Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 02:34 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,325,536 times

Advertisements

The WEA trust hardly had a monopoly on health care for tachers. In fact the state's three largest school districts - Milwaukee, Madison and Green Bay - didn't offer the plan. In total the WEA Trust covered 35 percent of the state's school employees. Even more so, school districts already had the flexibility to use other plans. So save the "greedy unions" talk.

Anyways when public employee unions negotiate pay and benefits, they negotiate the [b]total value[b] of their compensation package. They then apportion the amount used for health coverage, the amount for salaries, etc. Cutting their health benefits amounted to a pay cut - which they had already conceded to before Walker stripped their collective bargaining rights. Again, Walker's "budget repair" bill was nothing but a naked power grab. Nothing more, nothing less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 04:23 PM

26,568 posts, read 15,136,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
The WEA trust hardly had a monopoly on health care for tachers. In fact the state's three largest school districts - Milwaukee, Madison and Green Bay - didn't offer the plan. In total the WEA Trust covered 35 percent of the state's school employees. Even more so, school districts already had the flexibility to use other plans. So save the "greedy unions" talk.

Anyways when public employee unions negotiate pay and benefits, they negotiate the [b]total value[b] of their compensation package. They then apportion the amount used for health coverage, the amount for salaries, etc. Cutting their health benefits amounted to a pay cut - which they had already conceded to before Walker stripped their collective bargaining rights. Again, Walker's "budget repair" bill was nothing but a naked power grab. Nothing more, nothing less.
I don't know if you are doing it intentionally or not, but you are distorting reality...the democrats and unions have had to lie and distort a lot to keep this cash cow flowing.

You are being dishonest to say that the WEA Trust was not a Monopoly. The WEA is the biggest teachers union in the state of Wisconsin and in WEA schools the WEA Trust is the ONLY health insurance option. So the WEA Trust has a monopoly at the local level of most Wisconsin school districts.

Your spin about Milwaukee is nothing more than Democrat/Union distortion as they go through a different UNION owned health insurance provider.

"Collective bargaining also adversely affects some districts that aren’t covered by WEA Trust.
The best recent example is the Milwaukee school district, where the deficit-plagued school
board tried to save $48 million and avoid hundreds of teacher layoffs last spring by switching
from an expensive health plan to a lower-cost plan. The union said no, and the layoffs occurred."

Speaking of compensation...because of Walker teachers are getting a salary increase due to the negotiated total compensation and the savings from switching off the Union kick back insurance providers.

http://www.publicschoolspending.com/...nalreport1.pdf

Wisconsin schools buck union to cut health costs | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/politics/2011/07/wisconsin-schools-buck-union-cut-health-costs - broken link)

Old 01-21-2012, 04:29 PM

791 posts, read 461,788 times
I was just listening to an interview of Scott Walker, and it seems that a LOT of those signatures are from folks like Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and Adolph Hitler. One guy interviewed by a local TV news crew said he'd signed 80 times! It's going to take a bit to certify THAT kind of craziness...

Old 01-21-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Zona Stona View Post
I was just listening to an interview of Scott Walker, and it seems that a LOT of those signatures are from folks like Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and Adolph Hitler. One guy interviewed by a local TV news crew said he'd signed 80 times! It's going to take a bit to certify THAT kind of craziness...

The teachers were calling Walker "Adolph Hitler", why would Walker sign a petition to have a vote against himself?!?!?

Doesn't it make you wonder when 'teachers' of all people think comparing Walker to Hitler is a logical and fair comparison?

P.S. I am a teacher sick of the Union taking money away from teachers and public schools by over charging for health insurance.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:44 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,881,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Zona Stona View Post
Face it. Soon Walker and several others will be out of the picture. Learn to face your irrational fears.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Face it. Soon Walker and several others will be out of the picture. Learn to face your irrational fears.
And tax payers, teacher jobs/compensation, and school districts will take a hit as the Unions will most likely get their health insurance monopoly back. Good news if you like Democrat Campaign Donations over schools though.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
And tax payers, teacher jobs/compensation, and school districts will take a hit as the Unions will most likely get their health insurance monopoly back. Good news if you like Democrat Campaign Donations over schools though.
Seems you still have a bit of work to do, in learning to cope when your ideologies are held to critical scrutiny and found lacking. Keep at it, I am sure eventually you will have success.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Seems you still have a bit of work to do, in learning to cope when your ideologies are held to critical scrutiny and found lacking. Keep at it, I am sure eventually you will have success.
Lacking? Every school that Walker let leave the WEA Trust has pink slipped ZERO teachers...ask WEA Trust schools how many teachers they have let go. Oh yeah...the schools that left WEA Trust also gave their teachers bigger pay raises.

I think a lot of teachers are going to have second thoughts and the Union will have serious issues. I don't think every school district is going to let the Union back in to override their votes to save money by switching providers.

My ideology is for public schools, your ideology is for Democratic Campaign Donations out of the public school funds. Congrats, take pride in that.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Lacking? Every school that Walker let leave the WEA Trust has pink slipped ZERO teachers...ask WEA Trust schools how many teachers they have let go. Oh yeah...the schools that left WEA Trust also gave their teachers bigger pay raises.

I think a lot of teachers are going to have second thoughts and the Union will have serious issues. I don't think every school district is going to let the Union back in to override their votes to save money by switching providers.

My ideology is for public schools, your ideology is for Democratic Campaign Donations out of the public school funds. Congrats, take pride in that.
Let leave? Are you familiar at all with the System in Wisc, or anywhere for that matter? Union membership is up to the Teachers involved. Some that had been with WEA Trust had Ins thru the Trust. Some Teachers decided not to rejoin the Union when their agreement expired. They then went to the Private market for Ins and opted for less coverage and higher deductible to save on premiums. The Walker Law allowed the School boards to say, lower wages or lower Ins coverage, your choice. Since they had no bargaining power any more, some choose to be able to pay for food for their kids and accepted less Ins coverage. Of course the United Healthcare like Companies, liked that. But do carry on, I am sure you can find some people to agree with your regurgitation of the Wash Examiner or whoever provides your "truths".

Last edited by florida.bob; 01-21-2012 at 05:52 PM..

Old 01-21-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Let leave? Are you familiar at all with the System in Wisc, or anywhere for that matter? Union membership is up to the Teachers involved. Some that had been with WEA Trust had Ins thru the Trust. Some Teachers decided not to rejoin the Union when their agreement expired. They then went to the Private market for Ins and opted for less coverage and higher deductible to save on premiums. The Walker Law allowed the School boards to say, lower wages or lower Ins coverage, your choice. Since they had no bargaining power any more, some choose to be able to pay for food for their kids and accepted less Ins coverage. Of course the United Healthcare like Companies, liked that. But do carry on, I am sure you can find some people to agree with your regurgitation of the Wash Examiner or whoever provides your "truths".

Yes, I am a teacher. You are wrong. You can't debate that the WEA Trust was costing schools significant amounts of money.

Also, you must be getting more Union propaganda, so far the studies of schools that have switched off of the WEA Trust have said that the teacher wages went up. Of course, you don't bother to read anything outside of what will affirm your beliefs.

The Walker law said that schools could CHOOSE their health insurance provider without the Union FORCING the provider that they own on the school.

The schools can no longer afford to overpay for health insurance with rising health care costs. It is math. Compensation will stay the same...the option he gave the schools was to have higher wages with health insurance provided by the open market or less wages and the Union health insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections