Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 11:30 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,567,869 times

Advertisements

What's the chance that a man who claims to be patriotic and want to keep America strong never felt the need to serve in the military... neither has his 5 sons? Is it just coincidence that Mitt Romney and his 5 sons never as much as contributed an hour of their lives to serving America?

Consider that if Romney is elected and the neo-cons in his administration decide to start a war with Iran, nobody in Romney's family would have to make a personal sacrifice in the war. I notice this as a pattern among Republicans. They are very quick to send other people's kids off to war... especially the kids of middle class and poor people, but when it comes to their own flesh and blood, serving in the military suddenly becomes an afterthought.

We all know how George W. Bush expertly avoided serving in Vietnam when he had the chance. The only two Republicans who seem to have some credibility where military service is concerned are John McCain (we all know his story) and Michelle Bachmann -- who although veritably crazy -- seems to come from a real military family.

That is why I find Mitt Romney's new found patriotism and nationalistic rhetoric to be very suspect and disingenuous. I'm not saying every politician has to serve in the military. However, the fact that Romney has 5 sons and none of them felt the need to serve reflects badly on Romney. It appears that they think military service is beneath them. It adds to the perception of Romney as an elitist who thinks he and family are better than average Americans.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:47 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,960,178 times
I'm no fan of the GOP candidates, but I don't think Obama has served either.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
I'm no fan of the GOP candidates, but I don't think Obama has served either.
President Obama is Commander-in-chief of the United States armed forces. That is the highest rank anyone can assume in the military.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:58 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,483,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
President Obama is Commander-in-chief of the United States armed forces. That is the highest rank anyone can assume in the military.
Well, if Romney becomes President, then how will he be any different?

Old 01-03-2012, 12:03 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,974,310 times
Quote:
Do you have any idea what you're saying?

Besides, why does it matter? I'm no fan of any of the GOP candidates really, but why should one have to have served in the military to prove themselves capable of running the country? All they need to do is to know what they're doing, and I don't think they need military service to achieve that.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:04 AM

4,019 posts, read 3,960,178 times
Quote:
but has no combat experience.

but I agree, having 5 adult sons with none of them or their dad ever serving is pretty hypocritical for someone who claims to be big on the defense of the country.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Well, if Romney is President, then how will he be any different?
It's different because Romney claims to be more patriotic than Obama yet neither he nor his 5 sons are patriotic enough to serve in the military.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:11 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,488,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Well, if Romney becomes President, then how will he be any different?
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to afoigrokerkok again."

Old 01-03-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
Do you have any idea what you're saying?

Besides, why does it matter? I'm no fan of any of the GOP candidates really, but why should one have to have served in the military to prove themselves capable of running the country? All they need to do is to know what they're doing, and I don't think they need military service to achieve that.
Did you read my post? The issue here is not that someone has to serve in the military to run the country. The point I was trying to make is that Romney goes around claiming to be this great patriot who wants to "keep America strong" but by some weird co-incidence, neither he nor his 5 sons ever felt patriotic enough to join the military.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
but has no combat experience.

but I agree, having 5 adult sons with none of them or their dad ever serving is pretty hypocritical for someone who claims to be big on the defense of the country.
Exactly the point I am trying to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections