Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 01:48 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,864,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Been to any Vietnamese or Chinese neighborhoods recently? I have, and they're not exactly clamoring to speak English either. Btw, English is an official language of India, and nearly EVERY Indian person is raised speaking it - so that wasn't a very good example.
Yes India is a good example. They are a people who have found the advantage of having a common language and they have chosen English, in part for the same reason we had English -- former British colony and all that.

India is turning to a common language as opposed to a 100 different languages and dialects and the USA is dumping English and going with Spanish or maybe 100 different languages.

Like it or not, English is the world language. Yet -- we have many people living in the USA refusing to learn it, clinging to their own country's languages.

They all sure do take to the American dollar however. It's the one thing besides food stamp cards and WIC coupons they don't require to have in their own country's languages.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:53 AM

30,438 posts, read 52,103,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I'm not angry - that picture makes me happy - to be both an American(first) and a Californian(second)!
I was directing that more towards malamute, but I agree! It doesn't make me angry at all, and I'm happy to live in such a diverse area.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:54 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,088,012 times
Quote:
Who is Billy Carter?

Billy is(was?) President James Carter's alcoholic brother. I am not sure if that was a mistake in names, they don't really know President Carter's first name, or the person was implying a drunk would be better than President Obama.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:54 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,080,297 times
Quote:
I registered Democrat to vote in the primaries, and my Presidential choices included Obama or "blank" - I was tempted to write in Howard Stern.
Ahhh - I have voted for Green Party candidates (Dan Hamburg - California Governor - 1998), Libertarian candidates (Harry Browne - U.S. president - 2000), and Democratic candidates (Kathleen Connell - California Controller - 1998).

People are not always beholden to political ideologies - we often vote for the best candidates available.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:55 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,088,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think the Romneys should have stayed in their country of Mexico.

If everybody had stayed in "their" country, it would be pretty lonely here.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes India is a good example. They are a people who have found the advantage of having a common language and they have chosen English, in part for the same reason we had English -- former British colony and all that.

India is turning to a common language as opposed to a 100 different languages and dialects and the USA is dumping English and going with Spanish or maybe 100 different languages.

Like it or not, English is the world language.
You're totally switching topics here, since you were referring to Indian immigrants "learning" English to assimilate... and as I pointed out (and you apparently agree), most of them had already learned English as a child.

Quote:
Yet -- we have many people living in the USA refusing to learn it, clinging to their own country's languages.
How do you know they're refusing to learn, and clinging to their native languages? Judging by the long waiting lists for my library's ESL classes, adult tutoring programs, conversation clubs, etc, the majority of them DO want to learn. Do you think it's an instantaneous process, especially when we're talking about older adults? I can tell you from my experiences in teaching this subject, no it is not.

Quote:
They all sure do take to the American dollar however. It's the one thing besides food stamp cards and WIC coupons they don't require to have in their own country's languages.
Switching topics again... please focus on the OT.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Billy is(was?) President James Carter's alcoholic brother. I am not sure if that was a mistake in names, they don't really know President Carter's first name, or the person was implying a drunk would be better than President Obama.
Jimmy Carter(I am not a fan of his) or a drunk would be better than President Obama as president of the United States of America.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
If everybody had stayed in "their" country, it would be pretty lonely here.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Ahhh - I have voted for Green Party candidates (Dan Hamburg - California Governor - 1998), Libertarian candidates (Harry Browne - U.S. president - 2000), and Democratic candidates (Kathleen Connell - California Controller - 1998).

People are not always beholden to political ideologies - we often vote for the best candidates available.
You know I'm an Independent (just left-leaning), so I have voted for a variety of candidates too - just no Republicans yet, since they stray too far from my ideologies for comfort. I almost went for Ron Paul this year, but something about him just doesn't sit 100% right with me.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand! I haven't actually seen bilingual ads for either candidate yet... but I usually fast-forward through commercials, since I'm always watching TV on my DVR.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:07 AM

Quote:
You know I'm an Independent (just left-leaning), so I have voted for a variety of candidates too - just no Republicans yet, since they stray too far from my ideologies for comfort. I almost went for Ron Paul this year, but something about him just doesn't sit 100% right with me.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand! I haven't actually seen bilingual ads for either candidate yet... but I usually fast-forward through commercials, since I'm always watching TV on my DVR.
You have gotten some respect points from me a while back. We disagree on a lot - but you are an authentic independent(and we at least agree on music).

Please don't take my posts as indictments - I love diversity (whether it is is political, racial, lingual, or whatever - I am after all a Californian) - I can understand where you are coming from and don't require you to agree with me for you to gain my respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections