Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has the GOP gone too far to the right of what real conservatism is?
Big time 72 70.59%
Somewhat 6 5.88%
Neutral/they are the same 6 5.88%
No, they are too far left 18 17.65%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 03:18 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,574,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
That's the point, the GOP are not too far left, they are to the extreme right with their insane spending, warmongering, and huge government (same goes for Obama) which Paul was stating.
Well the difference is that we already knew Obama was going to spend so that shouldn't have been a big shocker!
The GOP spends on "their "issues" ( wars and such) while the Dems spend it on their "social causes".
If you are going to take my tax money I will go with them Dems! I love how every Republican promises to "cut" taxes and save your money!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 03:18 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,350,659 times
Quote:
This is a good segment from Paul that states the GOP are likely going to lose again in the 2012 presidential run with a big part of it from their support of more warmongering, which leads to more spending, the support of big government legislation like the patriot act, and other fundamentals that are not conservative at all, rather far right extremism. Now the question, have conservatives/GOP gone off the deep end and are no longer their former self because of the hard right wingnuts?

Ron Paul: GOP going to be the John McCain party in 2012 | The Raw Story
I wonder who is going to the primaries......supporters of old fashioned republican principles, the fiscal conservatives or the social extremists?

2012 GOP Primary Turnout Lower Than 2008, 2000
2012 GOP Primary Turnout Lower Than 2008, 2000 | Bipartisan Policy Center

Old 03-14-2012, 03:40 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,499,666 times
Quote:
have conservatives/GOP gone off the deep end and are no longer their former self because of the hard right wingnuts?
Yes. And I include Rep. Paul in the characterization of "wingnuts."

Old 03-14-2012, 04:37 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,821,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
I wonder who is going to the primaries......supporters of old fashioned republican principles, the fiscal conservatives or the social extremists?

2012 GOP Primary Turnout Lower Than 2008, 2000
2012 GOP Primary Turnout Lower Than 2008, 2000 | Bipartisan Policy Center
I think your link confirms the results on this threads poll that the GOP voters and independents have had it with the GOP of today.
Perhaps there will be some "cleansing" of the right once they lose again in 2012 by the right to return to their true conservative roots, but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:43 PM

24,512 posts, read 33,334,972 times
Quote:
That's the point, the GOP are not too far left, they are to the extreme right with their insane spending, warmongering, and huge government (same goes for Obama) which Paul was stating.
Insane spending and huge government is a trait of liberals/Democrats, not the GOP. Funny you should mention "insane spending" when the spending has increased more under the current president (a Democrat) than with the last president (a Republican).

As for warmongering, Democrats have started just as many, if not more, wars than Republicans have.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:53 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,821,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Insane spending and huge government is a trait of liberals/Democrats, not the GOP.
Then why has every GOP admin in the past 30+ years added up to nothing but huge spending and huge government?

Old 03-14-2012, 07:03 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,813,448 times
Quote:
This is a good segment from Paul that states the GOP are likely going to lose again in the 2012 presidential run with a big part of it from their support of more warmongering, which leads to more spending, the support of big government legislation like the patriot act, and other fundamentals that are not conservative at all, rather far right extremism. Now the question, have conservatives/GOP gone off the deep end and are no longer their former self because of the hard right wingnuts?

Paul is right, but he will lose a few neocon votes over saying this. But that's alright.

Your poll is a difficult one, and I think, oversimplified. I could/did not vote.

Socially, definitely the GOP has moved way far to the right. Is this the farthest they can go? Probably not. I can think of crazier ideas they can promulgate, and it's not definitely not beyond the realm of possibility in Santorum's la-la land.

Fiscally, GOP has always claimed that they are to the right, but they never was, at least for several decades. And they won't be, even this time around. The hard evidence for that is right before our eyes - Romney, Santorum and Newt do not plan to cut anything. Even if they had claimed they would, as long as they promote perpetual warfare, cuts are not going to happen, because war provides the biggest excuse for the expansion of the government, in the name of the very vague and broad umbrella term "national security".

The reason the GOP rank-and-file has moved themselves to the right more so than they would normally have, is because Obama and most of the current Democratic party is center-right themselves in foreign policy and civil liberties, and this is GOP's way of painting a stark contrast between them and Obama.

As much as I dislike and disagree with Obama's policies, McCain would have been worse. And Santorum would be far, far worse. Paul would be perfect, but he scares the hell out of the average GOP because he would force them to do what they had always claimed they would do - be fiscally conservative. Notwithstanding all the rhetoric, it's mathematically impossible for the GOP to bring about fiscal conservatism, if they also want to enact every pet big government idea of theirs (War on Drugs, War on Terror, Patriot Act, NDAA, contraception ban...the list is endless.)

Fiscally, both party leaderships have always been to the left and will be. That's because they are in this together. (2 faces of the same monster.) The lack of a free market and the presence of central economic planners ensure that wealth is always transferred from the middle class to the rich, and when it comes to this fundamental bane of our existence, there is no right or left. There is just big government and We The People.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:44 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,221,340 times
Quote:
Over-spending is NOT right, but rather left.

Warmongering isn't a traditional conservative message. It's a message of Neocons (former Democrats) doing their bidding for Israel.

Huge government is left, not right.

The Republican Party isn't very conservative. It's too far to the left.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:47 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:

I see your friends are all responding to this poll. Social issures the main steam GOP are anything but to the right: fisaclly they are right and hopefully they will continue to move even further to the right.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:36 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Insane spending and huge government is a trait of liberals/Democrats, not the GOP. Funny you should mention "insane spending" when the spending has increased more under the current president (a Democrat) than with the last president (a Republican).

As for warmongering, Democrats have started just as many, if not more, wars than Republicans have.
Actual federal spending:

CBO | Historical Budget Data

Federal discretionary spending, including defense.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to try to pin Bush's last year on Obama, and his previous seven on Clinton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections