Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 11:53 AM

802 posts, read 564,177 times

Advertisements

I knew this would happen and in a way, it is a good thing. Reading the paperwork on this I found out some things I wasn't aware of pertaining to our citizenship statutes back in the 1940's such as the statute listed in this challenge, U.S. Nationality Act of 1940 Sect 201, 54 Stat. 1137 which provides provides the law by which a person born outside the U.S. is bound by in order to qualify legally as a U.S. citizen. For some that do not know, according to Mexican law at the time when Mitts dad George was born in Chihuahua, he became a Mexican citizen. That citizenship was passed to Mitt at his birth in 1947 despite the fact he was born in Michigan. That means Mitt was born a dual citizen and a born dual citizen is not a Article 2 Section 1 natural born citizen eligible for the presidency as our founders intended. Reading the challenge, they bring out the SCOTUS case Minor v Happersett which is binding precedent defining a natural born citizen. They also cite The Venus, 12 U.S. 8 Cranch 253 289 (1814) as well as the case Shanks v. Dupont, 28 U.S. 3 Pet. 242 242 (1830). It goes on to say:

Article 30. Mexican nationality is acquired by birth or by naturalization:
A. Mexicans by birth are:
I. Those born in the territory of the Republic, regardless of the nationality of their parents:

"By virtue of this law, in order for George Romney to have become a U.S. citizen he would have to be naturalized".

I noticed in the link a comment by a reader who stated that this is also a backdoor sublime challenge to Obama's eligibility too. He's right.

Well, it will be interseting how the media responds to this.

Read the story and filing here
Update: Ballot Challenge to Mitt Romney’s Eligibility Filed in Illinois | The Post & Email
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 11:55 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
You birther nutcases haven't gotten anywhere (and never will get anywhere) with your challenges to Obama's eligibility.

You won't get anywhere with your challenges to Romney's eligibility either.

Sorry to break the news to ya.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:13 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Pathetic and stupid. Mitt Romney was born to two life-long American citizens. He was born in Detroit, Michigan. Even if they figure out a way to strip George Romney of citizenship posthumously, there is absolutely no way to do the same thing to his mother, Lenore Romney. She was born and raised in the USA.

The truly ridiculous thing is that Mitt Romney is not a proponent of the birther stupidity against Obama. The source of this move is obviously motivated by a need to strike back at the GOP for the many efforts to prove that he was not legally able to run for President. Romney is one of the few who supports dropping the issue once and for all.

I love how the OP has pointed out how the United States citizens and residents are subject to Mexican Law and that Mexican Law has more power in the USA than US Law does. Mexico can now impeach Presidents, redirect the entire US federal budget to Mexico, levy a "we're way cooler than you" tax on all Americans and so forth. And if they declare that all residents in the United States are now Mexican citizens, then it must be true. Cuz you know, Mexican Law is the true law of the land here in the United States.

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-16-2012 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: discuss the topic, not other posters

Old 01-16-2012, 12:26 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
You birther nutcases haven't gotten anywhere (and never will get anywhere) with your challenges to Obama's eligibility.

We are a nation of laws.

Hurt or help you, they are what they are. Twisting the law to suit you, but not others, means you feel you or your guy is above the law of the land.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:35 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
This is a stupid waste of time and whoever filed it is making themselves look really ignorant. Even if with some antiquated loop hole law and a judge that is half brain dead they found George Romney not a citizen...and they won't...Mitt Romney's mother was born in the US and never left. Mitt Romney was born in Detroit, Michigan. There is nothing to go on here.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:38 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McGarrett View Post
I knew this would happen and in a way, it is a good thing. Reading the paperwork on this I found out some things I wasn't aware of pertaining to our citizenship statutes back in the 1940's such as the statute listed in this challenge, U.S. Nationality Act of 1940 Sect 201, 54 Stat. 1137 which provides provides the law by which a person born outside the U.S. is bound by in order to qualify legally as a U.S. citizen. For some that do not know, according to Mexican law at the time when Mitts dad George was born in Chihuahua, he became a Mexican citizen. That citizenship was passed to Mitt at his birth in 1947 despite the fact he was born in Michigan. That means Mitt was born a dual citizen and a born dual citizen is not a Article 2 Section 1 natural born citizen eligible for the presidency as our founders intended. Reading the challenge, they bring out the SCOTUS case Minor v Happersett which is binding precedent defining a natural born citizen. They also cite The Venus, 12 U.S. 8 Cranch 253 289 (1814) as well as the case Shanks v. Dupont, 28 U.S. 3 Pet. 242 242 (1830). It goes on to say:

Article 30. Mexican nationality is acquired by birth or by naturalization:
A. Mexicans by birth are:
I. Those born in the territory of the Republic, regardless of the nationality of their parents:

"By virtue of this law, in order for George Romney to have become a U.S. citizen he would have to be naturalized".

I noticed in the link a comment by a reader who stated that this is also a backdoor sublime challenge to Obama's eligibility too. He's right.

Well, it will be interseting how the media responds to this.

Read the story and filing here
Update: Ballot Challenge to Mitt Romney’s Eligibility Filed in Illinois | The Post & Email
Let's get Trump's crack investigators on it right away.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:39 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,176,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

It has nothing to do with birther.

It is law. If you believe politicians are above the law, then why bother with this democracy bs.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:46 PM

[quote=godofthunder9010;22568523]Pathetic and stupid. Mitt Romney was born to two life-long American citizens. He was born in Detroit, Michigan. Even if they figure out a way to strip George Romney of citizenship posthumously, there is absolutely no way to do the same thing to his mother, Lenore Romney. She was born and raised in the USA.

The truly ridiculous thing is that Mitt Romney is not a proponent of the birther stupidity against Obama. The source of this move is obviously motivated by a need to strike back at the GOP for the many efforts to prove that he was not legally able to run for President. Romney is one of the few who supports dropping the issue once and for all.

I love how the OP has pointed out how the United States citizens and residents are subject to Mexican Law and that Mexican Law has more power in the USA than US Law does. Mexico can now impeach Presidents, redirect the entire US federal budget to Mexico, levy a "we're way cooler than you" tax on all Americans and so forth. And if they declare that all residents in the United States are now Mexican citizens, then it must be true. Cuz you know, Mexican Law is the true law of the land here in the United States.

Oh my. Look what I found entered into the official Congressional Record in 1967:

Mitt Romney’s, father George W. Romney, Not A Natural Born Citizen of the United States of America, and was NOT, eligible for the Office of President, by Pinckney G. McElwee of D.C. Bar.)

Congressional Record (House) June 14, 1967

“I find no proper legal or historical basis on which to conclude that a person born outside of the United States could ever be eligible to occupy the Office of the President of the United States. In other words, In my opinion, Mr. George Romney of Michigan Is Ineligible to become President of the United States because he was born In Mexico and is, therefore, not a natural-born citizen as required by the United States Constitution.”

http://www.scribd.com/doc/20829167/Natural-Born-Citizen-Congressional-Record-6-14-1967-p-15875-80

Old 01-16-2012, 12:51 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,679,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McGarrett View Post
Oh my. Look what I found entered into the official Congressional Record in 1967:

Mitt Romney’s, father George W. Romney, Not A Natural Born Citizen of the United States of America, and was NOT, eligible for the Office of President, by Pinckney G. McElwee of D.C. Bar.)

“I find no proper legal or historical basis on which to conclude that a person born outside of the United States could ever be eligible to occupy the Office of the President of the United States. In other words, In my opinion, Mr. George Romney of Michigan Is Ineligible to become President of the United States because he was born In Mexico and is, therefore, not a natural-born citizen as required by the United States Constitution.”

http://www.scribd.com/doc/20829167/Natural-Born-Citizen-Congressional-Record-6-14-1967-p-15875-80

That's interesting...

Old 01-16-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Pathetic and stupid. Mitt Romney was born to two life-long American citizens. He was born in Detroit, Michigan. Even if they figure out a way to strip George Romney of citizenship posthumously, there is absolutely no way to do the same thing to his mother, Lenore Romney. She was born and raised in the USA.

Again just to be clear, let us read what was intered into the Congressional Record in 1967 one more time.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections