Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 09:17 PM

6,104 posts, read 6,000,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
A patriot will fight to defend his country and honor the Constitution not kill citizens or harm them with destructive policies. McCains actions are far from patriotic.

A patriot will fight to defend his nation like Lt Commander John McCain who spent years in the Hanoi Hilton actually did. He served his nation and risked his life was wounded, and was tortured by our foes. I think you owe him and millions of real patriots a sincere appology.

I don't think the Mittster has served this nation unless it has been to serve this nation up on a silver platter to the Chinese!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 10:10 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,275,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
A patriot will fight to defend his nation like Lt Commander John McCain who spent years in the Hanoi Hilton actually did. He served his nation and risked his life was wounded, and was tortured by our foes. I think you owe him and millions of real patriots a sincere appology.

I don't think the Mittster has served this nation unless it has been to serve this nation up on a silver platter to the Chinese!
Does a person putting their country first support wars that only result in all kinds of negative consequences for their country? Do they even entertain the thought of allowing millions upon millions of illegal invaders to stay in that country, many of whom have a historical grievance against the nation, believing parts of the nation are theirs that they will one day "take back?" We could also even look as his support for free trade and the NDAA!

Old 04-27-2012, 07:23 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,779,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Sorry, but you are wrong. He might have been a patriot when he was younger, but he has been a total sellout since then. Let us look at the definition of a patriot:

"A person who vigorously supports their country and is prepared to defend it against enemies or detractors."

Hmm, someone who is a paid off puppet who now supports open borders, arresting Americans and holding (and even killing) them indefinitely without trial, etc is NOT a patriot.

I must confess, I have always liked McCain because of his story, and because he showed some independence. Perhaps I am old fashioned, but I still believe that the President should think for him/herself and not be a complete party hack or someone who tries to be everthing to everyone (Romney), or who needs a Iago-like person whispering in his ear and fighting his battles for him (Bush/Rove). That is unpresidential.

But I think you could make a good argument that McCain used his "story" well past its expiration date, and youthful service does not guarantee patriotism for the rest of your life. I am really sad he was "Swiftboated" by Rove in 2000, but I must say he groveled before the GOP puppeteers and then ran an awful campaing in 2008. All this said, I still put him above Romney, who is strikes me as pure plastic. I will say this about Romney though. He has worked hard for this, and as charmless as he is, I do not see the Rove sleaze (yet), which is at least an improvement over the W era.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I must confess, I have always liked McCain because of his story, and because he showed some independence. Perhaps I am old fashioned, but I still believe that the President should think for him/herself and not be a complete party hack or someone who tries to be everthing to everyone (Romney), or who needs a Iago-like person whispering in his ear and fighting his battles for him (Bush/Rove). That is unpresidential.

But I think you could make a good argument that McCain used his "story" well past its expiration date, and youthful service does not guarantee patriotism for the rest of your life. I am really sad he was "Swiftboated" by Rove in 2000, but I must say he groveled before the GOP puppeteers and then ran an awful campaing in 2008. All this said, I still put him above Romney, who is strikes me as pure plastic. I will say this about Romney though. He has worked hard for this, and as charmless as he is, I do not see the Rove sleaze (yet), which is at least an improvement over the W era.
Fair enough. I personally despise both McCain and Romney equally and would never consider either a patriot. This is a good article I found on McCain:

"However much pity we might feel for a prisoner of war subjected to such intense pressures, the record is clear : McCain was no war hero. He was, rather, a coward, an incompetent, a collaborator and a traitor."

McCain's Military Record Shows He Is Unfit To Be President - For & Against

Old 04-27-2012, 10:14 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,693,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I didn't think much of McCain and I don't think much of Romney, but I voted for McCain and I will vote for Romney. Once again we have an election of the lesser of two evils.
Unforunately, me, too. I couldn't stand McCain since his goofy straight-talk-express when he ran against W. My dislike continued through 2008, but I voted against Obammy, anyway. I suppose I'll have to vote for Romney, even though I think he's disgusting. How sad is that?

Old 04-27-2012, 10:32 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,973,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Why can't the GOP put forward a true patriot, with character, like McCain or Petraeus, instead of a used car salesman like Romney? The dude just does not exude confidence and decisiveness.

Discuss.
Yes, because I'm sure you voted for McCain over Obama.

We Republicans don't need advice from far left liberals regarding our candidates. You'll never vote for a Republican under any circumstances, anyway, so why would you care who we nominate?

The only reason for your faux handwringing is to once again deflect from any discussion about Oblama's failed presidency.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Fair enough. I personally despise both McCain and Romney equally and would never consider either a patriot. This is a good article I found on McCain:

"However much pity we might feel for a prisoner of war subjected to such intense pressures, the record is clear : McCain was no war hero. He was, rather, a coward, an incompetent, a collaborator and a traitor."

McCain's Military Record Shows He Is Unfit To Be President - For & Against

This is the same kind of smear campaign used against a man who inspite of being an Ivy Leaguer took a Lt jg commission and sailed the murky waters of the Mekong Delta. He also risked his life was shot at and wounded too. John Kerry Kerry and John McCain may have not been great soldiers but they served and DESERVE respect buddy!

They deserve more respect than Marion Morisson who never got any closer to the Sands of Iwo Jima than a California back lot, He was a 4F you know. or Ronnie Reagan who beded with Bonzo while several hundred thousand American died in places most Americans can't even name anymore.Why didn't he do what Clark Gable, Jimmy Stewart or Glenn Miller did and serve their nation? The king of Swing even died for his nation.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
This is the same kind of smear campaign used against a man who inspite of being an Ivy Leaguer took a Lt jg commission and sailed the murky waters of the Mekong Delta. He also risked his life was shot at and wounded too. John Kerry Kerry and John McCain may have not been great soldiers but they served and DESERVE respect buddy!

They deserve more respect than Marion Morisson who never got any closer to the Sands of Iwo Jima than a California back lot, He was a 4F you know. or Ronnie Reagan who beded with Bonzo while several hundred thousand American died in places most Americans can't even name anymore.Why didn't he do what Clark Gable, Jimmy Stewart or Glenn Miller did and serve their nation? The king of Swing even died for his nation.
So what I am getting from you and a few others is that we should automatically respect people just because they served in the military? Really??? I am supposed to respect someone who was a member of Skull and Bones (Kerry). I am supposed to respect someone who drafted a law that I can now be arrested and detained indefinitely even know I broke no law? Hell, I guess I should respect this guy below considering he did serve.

"An American service member snapped in Afghanistan Sunday and went on a murder rampage, walking into civilian homes at 3 a.m. and shooting the occupants - mostly little kids - as they slept."

American kills 16 in Afghanistan - New York Daily News

Old 04-27-2012, 11:40 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,779,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Yes, because I'm sure you voted for McCain over Obama.

We Republicans don't need advice from far left liberals regarding our candidates. You'll never vote for a Republican under any circumstances, anyway, so why would you care who we nominate?

The only reason for your faux handwringing is to once again deflect from any discussion about Oblama's failed presidency.
I never had anything against McCain,except Palin.

And I am no far left liberal. I want decent people running for president ,in both parties. Not oily sleazeballs.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
So what I am getting from you and a few others is that we should automatically respect people just because they served in the military? Really??? I am supposed to respect someone who was a member of Skull and Bones (Kerry). I am supposed to respect someone who drafted a law that I can now be arrested and detained indefinitely even know I broke no law? Hell, I guess I should respect this guy below considering he did serve.

"An American service member snapped in Afghanistan Sunday and went on a murder rampage, walking into civilian homes at 3 a.m. and shooting the occupants - mostly little kids - as they slept."

American kills 16 in Afghanistan - New York Daily News

In a nut shell you should respect any American who serves in combat and even if he snaps like this guy did. He is like hundreds of thousands of Americans who have been run into the ground serving at the behest of a liar like George W. Bush. A man who was too much of a coward to use a genuine fair draft and sent our citizen soldiers (National Guard) into a war which really had nothing to do woth American defense. How many retired military were called back to service because their retirements had a little obsucre clause that said Bush could do thant? Don't forget the men and women who had their service tours extended indefinitely by another onscure little thing called "stop-loss". As for the 16 dead killed by a mentally deranged American the military might execute the first American to die of war related crimes since Private Eddie Slovik. A sad ending to an equally sad event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections