Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 05:05 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Or when Romney deploys his son to speak Spanish at political rallies?

Where are all these "English Only" fanatics?

"Yo soy Mitt Romney y yo apruebo este mensaje."

Mitt Romney Unleashes Spanish-Language Ad On Florida Voters

Nosotros - YouTube

Mitt Romney deploys Spanish speaking son as Republican court Hispanic vote - YouTube

BAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA. They all (including the Hispanics in the commercial) sound like a bunch of gringos.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:24 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,324,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Pandering for the votes of non-citizens or unassimilated foreigners is wrong -- no matter which politician is pandering. How about speaking to the American people? Or if Romney wants his campaign ads in Spanish --- maybe he ought to join his counterparts back home:

Debate Presidencial México 2012 Completo 2/6 "AMLO DESPEDAZO A SUS RIVALES" 06/05/12 HQ - YouTube
Exactly! I don't like the fact that Romney is doing these Spanish ads. For one thing in order to become a citizen one has to know English sans the elderly and only citizens can vote. So just who is he trying to reach?

Old 06-05-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I don't either, but it is demographicaly inevitable that the US will be a majority Hispanic country within 50 years or so. Reality is that Spanish will have more and more importance in our society.
And this is directly due to illegal immigration from south of our border and that is unacceptable. I thought Hispanics were assimilating. Didn't we have an entire thread dedicated to that? Was it all lies?

Old 06-05-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Been to any Vietnamese or Chinese neighborhoods recently? I have, and they're not exactly clamoring to speak English either. Btw, English is an official language of India, and nearly EVERY Indian person is raised speaking it - so that wasn't a very good example.
Those are usually ethnic business neighborhoods. Big difference! There are not thousands of these residential neighborhoods all over our country like there are Hispanic ones who by the way are harboring illegal aliens.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I was just joking. I live in Germany but will soon retire to Colorado, maybe Loveland or Colorado springs.

But about Spanish, seriously folks, do we really want to be illiterate around so many of the people we meet every day? I think Spanish should be mandatory as a second language in our schools.
Why? Most Hispanic-"Americans" know how to speak English. We already have our common national language of English to communicate with them in.
Are you not reading the posts where the claim is that by 2nd generation or so Spanish is lost? What is the real truth?

Old 06-05-2012, 08:54 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,119,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Who is Billy Carter?

President Jimmy Carter's dumber brother. Pretty much an embarrassment to the Carters.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:11 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,497,657 times
Quote:
"Yo soy Mitt Romney y yo apruebo este mensaje."
Romney is Mexican-American, and I think he's wise to focus on that in certain communities.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:17 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,571,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Exactly! I don't like the fact that Romney is doing these Spanish ads. For one thing in order to become a citizen one has to know English sans the elderly and only citizens can vote. So just who is he trying to reach?
College educated women such as my wife who grew up speaking Spanish and English.

It is one of the fastest growing demographics in America.

What is so hard to understand about this?

What is so hard to accept?

In every other industrialized country in the WORLD, children are REQUIRED two learn two languages, sometimes more.

Why does this bother you so much?

Not that it really matters. Republicans are doing everything in their power to lose the vote of Hispanics.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:52 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Romney has to do it. Obama wants to do it.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:12 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
College educated women such as my wife who grew up speaking Spanish and English.
So Romney is doing this to reach your wife, who actually speaks English?

Quote:
In every other industrialized country in the WORLD, children are REQUIRED two learn two languages, sometimes more.
I'll give you only one guess as to what is the most common second language in the world to learn is. Here's a hint: It isn't Spanish.

One of the benefits of having the most powerful, most influential nation is that your language becomes the de facto common language of the world. In other words, beyond communicating with immigrants who refuse to learn our language, there is no reason for American citizens to learn a Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.