Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 02:06 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,597,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
This is a small taste of King Romney. If elected he will assert his will and the will of his church on all Americans.

The only problem with Romney's neighbors is that they are not mormon and were living their lives as free Americans. The real problem is not the neighbor but Romney.

You are a bigot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 03:08 PM

28,151 posts, read 30,106,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
This is a small taste of King Romney. If elected he will assert his will and the will of his church on all Americans.
That's fascinating. Could you please explain how he would go about doing this? I thought we were living in a democratic society and that laws were enacted by Congress.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:53 PM

45 posts, read 69,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That's fascinating. Could you please explain how he would go about doing this? I thought we were living in a democratic society and that laws were enacted by Congress.
Haven't you heard? Thomas S Monson and the Church will be pulling all the strings from Temple Square.

Give me a break!

Old 06-07-2012, 04:03 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,597,742 times
LaJolla will vote for Mitt Romney.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:27 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,399,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
You've got to be kidding me. I wonder if the NY times would ever run a story on all the cramped security in Obama's urban Chicago neighborhood last election. This is disgraceful journalism. It's so much a blatantly partisan non-story that it might even out-do the Washington Post hitpiece from last month. I'm sure Romney doesn't like having those secret service people follow him everywhere anymore than any of the rest of us would, but he doesn't have much of a choice!

And what are you talking about he doesn't plan to live in the house? He goes there all the time! The story even says he's been there the past two weekends. What you are saying is either misinformed or a lie.

If you don't want to have the cops called on you, here's an idea - don't break the law!
Don't be so touchy!

The story is NOT a hit piece. It's more of a "fish out of water" story about the impact of 1) having Romney for a neighbor, and 2) the ways in which he is, or is not, fitting in to the neighborhood.

Geeze, chill, will ya? Romney stands a great chance of winning in Nov. It's loing to be a looooong four years for you Romney supporters on this forum, if you can't take a little ribbing.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:39 PM

688 posts, read 653,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
LaJolla will vote for Mitt Romney.
This is true.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:48 PM

29,232 posts, read 22,487,619 times
The neighbors could be angry for several reasons besides the increased attention and security which would naturally follow Romney's election.

It could be that his new house is much larger or fancier than all the surrounding homes. It could be looming up like a brick outhouse in the fog if this is true, and over-building one home can raise the property taxes for an entire subdivision.

Beach access may be restricted. Beachfront property in La Jolla is prized and expensive, and while the beaches are public, access isn't always easy. Increasing the lack of access for those who paid a lot for it would make the neighbors angry.

My in-laws lived close to Nixon's compound, and they hated the scrutiny that went on all the time. My father-in-law had a telescope in his dining room; he used to to watch the sea lions who occupied a tiny little sand spit offshore. A Secret Service guy once spotted the gleam of the telescopes' brass barrel, and went over and checked it out. Minor stuff like this was common all over the neighborhood, and it was resented.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:05 PM

19,902 posts, read 12,193,606 times
His new neighbors seem like crybabies. From the OP's article "If this were Obama," she said, standing near bright orange barriers restricting access to Dunemere, "I'd probably be fine with it." Another example of liberal tolerance.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:11 PM

29,980 posts, read 43,030,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Whoa, Mogal, are you ready to join Occupy?

You think, regardless who these people are, they should have to put up with this kind of disruption on their quiet street? Would YOU??? The Stiff hasn't even moved in yet, and he's already calling the cops on his neighbors

Why the hell would Romney move into such an indefensible position? At least Nixon had the sense to site the Western White House in San Clemente on an isolated bluff.

Fearless prediction: Romney has NO INTENTIONS of living in that house. He's flipping it, but not before ruining his neighbors' peace and tranquility ( and their ocean views).
Had these wealthy folks been concerned about their ocean views they would have purchased the lot themselves so no one could build on it.

Nope, this is all politics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
His new neighbors seem like crybabies. From the OP's article "If this were Obama," she said, standing near bright orange barriers restricting access to Dunemere, "I'd probably be fine with it." Another example of liberal tolerance.
Exactly.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,931,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Give me a break.

How tolerant would a conservative be if a gay couple or Muslim family moved into their neighborhood? What about a family of Mexican immigrants?

Complaining about the new neighbors is practically an American pasttime and is not limited to people of any particular political slant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections