Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 10:36 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times

Advertisements

Not sure if it's a myth, but people in my family and some friends of mine make it sound like Republicans are the ones who care deeply about this country, and Democrats not as much. Is there truth to this? Or is it a myth?

Do Democrats really care about America's future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 11:08 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,895,483 times
Wow. Democrats are every bit as patriotic as Republicans. It is a lie perpetrated by conservative "news" outlets and some Republicans that Democrats aren't patriotic, but it is a flat out lie.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:14 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,565,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Wow. Democrats are every bit as patriotic as Republicans. It is a lie perpetrated by conservative "news" outlets and some Republicans that Democrats aren't patriotic, but it is a flat out lie.
Agreed, in fact I think Dems are even more patriotic than Reps.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:13 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Not sure if it's a myth, but people in my family and some friends of mine make it sound like Republicans are the ones who care deeply about this country, and Democrats not as much. Is there truth to this? Or is it a myth?

As strong a Republican as I am, I have never thought the majority of Democrats are not patriotic. I just think they don't see things the same way. They appear to be more negative and believe other countries have better ideas than we do. They often still believe people on the right hate minorities, etc and I actually find Democrats more bigotted as they only see one side. But I think most of them still believe in our country, they may not believe we are the land of the free and the home of the brave as much as we, on the right do. The radidal left are the ones we hear about the most.

Nita

Old 05-05-2012, 12:16 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,816,616 times
It's a myth, being a democrat is as patriotic as it gets

Old 05-05-2012, 12:24 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
this is the attitude that gives the left that reputation, don't you think both sides are incline to exagerate. You talk about the right media, have you listened to Bill Maher or Rachel Maddow or how about Chris Matthews for starters? Do you read the NY Times or how about Time magazine? What about the Los Angeles Times, or the Seattle Times? The MSM is much nore left leaning than right. I think we all need to be fair and realize there are patriotic people on both sides.

I love to sit down with Democrat friends, share a bottle of wine and discuss politics sensively, I hate when people jump to conclusions and start calling either side liars, do you agree?

Old 05-05-2012, 12:32 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,333,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
As strong a Republican as I am, I have never thought the majority of Democrats are not patriotic.
I appreciate the measured response. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I just think they don't see things the same way. They appear to be more negative and believe other countries have better ideas than we do. They often still believe people on the right hate minorities, etc and I actually find Democrats more bigotted as they only see one side. But I think most of them still believe in our country, they may not believe we are the land of the free and the home of the brave as much as we, on the right do. The radidal left are the ones we hear about the most.

Nita
I think that you've basically hit the nail on the head, and I think we - including us *******s (lol) have to remember that sometimes, too. It's easy to attribute false characteristics to those that we disagree with. It's easy to take a mental shortcut and say that "Well democrats don't support the war, so they don't support the troops." Just like it's easy to say "Well republicans want to cut welfare spending so they're a bunch of heartless animals."

In the course of my life, I think that truth is usually 'somewhere in between'. Somewhere in between the narrative we create, and the counter-narrative that is spun against those with our own attitudes. Take Bush, for example. I always thought that both Bush Sr. and W Bush were basically decent human beings (still are). I think they just never had the perspective of being a member of the working class, and because of that, never understood the challenges they really face. I think the same of true of Romney: a decent human being who just lacks perspective, which I think is necessary at a time like this. But I'm also convinced that some people who are trying to get close to Romney definitely are willing to do evil things to people in order to get what they want.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:39 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,446,125 times
Default Are Democrats patriotic at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

Republicans love to talk real tough when it's someone else's neck on the line.

Just check the D vs R at this link:

Who served?

Old 05-05-2012, 12:51 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times
I support the Democrats (though I'm not a party member) and so do a lot of the guys from my old rifle platoon in Vietnam.

The first one who calls us "un-patriotic" is gonna get hurt.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:17 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I support the Democrats (though I'm not a party member) and so do a lot of the guys from my old rifle platoon in Vietnam.

The first one who calls us "un-patriotic" is gonna get hurt.
Yeah, back in my day the Young Republicans got deferments or hard-to-get National Guard positions and the poor people like me, mostly from Dem families then, got drafted. We did not have too many "patriots" among us though, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections