Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 12:47 AM

16,427 posts, read 22,271,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Our laws still prevent the full practice of their polygamy, their religion.
Interesting that polygamy, though not condemned by the Bible is outlawed, yet homosexuality, which is condemned by the Bible, is "legal".

But to the point, what is wrong with a campaign ad in Spanish? Por que no?

Old 06-05-2012, 12:51 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,104,179 times
Quote:
I'm not disagreeing with you -- I'm asking why on earth are they back in the USA after making Mexico their polygamous homeland? Our laws still prevent the full practice of their polygamy, their religion.
Utah became a state because it did not insist that polygamy be legal. Also - not all Mormons make a big deal about polygamy - in fact, most do not.

Shoot - one of the best beers I ever drank was brewed in Utah - and I drank it in Salt Lake City. It was Wasatch Ale. Wasatch Brew Pub & Brewery - Park City, Utah

I should have ordered the Polygamy Porter - it was on tap.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,922,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Interesting that polygamy, though not condemned by the Bible is outlawed, yet homosexuality, which is condemned by the Bible, is "legal".

But to the point, what is wrong with a campaign ad in Spanish? Por que no?
Pandering for the votes of non-citizens or unassimilated foreigners is wrong -- no matter which politician is pandering. How about speaking to the American people? Or if Romney wants his campaign ads in Spanish --- maybe he ought to join his counterparts back home:

Debate Presidencial México 2012 Completo 2/6 "AMLO DESPEDAZO A SUS RIVALES" 06/05/12 HQ - YouTube

Old 06-05-2012, 12:56 AM

30,448 posts, read 52,161,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Maybe that's because we don't live in a theocracy, thus the Bible has no bearing on our laws?

For the record, I think BOTH should be legal... and if you want to debate what the Bible says about homosexuality, I suggest you start or join another thread.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Pandering for the votes of non-citizens or unassimilated foreigners is wrong -- no matter which politician is pandering. How about speaking to the American people? Or if Romney wants his campaign ads in Spanish --- maybe he ought to join his counterparts back home:

Debate Presidencial México 2012 Completo 2/6 "AMLO DESPEDAZO A SUS RIVALES" 06/05/12 HQ - YouTube
Mexico is not Willard's home - he was born in the United States of America - not Unidos Eastados de Mexico.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:59 AM

30,448 posts, read 52,161,012 times
Quote:
He is speaking to the American people. In case you haven't noticed (obviously you have), a good percentage of American people now speak Spanish... some only speak Spanish, but many are bilingual, and they all represent America in their own way. Every politician "panders" to various demographics, this is nothing newsworthy.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Mexico is not Willard's home - he was born in the United States of America - not Unidos Eastados de Mexico.
You just said his family escaped persecution in the USA and made Mexico their home. He obviously loves his people and their language, I'm asking why did they then leave their country of Mexico?

Old 06-05-2012, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
He is speaking to the American people. In case you haven't noticed (obviously you have), a good percentage of American people now speak Spanish... some only speak Spanish, but many are bilingual, and they all represent America in their own way. Every politician "panders" to various demographics, this is nothing newsworthy.
I realize most hispanic immigrants that have arrived since 1980 have no intention of learning English or assimilating but I do not agree with the Balkinization of the USA. The language division is growing very fast and very strong -- you are exactly correct.

Other immigrants seem to have no trouble adapting and learning the language of the USA. Mexicans intend to make this country just like the one they abandoned, including making the language Spanish.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:05 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,325,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
No need to worry, he's going to vote for Mitt in November, surprisingly, it seems like his hatred for Obama trumps his hatred for Mexicans

Old 06-05-2012, 01:07 AM

Quote:
You just said his family escaped persecution in the USA and made Mexico their home. He obviously loves his people and their language, I'm asking why did they then leave their country of Mexico?
I told you - Mexico was his familiy's temporary refuge - once the United States stopped persecuting based on religious beliefs - and the Mormon's in Utah quit making polygamy a wedge issue - then the Romney's came back - to our nations great benefit.

On of their son's will replace one of the worst presidents in U.S. history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections