Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 01:08 PM

730 posts, read 828,553 times

Advertisements

If wanting to avoid world war iii with Iran makes me an isolationist, well then you can call me an isolationist any day of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 01:10 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,245,295 times
The last time the US had an isolationist foreign policy we eventually ended up in foreign wars.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:12 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,954,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Sure at the tourist traps and resorts, of course they love Americans ... money. So I've no doubt you came away thinking they love the USA and think we're wonderful in every way.

And yes of course I've been outside the US. Get over yourself.

I think the quote you were shooting for was, "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." Teddy Roosevelt referenced that saying a lot.

The trouble is, we are not walking or speaking softly. Not even a little bit. We're stomping around the globe screaming and whacking everyone in the head with our big stick that pisses us off. And sticking around in Afghanistan makes us look like empire builders. How many more decades are we going to be there?

I don't want Iran to get nukes anymore than the next guy. Yes that is a valid threat and on that point, Paul and I differ. But we've had Iran surrounded for almost a decade. Iraq on one side. Afghanistan and Pakistan on the other. I can understand it if that scares the crap out of them.

But it does lead us back to my whole point. We're using fear to force the nations of the world to conform to our will. What does that make us? How far have we strayed from the America that would view such things as unconscionable?
Sorry to disappoint ya but the vast majority of my travel has nothing to do with being a tourist and I was no where near any tourist traps, heck I try to avoid them even on vacation, I like o see and meet the real people of a country and I have loved do so. Try again.
We are out of Afganistan by the end of 2014, do try reading up before posting, facts do help clear up some issues, trust me they do.
We have Iran bottled up? Really? Pakistan is a fair weather friend at best, Iraq, we are nearly out of there so who knows with them. Afganistan we are fighting a war there, thought you knew that. No, we have no one bottled up. The thing is the world applied the sanctions on Iran over their attempts to build the bomb, rightly so, and who we trade with is our choice, just as it is with our allies. There is no war wth Iran, if one starts it will because they fired the first shot, that is on their heads not ours.
We are forcing nothing on anyone, if you can back that up with some facts we can discuss it further otherwise it comes across as rhetoric and nothing more. We are showing our disapproval of Irans idea of building the Bomb and for darn good reasons, if Paul were running the show we would know they have some when there are mushroom clouds over Israel and the USA, no thanks I will pass on that scenerio.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady's Man View Post
If wanting to avoid world war iii with Iran makes me an isolationist, well then you can call me an isolationist any day of the week.
Few, if any, want a war, it is up to Iran, the ball is in their court and it is them that are making the threats, after all that do you still feel safe with them having the Bomb?

Old 01-04-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I see no evidence to the contrary. Instead of ruling directly, we threaten to invade any country that doesn't do as we wish.

Not war mongering and not attempting to rule the world is not isolationism.
Who have we threatened to invade, please list them all.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:17 PM

730 posts, read 828,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Few, if any, want a war, it is up to Iran, the ball is in their court and it is them that are making the threats, after all that do you still feel safe with them having the Bomb?
Yes. We have enough to destroy the earth several times.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
He made it up or someone fed it to him. My own persnal experience says different. I was rasied a military brat and traveled to several nations (I was born in Germay), I joined the Army and did more traveling (my youngest son was also born in Germany), I worked for the DOD and several of the big defence contractors and did a lot more travel and I have worked the telecom industry which also involved travel. I have yet to find a country that a large number of the people hate the US and Americans. My guess is most of those that make such comments have never left their home state, no less the country, othrwise they would not make them.
And my daughter, until very recently spent about 60 to 70% of her time traveling on business to Mexico, So America, the mid east, Europe and Asia. She hasn't found the people to be anti American particularly. Our oldest granddaughter spend a year in college studying in Australia.

Nita

Old 01-04-2012, 01:44 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,516,176 times
Quote:
Who have we threatened to invade, please list them all.
Iran, among others. Libya already happened, as did Iraq, Afghanistan, and IIRC we have troops in around 135 countries in the world. It's ridiculous and it's time to end it. We can't afford it anymore either.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:45 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,516,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
The last time the US had an isolationist foreign policy we eventually ended up in foreign wars.
After getting involved first. Sending military aid to Britain. If we had stayed out of WWI in the first place, Hitler would not have risen to power.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:45 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,019,043 times
Quote:
I have been right so far, I will let you know when I am wrong
Third place, not 2nd.
Hate, I hate no one, not even Paul, I see you are still confused.

How can it be that people consider any observation or criticism of either a candidate or government policy to be hatred? No person is 100% perfect, and that's certainly true of any government as well. When people assert that there is no difference between Romney and Obama I'm reminded of the 2000 election, when we heard the same about Bush and Kerry, leading many to vote for Nader. It seems clear that, had Gore taken office, there would have been no war in Iraq and our lives and economy would be very different today. Like you I hate no one, but we certainly get our share of personal attacks because we openly support President Obama. Not discussion, not debate, but hate. Luckily, we got training in handling it before coming to C-D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections