Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 11:27 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,231 times

Advertisements

Paulites conveniently ignore that Paul never attacks Romney but will let loose like a rabid wolverine on Gingrich. Santorum is also running interference for Romney. Mitt is using the same plan John McCain used against him in 2008 when he had Mike Huckabee splitting conservative votes so he could squeak by. Ironic that Paul supporters are the most easily duped conspiracy theorists but they don't see the actual conspiracy going on in front of their eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 11:31 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Look, a Ron Paul speaking slot at the convention would not be enough for me to vote Romney - I would still write-in Ron Paul or abstain -, but a written and publicly stated guarantee of appointment to Treasury Secretary or Fed Chairman would; I would even walk across hot coals to get to the polling station.

Sounds too good to be true, but who knows in politics, maybe the message is getting through to the brass (doesn't hurt to try) of which Mr Romney is one.

All the best!

You have to remember that Mitch McConnel is from KY and he has taken Rand under his wing so to speak, which is odd to an extent. Rand has a different view of getting his father's ideas implemented than Ron has had in the past. I think it has paved the way for Ron and his ideology, at least in the area of the fed and monetary policy, to be included.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:34 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Paulites conveniently ignore that Paul never attacks Romney but will let loose like a rabid wolverine on Gingrich. Santorum is also running interference for Romney. Mitt is using the same plan John McCain used against him in 2008 when he had Mike Huckabee splitting conservative votes so he could squeak by. Ironic that Paul supporters are the most easily duped conspiracy theorists but they don't see the actual conspiracy going on in front of their eyes.

Except that McCain and Huckabee did it so in your face, it was obnoxious and this is far more subtle. Also, I don't really know how many of Paul's supporters would vote for any of the other candidates, so it is really best for him to stay in and collect delegates.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:37 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Casper, please, enough with the childish ideology stuff, we are talking about politics among men, just follow the cash flow.

Thanks.
Some politicians still believe in their ideology, I will give Paul credit for that. I may disagree with some of his ideas but I am willing to give him credit for sticking by them. Romney, on the other hand, has no ideology.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
I don't believe in conspiracies. I believe in strategic alliances that are sometimes kept under wraps, for strategic purposes. That seems to be what Paul is up to with Romney.
If it were true Paul would lose every last supporter he has in the blink of an eye, count on that, and no one wants to be in the shoes of a person that betrays their devoted followers, they would come after him with hate no one would want to see. As I said I do not believe this idea for one second, I give Paul more credit than that and that comes from the person that has gone toe to toe with his posters as much as, if not more than, anyone else on this board. Giving credit where credit is due is just being honest. Wow, never thought I would be put in the position to actually defend Ron Paul, discussion boards are strange places indeed, must be time for a break from this.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:51 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Some politicians still believe in their ideology, I will give Paul credit for that. I may disagree with some of his ideas but I am willing to give him credit for sticking by them. Romney, on the other hand, has no ideology.
And that is exactly why they would be compatible partners, giving monetary policy reform some inkling of actually being implemented. Isn't that what you have been asking of Ron Paul supporters, how to actual implement policy goals?

You are an intelligent guy, please don't straight-jacket yourself in two-dimensional thinking.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:54 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Maybe Ron Paul will ask Romney to be his VP.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:57 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,812,365 times
Quote:
If it were true Paul would lose every last supporter he has in the blink of an eye, count on that, and no one wants to be in the shoes of a person that betrays their devoted followers, they would come after him with hate no one would want to see. As I said I do not believe this idea for one second, I give Paul more credit than that and that comes from the person that has gone toe to toe with his posters as much as, if not more than, anyone else on this board. Giving credit where credit is due is just being honest. Wow, never thought I would be put in the position to actually defend Ron Paul, discussion boards are strange places indeed, must be time for a break from this.
I am not worried about Paul "selling out". If he wanted to, he could have, in several occasions in the past 30 years, slightly diluted his principles, but which would have gained him a lot of mainstream support. But he doesn't. Love him or hate him, that's what he is. He won't sell out to Romney. If Romney apes Paul's positions (we call it "Ron Pauling" in the social media circles), that's another thing altogether.

Read this when you get a chance. It's a 10 year old article about Paul.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
I am not worried about Paul "selling out". If he wanted to, he could have, in several occasions in the past 30 years, slightly diluted his principles, but which would have gained him a lot of mainstream support. But he doesn't. Love him or hate him, that's what he is. He won't sell out to Romney. If Romney apes Paul's positions (we call it "Ron Pauling" in the social media circles), that's another thing altogether.

Read this when you get a chance. It's a 10 year old article about Paul.
I never believed he would sell out and do not believe it now. Funny thing is that I, of all people, had to step in and say it was not true, really strange place this board is becoming, as I said earlier, time for a break from this crazy stuff.

Read the article, people ignored him then and continue to do so today. As you may have figured out by now, I think it is too late to change course enough to avoid what will come, maybe it would be best to get it over with, like riping off a bandage, it will hurt (a lot) and many will not make it but in the end ..........well, that is another topic for another day.

Good Luck

Old 02-02-2012, 01:24 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,688 times
Quote:
I never believed he would sell out and do not believe it now. Funny thing is that I, of all people, had to step in and say it was not true, really strange place this board is becoming, as I said earlier, time for a break from this crazy stuff.

Read the article, people ignored him then and continue to do so today. As you may have figured out by now, I think it is too late to change course enough to avoid what will come, maybe it would be best to get it over with, like riping off a bandage, it will hurt (a lot) and many will not make it but in the end ..........well, that is another topic for another day.

Good Luck
From the WAPO article, I take it Paul's followers are intent on going the same route the Evangelicals took in the 60's and 70's, infiltrating the GOP at the grass-routes level, then supporting each other, stealthily when necessary, as they work their way up through the party ranks. That's the meaning of the "hide your tats and cut your hair" directive.

So, for now, that may mean they have to hob-nob with people with whom they are not ideologically sympatico (such as Romney), in order to stay close to the center of power, and lay the foundation for the future.

Nothing wrong with that plan. It's smart politics. I wish Dems were that smart. Ever since we purged the commies out in the 50's, we haven't been able to strategize worth a damn. The reds had all the organizing skills!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections