on him.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:34 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,071,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I will give you credit, Laura. You truly aren't giving up on him.
Of course, I'm not. Rick Perry was a captain and a pilot in the US Air Force, has three terms in the Texas State House, ran for Agriculture Commissioner twice and won, was lieutenant Governor and finished George Bush's term as Governor when he went to the White House and then was elected to three terms as Governor of Texas. That means he has military, legislative and executive experience and people keep putting him in office in a state that typically shares my values. He has been dirt poor and he has been comfortable. He can talk to all kinds of people across the country. He has a record of stepping up to the plate when he took in all of those poor people from Louisiana after Katrina. He has a record of job creation, wooing the job creators, personally, but also fostering an environment in the state that make doctors and business owners go there. He has a really good BUSINESS relationship with Israel. Energy jobs will put all kinds of workers back to work and that's a plus not only for those workers but a plus for the rest of us who won't be supporting those people, anymore. Plus, freedom from foreign oil, isn't that the key to our national security? He's the guy on the debate stage that knows energy. He wants to take "a wrecking ball" to big government: overspending, over-regulation, over-taxing. He wants to cap government spending at 18 percent of GDP and balance the budget.

I'm not tossing him overboard because he's a lousy debater since debating is not a job a POTUS does in office. Only candidates debate. Presidents don't debate.

Mitt Romney is a flip flopper one term governor who takes a different side of every issue depending how the political winds are blowing. I have no idea what he stands for, only what he stands for today. He's too big a risk to to get my vote because after he gets in office is he pro-life, gun control, Romneycare, humans cause global warming Romney or is he the guy he professes to be right now? Jon Huntsman thinks Obama is a remarkable leader and to prove it went to work for him. That's all I need to know about him. If I wanted to vote Democrat, I'd vote for Obama. Herman Cain, eh, I just don't want to pay a national sales tax and an income tax and that's only going to make the IRS bigger if they have an additional tax. Plus, a national sales tax will only add an additional burden to the job creators, small businessmen. That is the total opposite of what we should be looking for in job creation. Since he mentions 9-9-9 more than Michelle Bachmann mentions her foster kids, that's troubling to me. And if Congress doesn't go along with 9-9-9 he's got nothing to distinguish himself from the others. Also, if all of his experts are going to tell him what he should do on everything, maybe I should just find out who those experts are and vote for them. Those are my choices.

The other guys are ideas guys with zero executive experience in running anything large and you want to give them the biggest executive job there is? We all have ideas, if we had money and ego, maybe we should run for office, too. I'm not contributing to a Republican Obama stumbling around the first year to two years they are in office because they have no clue about being an executive/what an executive does.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:45 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,965,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Summary of what's in it:

18-year term limits for all new federal judges including future appointees to the Supreme Court. (Acknowledges needs constitutional amendment)

Privatize TSA. Restructure and reform EPA. Get rid of 3 Departments: Commerce, Energy and Education. Essential functions of those Departments transferred to other agencies.

Freeze federal pay and civilian hiring until a Balanced Budget Amendment is ratified.

Immediate moratorium on federal regulations. Full audit of regulations to find out what is affordable, effective, appropriate. Database of searchable regulations. Sunset regulations unless Congress votes to renew them.

Cut Congress pay in half. Part time pay. Repeal rules that prevent them from holding real jobs back home. Calls it Citizen-Congress.

Yes, go after Congress, half of whom are Republicans, many of them GOP leaders, now that is a way to end your national political plans quickly, jeeeez the man is an idiot, but hey some of us Texans have been telling that to you guys since he first started acting like he might run

Old 11-15-2011, 04:41 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,704,028 times
Quote:
Summary of what's in it:

A not-so intelligent governor wants to uproot the three branches of our government all of the sudden? He wasn't even able to name the third federal agency he wanted to eliminate.

Scary.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:09 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,627,559 times
i think these would've been good ideas in 1996.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:31 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,394,271 times
Quote:
Of course, I'm not. Rick Perry was a captain and a pilot in the US Air Force, has three terms in the Texas State House, ran for Agriculture Commissioner twice and won, was lieutenant Governor and finished George Bush's term as Governor when he went to the White House and then was elected to three terms as Governor of Texas. That means he has military, legislative and executive experience and people keep putting him in office in a state that typically shares my values. He has been dirt poor and he has been comfortable. He can talk to all kinds of people across the country. He has a record of stepping up to the plate when he took in all of those poor people from Louisiana after Katrina. He has a record of job creation, wooing the job creators, personally, but also fostering an environment in the state that make doctors and business owners go there. He has a really good BUSINESS relationship with Israel. Energy jobs will put all kinds of workers back to work and that's a plus not only for those workers but a plus for the rest of us who won't be supporting those people, anymore. Plus, freedom from foreign oil, isn't that the key to our national security? He's the guy on the debate stage that knows energy. He wants to take "a wrecking ball" to big government: overspending, over-regulation, over-taxing. He wants to cap government spending at 18 percent of GDP and balance the budget.

I'm not tossing him overboard because he's a lousy debater since debating is not a job a POTUS does in office. Only candidates debate. Presidents don't debate.

Mitt Romney is a flip flopper one term governor who takes a different side of every issue depending how the political winds are blowing. I have no idea what he stands for, only what he stands for today. He's too big a risk to to get my vote because after he gets in office is he pro-life, gun control, Romneycare, humans cause global warming Romney or is he the guy he professes to be right now? Jon Huntsman thinks Obama is a remarkable leader and to prove it went to work for him. That's all I need to know about him. If I wanted to vote Democrat, I'd vote for Obama. Herman Cain, eh, I just don't want to pay a national sales tax and an income tax and that's only going to make the IRS bigger if they have an additional tax. Plus, a national sales tax will only add an additional burden to the job creators, small businessmen. That is the total opposite of what we should be looking for in job creation. Since he mentions 9-9-9 more than Michelle Bachmann mentions her foster kids, that's troubling to me. And if Congress doesn't go along with 9-9-9 he's got nothing to distinguish himself from the others. Also, if all of his experts are going to tell him what he should do on everything, maybe I should just find out who those experts are and vote for them. Those are my choices.

The other guys are ideas guys with zero executive experience in running anything large and you want to give them the biggest executive job there is? We all have ideas, if we had money and ego, maybe we should run for office, too. I'm not contributing to a Republican Obama stumbling around the first year to two years they are in office because they have no clue about being an executive/what an executive does.
Fearless prediction: Perry will overcome his early stumbles, and will be the GOP nominee.

He may be a MORON, but that does not DQ him in the minds of TPers. The anti-intellectual streak on the American Right blends into an anti-intellegence streak.

Perry is the last and only "not Romney" who could conceivably beat Obama. And I no longer believe Romney can get the support he needs to be nominated by today's GOP. He is a two faced souless opportunist whom nobody likes, least of all conservatives.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:49 PM

865 posts, read 677,703 times
Instead of playing the my horse vs your horse, petty finger pointing games, I'll try to be constructive of Perry's direction(opposed to just pointing out that most of his plans conflict with his actions as a governor).
It's a start. I would support most of those ideas. But his foreign policy and diplomatic presence needs a serious adjustment. He's far too aggressive on intervention, and he still recognizes that starting aid at 0 is okay, as long as it can get raised, which is a bandaid fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections