Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 03:02 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,431,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
You can get a provisional ballot when you go to the polls if, your name doesn't show up on the voting rolls, let's say you "just moved" or you registered too late, it could have been an oversight that your name doesn't show up.

You can vote on the spot.

Now, go to another polling place across town and do the same thing.

A valid i.d. isn't required to show proof of who you are or where you live when you vote in the US.

It should be.

If it's an "inside job" you got an absentee ballot and didn't send it in, or whatever, you can take that directly to the polls, and if you know someone "inside" you could get a stack of those absentee ballots and stuff the box at different polling places couldn't you?
That's not quite "stuffing the ballot box" with makes it sound like you just sashay into the polling place and drop a handful of ballots into the box. There are only so many times you can walk into a polling place and check in and then vote and then check out and then put your ballot on the incline so the poll worker can pull the lever to pull it in and then go out and go to another polling place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 03:04 PM

45,424 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
What does that mean?

I suggest you work a poll or keep your mouth shut. You think that you are funny - you are not. You are demeaning and trashing the honest hard work that the people who volunteer or work for a small stipend, 15-18 hrs a day on Election Day do to ensure that the election is run smoothly, fairly, and that your vote counts. Do you have any specific evidence to back up your vicious statements? No? - then can it.
No he doesn't. He thinks he's smart.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
There are many ways but owning the company that programs the electronic voting machines is probably the most efficient. Traditional ways involved registering people that did not exist and using their names to cast fradulent votes.
It is, but the rightwing that claims to be so concerned with voter fraud seem to have no problem with those machines

Though actually messing with those machines would be election fraud, not voter fraud. Election fraud is much more serious because it actually changes the results and not by just a few ballots

Old 05-24-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
It is, but the rightwing that claims to be so concerned with voter fraud seem to have no problem with those machines

Though actually messing with those machines would be election fraud, not voter fraud. Election fraud is much more serious because it actually changes the results and not by just a few ballots

What's funny about the above statement is that here in MD the very minority Republicans were the ones raising the alarms about electronic voting with no paper copy. Their concerns were hooted down and, sure enough, the first election using them was riddled with system failures in nearly every County.

The decision has now been made to go back to the Opti-Scans. Of course, no funding was appropriated to do so.

Back to the original question: in the old days someone would just come in with a handful of pre-marked paper ballots and the election judges would look away. Later, with the mechanical machines where you flipped a toggle, the counter would be set above zero. Again you needed corrupt elections officials.

Today stuffing the ballot box is a bit more sophisticated. It usually takes the form of ineligible voters casting ballots.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:33 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,935,208 times
There were reports of this for Romney recently, believe either AZ or OK, maybe both.
The easiest way to game the system is with the machines. This includes ballot scanners. Yes, traditionally it is from people inside the system.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:43 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,226,365 times
Quote:
I'm not being sarcastic, I'm serious. How do you stuff ballot boxes?

I have a bunch of ballots for Barack Obama (no, I don't. This is just an example) and I'd like to go down to my local polling place and stuff the ballot box with them. How exactly do I do that?
Say you are a dead person they seem to vote democratic

Old 05-24-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's not usually done on the individual citizen level. It's done on the level of the people who oversee the polling place. After the polls close, they add extra ballots. No witnesses that way, except the cronies who are in on it.
Where do these extra ballots come from? Here in Cambridge that know exactly how many ballots you had and how many people voted and those numbers better add up. Plus you would have to be doing it in full view of all the other poll workers and the police officer assigned to the voting precint

Old 05-24-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
You can get a provisional ballot when you go to the polls if, your name doesn't show up on the voting rolls, let's say you "just moved" or you registered too late, it could have been an oversight that your name doesn't show up.

You can vote on the spot.

Now, go to another polling place across town and do the same thing.

A valid i.d. isn't required to show proof of who you are or where you live when you vote in the US.

It should be.

If it's an "inside job" you got an absentee ballot and didn't send it in, or whatever, you can take that directly to the polls, and if you know someone "inside" you could get a stack of those absentee ballots and stuff the box at different polling places couldn't you?
How are photo IDs going to stop any of that?

Old 05-24-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Where do these extra ballots come from? Here in Cambridge that know exactly how many ballots you had and how many people voted and those numbers better add up. Plus you would have to be doing it in full view of all the other poll workers and the police officer assigned to the voting precint
Again, the process has changed from the old days. And yes, I've seen, and been a victim of, voter fraud which took the form of ineligible due to non-residence voters being allowed to cast ballots.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:12 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Ask any Democrat - it is part of the indoctrination. I remember my fathe rin law telling me of when he worked for the Democratic party in Mass. when he was younger and driving old folks to the polls, taking them into the booth and pulling the Democratic levers for them. Acorn, dead voters, the 200o election....history shows that the Democrats cornered the market on this practice. Very similar to Union thug tactics.
Funny you should bring this up. My grandmother and many of her friends in her retirement home were driven to and from the polls by Republican volunteers for many years. I asked her once who she voted for, and her response was, "The young man who drove us told us who we should vote for, and he was such a nice young man that I didn't want to disappoint him." I wonder how many little old ladies' votes they got that way. So no, Democrats don't have the market cornered on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections