Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 12:24 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,893,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
It's not even that; it's playing the indignant faux-outrage game of "how dare you say working moms don't have it hard! " in order to try and minimize the gender gap.
Thank you for saying this. This is exactly the point. Republicans immediately jumped from the point that Anne Romney never had to face the financial hardships that most Moms--stay at home or otherwise--do on a daily basis, right to the falsehood that Democrats were attacking stay at home moms. Nothing could be further from the truth--this was all about Anne Romney's privileged life rendering her unable to relate to the challenges that ordinary American women face. They successfully diverted the conversation, which seems to be a favorite tactic of the right. Fox excels at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 12:25 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,744,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Regardless of political persuasion you gotta admit it's fun watching rich people bend over backwards pretending they're just like us commoners.
Yeah, it is.
Seriously, whatever happened to "I'm rich and I'm proud?"

One of the reasons that I still admire George H. W. Bush was his campaign trip to a supermarket where he marvelled at the check-out scanners, because, of course, he had never seen anything of the sort before. And why would he have?
He didn't pretend to know what goes on in a then-modern supermarket and yet, he and his wife never came across to me as being out-of-touch to the same extent as the Romneys.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:26 PM

14,488 posts, read 11,310,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
No big surprise there.

However many she had, it looks like they didn't pay them very well, or perhaps, they too have off-shore accounts.

Mitt Romney's Maids' Salary Raises Questions
Try thinking a little more critically TigerLily.

People who clean houses usually come twice a month for a couple of hours. Depending on the size of the house it can cost anywhere from 150-300 dollars every other week.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Personally, it doesn't bother me that she is rich, or had help being a stay at home mom. The issue was that Mitt Romney was claiming his wife Ann was his source and advisor on what American women want and are concerned about. She is simply not qualified to inform the presidential nominee what American women want and are concerned with when all she has to draw from is her rather unique experience as a rich stay at home mom and wife.

It is insulting to negate other women's real concerns with equal pay for equal work, with state legislatures passing laws that require women to undergo unnecessary intrusive medical procedures, with hospital employers who want to deny women birth control coverage, etc, etc. Ann Romney just doesn't speak for all women and is not qualified to be Mitt's advisor on women's issues.
Agreed and very well-said.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Try thinking a little more critically TigerLily.

People who clean houses usually come twice a month for a couple of hours. Depending on the size of the house it can cost anywhere from 150-300 dollars every other week.

I didn't post this as commentary on how much they were paid per se, but, to illustrate that despite allusions to the contrary, the Romneys clearly had household help.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:35 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,189,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Ann Romney says she can relate to juggling act of motherhood - NewsTimes

In the middle of a speech before voters in Connetticut, in which she described how hard it was raising five boys while being married to a governor's son, Ann slipped in a casual reference to not "needing help" until after the birth of her youngest. Which is kind of a backwards way of admitting she had at least one paid maid and/or nanny, right?

It stands to reason that, Mormon or not, an upper-class family like the Romney's would have a household staff, but has anyone seen Ann or Mitt admit this before? Is Ann inoculating the campaign against revelations to come? She doesn't say just how much help she needed, or got, running the household.

I wonder how big her staff was, anyway? Guess we'll find out.

Kind of blows the image she was trying to project, of being a sort of June Cleaver, but with three more kids.

How does the Romney campaign expect US women to relate to Ann Romney?How many women in the country could AFFORD to stay home with five kids, even if they wanted to???

Even though this is stupid as can be and doesn't even deserve a response, I will tell you that Ann Romney never had a nanny, never had a mother's helper or a cook. They did have someone who came in to clean each week and a service that did the yard.

Most everyone I know in middle class America has that much help. Those I know who are fairly wealthy, but not nearly anywhere as wealthy as the Romney's, has much more help than that.

I would say they lived a very unusual life for people who have the means they do. Ann Romney still cooks for her family when they are at home and not living out of hotels. All of her daughter in laws also cook and take care of their own children also. They live a very family oriented life.

Stop trying to distort the truth of the situation!

Old 04-24-2012, 12:46 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,189,274 times
This is what Ben Romney had to say on the issue and he was actually there so I think he would know:

Quote:
A lot of people have been weighing in on my Mom lately, so I thought I would add my own two cents...I have one daughter, a 3 year old girl, and I feel overwhelmed most of the time my wife and I are raising her. Growing up, we never had a nanny or a "mommy's helper." Never went to daycare. When I left for school in the morning (after she had made me breakfast), she was there. When I came home at th...e end of the day, she was there. She drove me to HOURS of my sports lessons and competitions (baseball, tennis, basketball, etc), and was my #1 fan in the stands. She encouraged my musical interests, and cheered me on at my piano recitals and high school band concerts. I could go on and on. I was just one out of five, but always felt like I was the most important thing in her life. For my Mom to raise us 5 boys, the way she did, was, in my mind, the most demanding - and hopefully rewarding - work she could have done. Love you Mom, and thanks.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:46 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,273,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I will tell you that Ann Romney never had a nanny, never had a mother's helper or a cook. They did have someone who came in to clean each week and a service that did the yard.

Ann Romney still cooks for her family when they are at home and not living out of hotels. All of her daughter in laws also cook and take care of their own children also. They live a very family oriented life.
You're so gullible, it really is quite comical.

Can you please explain how you know all these intimate details of the Mittens' household(s)?

Seriously, have you been to their home(s)? Have you seen Mrs. Mittens slaving over a hot stove?

Have you seen her vacuuming the living room? Or doing laundry?

Hell, with all their multiple homes, I'll bet she's not even sure in which closet of each mansion the vacuum cleaners are even kept.

So funny.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:52 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,273,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
This is what Ben Romney had to say on the issue and he was actually there so I think he would know:
So, he paints a rosy picture of life in the Mittens house (which one?).

It's not like he doesn't have his own agenda and isn't part of the family business to get their dad elected.

After all, neither he nor any of his brothers could volunteer for military service because they serve their country by trying to get their dad elected (according to Mittens).

I don't believe anything that comes out of any of the mouths of that phony baloney family of trust fund babies.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:57 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,858,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Personally, it doesn't bother me that she is rich, or had help being a stay at home mom. The issue was that Mitt Romney was claiming his wife Ann was his source and advisor on what American women want and are concerned about. She is simply not qualified to inform the presidential nominee what American women want and are concerned with when all she has to draw from is her rather unique experience as a rich stay at home mom and wife.

It is insulting to negate other women's real concerns with equal pay for equal work, with state legislatures passing laws that require women to undergo unnecessary intrusive medical procedures, with hospital employers who want to deny women birth control coverage, etc, etc. Ann Romney just doesn't speak for all women and is not qualified to be Mitt's advisor on women's issues.
Absolutely!
I think one of the scariest things about the current Republican party is their absolute disconnect from everyday Americans.... great news for the wealthy but disastrous news for the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections