Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 12:59 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
There may be some truth to that, but even so, I'm interested in who will allow myself, as well as anyone else with the motiviation and spirit to succeed, the best chance at reaching those goals.

If you don't have goals, motivation, no real desire to achieve any form success in life beyond what the government will allow you to have, then Obama is definitely your guy.
I understand what you are saying but your anger is misdirected. The current crop of republicans have a debt to be paid later and not to you. You are a perfect example of how the system should work, but instead it seems to me that you do not want the help to get on your feet. The way that the current crop of GOP candidates are acting, once you have fallen from financial grace... too bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 01:01 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
....I am not the least bit thrilled in any of our candidate choices for President. I was a strong supporter of Herman Cain, but we all know the end to that story.

However, I will vote for whomever runs against Obama for one single, solitary reason, which is the capital gains tax...
What was the point of this thread, again? To re-affirm the faith in GOP establishment?

Old 03-13-2012, 03:14 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
You're a Paulbot, I get it. And don't get me wrong, Ron Paul has very great ideas, and I agree 110% that spending needs to be cut drastically. But to avoid the reality that Ron Paul has no chance of winning a Presidential election makes you appear as brain washed as the Obama supporters.
I'm not brainwashed I'm principled.
Why vote for Newt, or Romney, or Santorum? They're all big government politicians just like Obama. They love meddling in the Middle East just like Obama. They love meddling in the free market and believe in bailouts just like Obama. They never saw the Housing crash coming, just like Obama.
The choice for me is easy. Principle over party.

Quote:
I don't think about just the here and now, and what is in it for me. I think about what lies ahead for my kids and who can best take the country in that direction. Paul loses me with his wacked out foreign policy that would knock the US into becoming basically a third world country. Outside of that, he's got the best ideas of any of the candidates.
Continuing with 60 years of a foreign OIL policy of illegal occupation and invasion when no country has attacked us and makes us less safe is wacky? They regional fighting started before we were founded and not once were we attacked until we went over there.
The CIA Report by the Bin Laden unit told us the exact reason why they came after us. Undying support of Israels aggression, occupying their Holy lands and the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people. We would do the same thing if a nation in the Middle East invaded us yet we should expect them to roll over. I wonder why we don't invade nations with nukes?
Israel can take care of themselves. They'll be the ones that start a war if they go Iran.

What about Ron Pauls foreign policy that would make us into a 3rd world nation?

Old 03-13-2012, 06:56 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I do pay my share...and then some. And its that "and then some" part that I find repulsive. I find it horrifying that the government NEEDS about 30% of MY income (yes it is ALL mine because I work for it every day) to run a DEFICIT. Once they start spending it responsibly then I wont mind so much. The money ALWAYS belongs to you since you worked to earn it, and instead of just handing it over because you feel obligated, we should be doing a heck of a lot more to make sure it is being used responsibly, instead of being used as a carrot to waive over the heads of potential voters to try and sway their opinions.

I have no problem with holding government accountable for spending money irresponsibly. Any budget cut has to start with the $700 billion military spending. But the problem is that a lot of the Republican base has small penis syndrome and so any defense spending cut is a non-starter.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:00 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,335,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
That's because Obama gives tax cut to the middle class.

Bush's tax cut mostly goes to the rich.

Completely untrue. Business creation does not depend on tax break. My former company (a Fortune 500 company) got a $100 million tax break under Bush and then proceed to eliminate hundreds of employees.
I guess they fired you. and that's why you are bitter. They probably just got rid of the dead wood.

Just wait to see what happens to the stock market if Obama's capital gains an dividend tax increases go into effect,ie, he wins the election. Let's see how many new IPO's there will be!

Old 03-13-2012, 07:06 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times
Quote:

Yes, everyone should pay taxes. Under the current system we have, over half the population does not pay any income taxes at all. Explain to me, anyone, where the fairness is in that? Then explain to me how a system of this nature can even continue to exist?

The reason half of the population does not pay taxes:

24% of the population is younger than 18.
13% of the population is retired.
8% of the population is unemployed.
6% of the population is in college.

That's 51% of the population either not working or working very minimally.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:01 PM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Stock Dividends is smart investing for middle class people like me. JFK and Bill Clinton lowered taxes on dividends to help investment.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:04 PM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
The reason half of the population does not pay taxes:

24% of the population is younger than 18.
13% of the population is retired.
8% of the population is unemployed.
6% of the population is in college.

That's 51% of the population either not working or working very minimally.

It is 45% of US Households do not pay federal income taxes and most of those made a profit.

My sister in law made around $55K as a household and paid nothing in federal income taxes.

This number has been around 45-49% in recent years...it is up from 31-36% in previous years.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:51 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Quote:
....I am not the least bit thrilled in any of our candidate choices for President. I was a strong supporter of Herman Cain, but we all know the end to that story.

However, I will vote for whomever runs against Obama for one single, solitary reason, which is the capital gains tax. If Obama is re-elected and the capital gains tax is raised from 15% to the top percentage bracket, it will simply crush our economy further.

Capital gains from stock dividends are the only income I have had for the past 4 years while trying to turn my construction company around. If the capital gains tax is raised, not only it will make it very diificult to support my family, but using those gains to keep my business open and keep people working will be impossible.

Many of you probably don't understand it, but an increase to the capital gains tax will deter investment in business, and will be a major setback to business owners everywhere who are the backbone of the economy. It will cost so many jobs it will most likely lead to a severe recession. Even if you are an Obama supporter, I urge you to study up on the capital gains tax, and at least voice your opposition to raising the capital gains tax to your Democratic Senators and Representatives. That's all I am asking.
Sorry, but this short-sighted analysis of why you support candidates who favor the promotion of bigotry, outsourcing, protecting the rich at the expense of everyone else, the perpetuation of war around the globe, racial insensitivity, ineffectiveness in all matters foreign and domestic, renders your vote for anyone but Obama, A REASON TO VOTE FOR OBAMA. Focusing on yet another tax is so damn tired.

President Obama is headed for a second term...and don't you forget it either.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:25 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,705 times
Quote:
No, it's not a "load of BS" at all. During the Clinton years, income levels were higher as a percentage of expenses, unemployment was far lower, and people weren't hanging on by a thread like they are today. Many, many business owners like myself are doing just that, hanging by a thread and they are doing so with the capital gains from their investments they made when times were better.
You seem pretty typical of tea party people I talk with or see posting. Largely they want to blame someone for their own shortcomings instead blaming themselves. It's not the government's fault that your business isn't successful.

It's not the government's fault that the only thing you can do is construction. Did you go to college and get an engineering degree? Why are are you working in construction and not something else?

None of this is anyone else's fault and it's not the government's fault. Even Ronald Reagan wasn't a fan of low capital gains. Take some personal responsibility.

There are plenty of businesses out there doing rather well. That you're not one of them is not the government's fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections