Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 07:13 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,242,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Nobody is pro-war. There are people who can see further out than 5 minutes in front of them though and plan accordingly.
Yup. Love the debating tactic where if you don't agree with x then you must support some opposite extreme.

If you don't support Ron Paul, you support tyranny!

Old 01-03-2012, 07:47 PM

5,298 posts, read 7,678,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I am not a Romney supporter, but if I was wealthy and had the choice, as he has, I wouldn't encourage my children to go into the military either. I would send them to the best schools they could get entry to and give them the best start in life possible. I do think mandatory universal military service like in Israel would be a good idea.
very good post. I agree on the mandatory military service or I guess that would be the draft.....if I were wealthy and some of my kids wanted to go into the military, I would not try and stop them. On the other hand, it would not be my profession of choice for my kids because I wouldn't want them to get killed or maimed.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:32 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,504,938 times
As a Mom of four grown children, I would not judge anyone based on what choices their children make.

Good grief, I have one son who is a gay funeral director! What would people think?!
I have another son who is in the Army, because he likes shooting things....he felt like he died and went to heaven when he was in Basic, and got to shoot several huge guns and blow stuff up. Please, don't judge me on him.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:34 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,086,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
President Obama is Commander-in-chief of the United States armed forces. That is the highest rank anyone can assume in the military.
Ah....gawds. You MUST be joking.

It is a CIVILIAN position, bestowed upon the person who sits in the Oval Office.

Besides, who cares whether his sons served in the military or not? No one but the Left, of course. Obama didn't serve either, so it shouldn't bother you if Mitt didn't serve.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:38 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,296,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

Good grief, I have one son who is a gay funeral director! What would people think?!
Well, I certainly wouldn't go around telling people your son is a funeral director. LOL

Old 01-03-2012, 08:56 PM

33,387 posts, read 35,009,282 times
Quote:
Not to beleaguer the point, what I am trying to say is that he lacks credibility trying to present himself as some sort of ultra Patriot to the public when neither he nor his 5 sons had enough patriotism to serve their country. Is that too hard to understand?

If you are a private citizen, encouraging your kids not to join the military is between you and them. However, if you are gonna run for public office on a platform as a Patriot personal decisions like that are gonna look suspect. There is no greater way to prove one's love for one's country than to voluntarily serve in the military. It seems like the Romneys like America for the wealth and privilege it provides them but don't love America enough to defend her in the military. That's all I'm sayin'
rubbish. i never served in the military, and yet i am a patriot. does that mean i lake any credibility? but i tell you what, you get the marines to accept a 53 year old overweight male with diabetes, high blood pressure, anemia, and advanced kidney disease, and i will head out for paris island south carolina for basic training, and then to where ever the marines want to send me. that good enough for you?

Quote:
Then how is it that other LDS young men managed to join and serve their country? What makes the Romney boys uniquely exempt from military service?
are they exempt from military service? have they chosen to sign up but were rejected by the military? we do not have a draft these days, and as such military service is voluntary. it has been since 1975 after nixon abolished the draft. its like saying because my brother works for IBM, my niece has to major in computer science so that she can also work for IBM. america is the land of the free, and as such we are free to make choices as to our own future. some people choose not to join the military because of religious reasons, other choose not to join because the money in the private sector is better.

Quote:
Imagine if Romney was a Democrat who did "missionary' work in France in lieu of military service to America when it was desperately needed, what would conservatives say about him? Romney certainly fits the bill as a French elitist.
the ONLY president who did not serve in the military, who i went after because of his lack of service was bill clinton, and that was only because he went to albania and other iron curtain countries and organized protests against the vietnam war, after ignoring his own draft notice. we have had a number of presidents that did not serve in the military, its no big deal.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:58 PM

33,387 posts, read 35,009,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Well, I certainly wouldn't go around telling people your son is a funeral director. LOL
why not? is her son doing something that is deceitful? is there some reason that being a funeral director is a disgraceful occupation?

Old 01-03-2012, 09:11 PM

28,152 posts, read 30,189,277 times
Quote:
As a Mom of four grown children, I would not judge anyone based on what choices their children make.
Right on!

Quote:
Hmmm. What I'd think is, "Good for him. He's performing a valuable service."

Quote:
I have another son who is in the Army, because he likes shooting things....he felt like he died and went to heaven when he was in Basic, and got to shoot several huge guns and blow stuff up. Please, don't judge me on him.
Well, as long as he blows up the right stuff, more power to him.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:15 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,570,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInAmerica View Post
I am doing what? Don't put me into a group without knowing me or my positions first.

I don't blame Romney, if he did avoid the draft for Vietnam. I blame him for wanting MORE war than we currently have, but then not having any military experience to understand what it means to be a war-time president. That is a total failure on his part, and it's very disrespectful to the troops. I'm a 6 tour combat veteran, not a friend of a friend, not a military brat through proxy. I take this issue VERY seriously. It is no talking point for me. I have more friends who have died in strictly political wars, and things will not change for the Americans who are considered nothing more than a number, collateral damage, until we have someone in office that practices what they preach.
Well said and thank you for your service.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:25 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,211,455 times
Quote:

lol...my son's college roomate always has loved guns and hunting and he went into the military and I really think he loves it for the same reason.

I have always been very careful not to judge other people's kids or their parenting skills, because I have seen that sort of thing come home to roost right on your own doorstep. You just never know what your kids will do.

Sounds like your kids are doing what they love and that is all that matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections