Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2012, 02:01 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

DETROIT (AP) — Four days before critical primary elections, Republican presidential contender Mitt Romney outlined a far-reaching plan Friday to gradually delay Americans' eligibility for Medicare as well as Social Security.
Romney said the shift, as people live longer, is needed to steer the giant benefit programs toward economic sustainability.

Romney would raise eligibility age for Medicare - Yahoo! News
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 03:23 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
DETROIT (AP) — Four days before critical primary elections, Republican presidential contender Mitt Romney outlined a far-reaching plan Friday to gradually delay Americans' eligibility for Medicare as well as Social Security.
Romney said the shift, as people live longer, is needed to steer the giant benefit programs toward economic sustainability.

Romney would raise eligibility age for Medicare - Yahoo! News
The candidate of ANY party that promises to return ALL of the $$ that my employers and I contributed is the one that would get my vote for life. Social Security is a Ponzi scheme devised to steal $$ from ppl like me and give to others, some of who are undeserving, never contributed or worst of all, not even citizens of this country.
I wish that a politician would be brave enough to make today's senior citizens wait longer than those way out in the future. My opinion though is that if our country can afford to have military bases in so many countries of the world, then certainly it could find a way to give everyone the SS/Medicare benefits that we are entitiled to.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:33 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,171 times
To be fair the Democrats are looking to raise the age too. Which is a big red flag that it's a dumb idea.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:57 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Here's a quick description of Romney's plan.

Mitt Romney’s budget in less than 150 words - The Washington Post

Before you get all happy that it would all be paid for by the poor, keep in mind, to Romney, ALL of you are poor.

Last edited by florida.bob; 02-25-2012 at 04:06 PM..

Old 02-26-2012, 01:51 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
I really think this is going to happen regardless of who is Pres, just like SS has to be re-vamped. JWhat is so hard for people to understand about these programs? They were never meant to be used for 20 or 30 years....Do most people realize how many people at 65, 70 and even 75 are still working?

Old 02-26-2012, 02:09 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,643 times
Very odd choice to bring this up right now. It's a hot potato issue and while I see his point I'm not sure who he's trying to score points with. This statement will hurt him in the general election.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
This plan is not likely to save much money. As "everyone" knows, most Medicare money is spent in the last months of a person's life. The youngest retirees are the healthiest.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:38 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This plan is not likely to save much money. As "everyone" knows, most Medicare money is spent in the last months of a person's life. The youngest retirees are the healthiest.
Great point.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:47 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm not so sure about that. If the person is a Medicare Advantage mb, the insur co is paid a monthly capitation (at least $1,100/mo) for even the healthiest members. Medicare has let too many ppl get on the program. Married spouses who never put one cent into the system, ppl with questionable disabilities, immigrants who worked in this country for the MINIMUM amount of years (40 quarters, sometimes less) to qualify instead of 30-50 years like most working americans. Medicare should start with the immigrants and require that they work MORE years than what they currently do in order to qualify for social Security/Medicare/SSI benefits. there is no reason why an immigrant should receive so many benefits that a native born american can't qualify for.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I'm not so sure about that. If the person is a Medicare Advantage mb, the insur co is paid a monthly capitation (at least $1,100/mo) for even the healthiest members. Medicare has let too many ppl get on the program. Married spouses who never put one cent into the system, ppl with questionable disabilities, immigrants who worked in this country for the MINIMUM amount of years (40 quarters, sometimes less) to qualify instead of 30-50 years like most working americans. Medicare should start with the immigrants and require that they work MORE years than what they currently do in order to qualify for social Security/Medicare/SSI benefits. there is no reason why an immigrant should receive so many benefits that a native born american can't qualify for.
Medicare Advantage is a rip.

The married spouse thing is a holdover from the days when most women didn't work outside the home. Certainly among the Baby Boomers starting to retire now, that is not much of an issue. In fact, I have worked with Medicare patients and most women even now are on their own ins. 40 quarters is 10 years.

My DH did not start contributing to Medicare/SS until age 31 (almost 32) b/c prior to that he worked for the University of Illinois which had their own retirement system. Many women have rather interrupted careers, with raising families. I think 40 quarters is fair.

The fact remains, Medicare does not pay out a lot in benefits to the youngest recipients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections