Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:42 PM

37,956 posts, read 17,896,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Might I make a far out suggestion. If people don't want FEMA assistance, turn it down. Elect governors who won't request federal disaster assistance. And if you can't do that, say no when the federal government offers you food/water/shelter/clothing/cleaning supplies.

It's a bit telling that people keep harping on Katrina. Yeah, that's what happens when you hand government over to people who appoint unqualified cronies. Compare that to now, where the director has decades of experience.

As for looting, Katrina was a whole different scale of disaster (and subsequent government failure). Of course, there was, in fact, looting in Joplin, as anyone with two seconds and a search engine can find out.
The problem with turning it down is that state paid into the fund. Its their money. They know how to spend it best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
If you back Paul the you beieve in his vision of how the country should be run and you prove that with your statements above. What you seem to forget is we do have local and state government to deal with the issues that pertain to the local and state level and we have a federal government that deals with issues that affect the vast majority of Americans, meaning it is not simply a local level issue.
LMAO New Orleans and the other areas that FEMA oversees were fairly localized. How does the disaster in New Orleans affect Oregon? Do you even think before you post your drivel?

Quote:
Why you would think that the State can do any better on some issues is a bit strange since I have seen both local and state governments that would scare the heck out of most rational thinking people.
Because they have knowledge of the area. How hard is that to figure out? duhhh

Quote:
My suspicion is that some feel that they would have a better chance of getting extremist ideas passed into law that would otherwise been stopped at the Federal level.
Put on the tin foil hat. The same one that says big government is working.

Quote:
I would remind you that WE send those people to Washington to represent us there, if you do not like the job they are doing vote them out and put someone in office that holds to your ideas,
LMAO I would remind you that YOU do not vote for any other state but your own. YOU do not vote for the FEMA officials. Get a clue.

Quote:
the catch is that if the majority of your fellow citizens disagree with your ideas then you will have to learn to live with that or find someplace else to live that does fit those ideas.
The catch is we were not founded by the one size fits all theory where an oligarchy in Washington decides for the rest of the nation. We fought a revolution over that. A loose confederation of states, united states small u.

Quote:
Many of Pauls ideas would simple never come to pass, they would shakeup the government and that same government is not going to allow it and you know it.
People like YOU need to change your vote and quit electing horrible candidates with failed policies. Most politicians have no backbone. If their constituents want something and they don't deliver they are out.

Quote:
So when you and others say that Paul is the only answer, you are (in my opinion) fooling yourselves,.
When people like you are voting for big government which continues to fail and hope things change you are only fooling yourself

Quote:
since we all know
Even if you had the knowledge, you don't speak for others and you do not have the ability to think for others as much as you would like too. Control freak mindset.

Quote:
he would never be able to accomplish much of what he would want to do, it would take an actual Revolution to do that and we know that will not happen.
That is because you are not informed and dont understand how things work so you sell out to big government. But that is to be expected by those who love big government to raise them from cradle to grave and don't believe in personal responsibility and they are unwilling to do the hard work associated with it like a man would.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:05 PM

665 posts, read 1,244,501 times
There was looting in New orleans but I watched a media bias documentary that said
that the rapes in the super dome and murders did not really happen. They also showed a difference in newspaper covered white people looting and white people looting. White looters were described as finding or discovering items and Black people were described as looters.

plus to compare that to a small town in joplin is a little unfair what happened in joplin
was not even close to katrina.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Well, it seems that most of the upper Gulf coast had a little more than they could handle with Katrina...
What is your facts or reasons behind this?

Quote:
Outside of the immediate responders, most of the 9/11 disaster response was funded federally.
True but isn't an attack on our country a federal cause?

Quote:
If people "gave at the office," you would wind up about 90% short every time.
You missed the point. People are forced to give at the office there fore they feel they don't need to give more.
Do you have any facts or reasons why you think this? It is not a coincidence that charitable causes have dried up since taxation and the value of the dollar being destroyed by the federal Reserves out of control inflation has gotten heavier. Common sense tells us the less we have the less we donate.

Quote:
Using your provided data (for TX, in billions):

Paid Received
2003: $122.6 $140.5
2004: $127.5 $141.9
2005: $146.9 $148.7
Look again. You didn't read the fine print under the numbers that explains the chart or bother to look at the ACTUAL dollar received vs dollar spent on the far right. My statement is true, Texans received less than $1 for every $1 spent for those years.

Quote:
The other problem is that these stats don't include military payroll which is probably about another $3 billion. So not only do your own provided stats prove you wrong, you're on the hook for another $3 Billion.
I have no idea while military isn't included.
But the problem with your misguided statement is not only did you look at the wrong figures earlier to get from point A to point B you didn't calculate how much of a difference the military money changes things. Adding around 1.5 percent to received ( 3 on top of 148) will not move the .94 received per tax dollar spent above the 1 dollar mark. You can't just say it's more now.

Quote:
The proof that Ron Paul's policies don't work can be found between the years of about 1850 and 1933. Do we really need to have company stores, bankers lending out gold they don't have, and kids chained to machines again to relearn those lessons?

Next please, indeed...
lol Kids chained to machines what does that statement mean? Please don't tell me it was government that got kids out of the child labor business.
You started with 1850 beautiful simply beautiful. How about we start with the years I choose. Not that your simplistic statement said anything of substance.
Guess when our debt was low? During the time when Jackson got rid of the national bank, the precursor to the federal reserve. The Federal Reserve is our biggest problem in dealing with the economy since they have been the cause of EVERY boom and bust cycle since they were created. You do remember the dot com and housing bubble don't you? Even though Congress screwed up the free market by lowering lending standards none of this would have happened IF the Federal Reserve didn't lower the interest rate artificially below the market value which caused massive mal investment.
The same thing happened that caused the 1873 economic problems. The House of Cook, out of control lending. None of this is very hard although some try to make it out to be complicated as they try to explain which band aids to use on the symptoms instead of dealing with the cause.

I guess cutting government spending and taxes which is also big cause of Ron Pauls doesn't work either? So even though that happened during the mini depression of the early 1920's and it worked that doesn't matter??? I guess you haven't heard much on that depression since it lasted only two years. We cut spending and taxes by 40 percent over two years time and we saw unemployment drop from 12 to 3 but that doesn't mean much??? Or immediately after WW2 when we cut taxes and spending by a large amount we saw people employed again. Unlike what happened immediately after WW1.
Or during the great depression when FDR took money away from the efficient and job creating private sector by increased government spending and taking companies profits which prolonged the horrible conditions until AFTER the war ended.

Not even a good try, Next please indeed.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
There was looting in New orleans but I watched a media bias documentary that said
that the rapes in the super dome and murders did not really happen. They also showed a difference in newspaper covered white people looting and white people looting. White looters were described as finding or discovering items and Black people were described as looters.
Agreed it was pathetic how they treated non whites.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Really? Which part of the constitution says the fed govt cannot provide disaster relief?
lol It's called enumerated duties. Read the constitution please them comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
You are comfortable with Ron Paul pork spending fed money on park benches and decorative street lights in Galveston but object to fed money going towards people who's homes, infrastructure, and businesses have been wiped out.
First off you're very bad at comprehending this. He doesn't object to the Feds giving people money. He objects to the Fed taking it in the first place. To say otherwise is absurd yet not surprising.
The difference is his constituents own money is going back to them and not to others. Anyone who doesn't want earmarks that bring back their own money to their own area is usually a fool or someone with a blinded agenda.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:25 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,928,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
And people wonder why libertarians are seen as callous toward their felllow man--it's because they mostly are!
have you ever been in a disaster where FEMA interceded, because i have.

what this country needs to do is get people interested in caring about each other and helping each other, not waiting for the government to come in and do its usual ineffective job with our money. even our local response workers were ineffective the day BEFORE the hurricanes, when i called them and they said that they were "hunkered down" and couldn't leave.

after a disaster, everybody should be pitching in and saying "what can I do to help?" how great would that be?

we are going in the wrong direction as a country-turning into a nanny state-waiting for our government handouts, and AT THE MERCY OF our government. this whole attitude breeds helplessness, which we need to get away from.

if people all pitched in and PERSONALLY helped disaster victims this country would be so much better off. we would have a sense of unity as a country, concern for our fellow citizens would rise, people would start perceiving things differently, and stuff would actually get done in an efficient manner.

that is what it all is about-helping each other-not sitting around and waiting for the government to decide who gets help, and how much.

as a conservative, i quote john kennedy who said it best, "ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country". (and also your fellow citizens).

Last edited by floridasandy; 03-06-2012 at 01:38 AM..

Old 03-06-2012, 06:18 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,208,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Private property and federal property. Big difference.

Responsibility, lies in the owner.
Which is federal property? The decorative street lights and park benches of Galveston that Paul is grabbing pork fed dollars to pay for? The new trash receptacles he ran earmarks for? I doubt it.

Fact is he takes millions and millions of fed dollars for wasteful projects then talks out the other side of his mouth about fed dollars shouldn't go to help victims of natural disaster in this country.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:06 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,959,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Nah, that would be a pure democracy that you describe there. In a constitutional democracy, the popular vote is kept in check a bit.
Untrue, in a pure democracy, which cannot work in todays world, we would be voting on everything under the sun and that is not how it works here. In this Republic, a form of democratic government, we vote for Representaives from among us to speak for us on the issues, if we disagree with the job they are doing we have the right to vote them out and replace them wih someone that will represent us as we see fit. If the majority of voters want one person and you or I want different person to represent us then we are stuck with the will of the majority. See how easy that is, guess what, for the most part it works.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:14 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,092,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, stood by his libertarian beliefs on Sunday, saying that victims of the violent storms and tornadoes that have battered a band of states in the South and Midwest in recent days should not be given emergency financial aid from the federal government.

"There is no such thing as federal money," Paul said, on CNN’s State of the Union. "Federal money is just what they steal from the states and steal from you and me."

Ron Paul: No Federal Financial Aid for Tornado Victims - Yahoo! News
OOOOOKAY...that changes my mind on Paul...That statement alone just gave Obama one vote...I'll hold my nose,gag and pull the Dem ticket.

They just buried 6 people this week due to a tornado a few miles from me,F*&% Paul and his love of insurance companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections