Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 08:08 AM

26,568 posts, read 15,136,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Zona Stona View Post
Just a few miles north of Chicago and you don't know how unions work together? Are you trying to tell me that those 1 million signatures are all "knife wielding librarians"? Don't be naive, I've dealt with union tactics and union thugs most of my life.
I am a teacher and unfortunately have experience with Unions as a reluctant member. I have seen coworkers harass and simply go way out of their way to be a jerk to the one guy that brought on a legal case trying to leave the Union. Throwing his mail on the office floor out of his mail box, teachers getting up when he tries to sit even near them at lunch or an after school meeting, and talking about him behind his back but within ear shot (yes teachers acting like we are in Junior High).

What southtowest doesn't understand is that Unions are anti-democratic:

#1 Unions do not allow private votes so they can intimidate you if you vote the "wrong" way.

#2 They force into the contract between the teachers and the school district that the school district must buy from the Union owned health insurance - typically at rates 30% above fair market competitors.

#3 The Union ignores the will of the teachers that overwhelming vote to shift away from the Union Health Insurance so that the school does not have to lay off teachers or have pay cuts/freezes. They remind us that it is contractually obligated that we buy their expensive insurance.

It is really pathetic that some people are so closed minded and stubborn that they refuse to admit that their democratic-union alliance is wrong on this issue. No one or nothing is perfect, and the democrats and unions, if they continue to act this horribly will only hurt public schools and their own cause.

Unions are killing themselves slowly as people realize the sham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 02:23 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,076,228 times
God Bless you. I tried, and you have gone beyond what I spoke to, about this situation. It is basic math that is the problem. You'll recall I pointed out what other state's are doing about various pension and health benefit deficit problems. That the drivers of the change are state officials are from both parties. So, it is not the mean old conservatives alone that are addressing the problems.

Raw, blind ideology and fear drove the responses to your efforts and mine, as well as others.

I know the fear, and pain associated with economic change, having lost 100% of a private pension a number of years ago. Sure it stung. I was faced with two choices, complain and blame others, or take action. Bet you can guess which I chose?

Plenty of proof has been presented. It is a shame, really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I am a teacher and unfortunately have experience with Unions as a reluctant member. I have seen coworkers harass and simply go way out of their way to be a jerk to the one guy that brought on a legal case trying to leave the Union. Throwing his mail on the office floor out of his mail box, teachers getting up when he tries to sit even near them at lunch or an after school meeting, and talking about him behind his back but within ear shot (yes teachers acting like we are in Junior High).

What southtowest doesn't understand is that Unions are anti-democratic:

#1 Unions do not allow private votes so they can intimidate you if you vote the "wrong" way.

#2 They force into the contract between the teachers and the school district that the school district must buy from the Union owned health insurance - typically at rates 30% above fair market competitors.

#3 The Union ignores the will of the teachers that overwhelming vote to shift away from the Union Health Insurance so that the school does not have to lay off teachers or have pay cuts/freezes. They remind us that it is contractually obligated that we buy their expensive insurance.

It is really pathetic that some people are so closed minded and stubborn that they refuse to admit that their democratic-union alliance is wrong on this issue. No one or nothing is perfect, and the democrats and unions, if they continue to act this horribly will only hurt public schools and their own cause.

Unions are killing themselves slowly as people realize the sham.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Kaukauna school district turns a $400,000 deficit into a $1,500,000 surplus due to Walker's policies.

"In the past, Kaukauna's agreement with the teachers union required the school district to purchase health insurance coverage from something called WEA Trust -- a company created by the Wisconsin teachers union. "It was in the collective bargaining agreement that we could only negotiate with them," says Arnoldussen. "Well, you know what happens when you can only negotiate with one vendor." This year, WEA Trust told Kaukauna that it would face a significant increase in premiums.

Now, the collective bargaining agreement is gone, and the school district is free to shop around for coverage. And all of a sudden, WEA Trust has changed its position. "With these changes, the schools could go out for bids, and lo and behold, WEA Trust said, 'We can match the lowest bid,'" says Republican state Rep. Jim Steineke, who represents the area and supports the Walker changes. At least for the moment, Kaukauna is staying with WEA Trust, but saving substantial amounts of money.
"

The WEA Trust Kept the coverage the same, but dropped the cost more than $300,000 per year. Much of that $300,000 from the tax payers would have went to Union Bosses and Democratic Donations.

This school district is increasing the teacher staff, making smaller class sizes and introducing merit pay.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: Union curbs rescue a Wisconsin school district | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/politics/2011/06/union-curbs-rescue-wisconsin-school-district#ixzz1k9CR6a4g - broken link)
Florida.Bob,
Care to comment?

Old 01-29-2012, 10:30 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,881,188 times
Quote:
Florida.Bob,
Care to comment?
The people of Wisc will make sufficient comment soon, assuming they will need to. Will Walker avoid jail I wonder.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The people of Wisc will make sufficient comment soon, assuming they will need to. Will Walker avoid jail I wonder.
So once again you avoid the issue. You must have come to the conclusion that the union is in the wrong on this issue, but since they fund the democrats you will support them even on issues where they are wrong.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:40 AM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
So once again you avoid the issue. You must have come to the conclusion that the union is in the wrong on this issue, but since they fund the democrats you will support them even on issues where they are wrong.
Give it a rest. You wouldn't have even the sorry two weeks vacation and crappy health care plan you get if it had not been for labor unions.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:42 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,881,188 times
Quote:
Your questions have been asked and answered. Also, I am sure that some Private Ins Cos do not like that the Union is cutting into their market.But hey, there was a need and the Union filled it.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Give it a rest. You wouldn't have even the sorry two weeks vacation and crappy health care plan you get if it had not been for labor unions.
Actually....my health insurance plan is better than most people's...I am a public school teacher. Secondly, parents demand that time off for the holidays. If we cut into that time the public howls.

So although your 2 points are invalid, yes Unions have done some nice things in the past for the world...especially in the late 1800s. Today, some unions exploit the system and have become big and greedy themselves.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Your questions have been asked and answered. Also, I am sure that some Private Ins Cos do not like that the Union is cutting into their market.But hey, there was a need and the Union filled it.
You didn't answer the questions. You are an intellectual coward.

Wisconsin School Districts are Switching Health Care Providers/Plans to Create Savings in 2011 | MacIver Institute

We examined these trends in January in the study “Health Care Trends in Wisconsin’s School Districts: A Look at the Expanding Market of Teacher Health Insurance.” The report showed that shopping around for health care presented significant savings for the state’s local schools. As a result, many districts were switching away from their traditional WEA Trust coverage for lower-cost alternatives. As we reported months ago, on average, Wisconsin’s schools stood to save approximately $100 per staff member by shopping around for coverage just once every six years, according to statewide trends between 2004-2010. Statewide, that would produce $10 million annually if every school board changed their health care insurer at least once in a six year span.

This continuing reform reflects that shift. WEA Trust’s market share went from 78.87 percent of reported districts in 2004 to 59.95% in 2010. If all nine identified districts facing contract changes in 2011 switch as well, it would represent another three percent drop in enrollment for the insurer.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:26 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,000,570 times
Quote:
The Left will support the unions no matter what, no matter how corrupt, no matter how many jobs they kill, no matter how much they fleece from the taxpayer...for the simple reason those dues go to fund the democrat party.

The unions are finally realizing what a mistake it was to put all their eggs in a one party basket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections