Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 06:20 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,390,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
This is true.
[re La Jolla going for Romney]

I dunno. Ten years ago, it would have been a lock for the GOP, but the old red enclaves in Ca are being slowly overtaken by demographic changes.

As the article says, the Dem/GOP split in the city is about 50/50. Pretty sizable gay population, too. Though there ARE a lot of trust-fund babies in that town, who might vote for what they perceive to be in the best interest of their bank accounts. So, if the economy continues to tank, then Romney's got a pretty good chance in La Jolla, like everywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 06:31 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,089,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Don't be so touchy!

The story is NOT a hit piece. It's more of a "fish out of water" story about the impact of 1) having Romney for a neighbor, and 2) the ways in which he is, or is not, fitting in to the neighborhood.

Geeze, chill, will ya? Romney stands a great chance of winning in Nov. It's loing to be a looooong four years for you Romney supporters on this forum, if you can't take a little ribbing.
I didn't mean to imply this article was a hit piece, sorry it came off like that. I just thought this article was stupid. While I'm pretty defensive of my candidate in serious discussions, I have a good sense of humor, trust me . But this article took a pretty serious tone which is why I was so critical of it. I am sorry that I took your post the wrong way though. I will agree that he doesn't seem to fit in at all in this neighborhood. I just think it should be a non issue as far as the NY Times is concerned

Old 06-07-2012, 07:42 PM

688 posts, read 652,720 times
Quote:
[re La Jolla going for Romney]

I dunno. Ten years ago, it would have been a lock for the GOP, but the old red enclaves in Ca are being slowly overtaken by demographic changes.

As the article says, the Dem/GOP split in the city is about 50/50. Pretty sizable gay population, too. Though there ARE a lot of trust-fund babies in that town, who might vote for what they perceive to be in the best interest of their bank accounts. So, if the economy continues to tank, then Romney's got a pretty good chance in La Jolla, like everywhere else.
La Jolla's gone soft.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:15 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,740,882 times
Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/07/ga....html?src=dayp

Pretty humorous article about the impact the Romney family is having on life in the exclusive La Jolla cul-da-sac where he plans to build his McMansion. Suffice it to say a lot of neighbors (many of them gay couples ) are NOT HAPPY.

I love the bit about Romney walking down the beach (in LDS business attire, no doubt), scolding all the pot-smoking hippies.

Brings to mind the famous photo of Nixon, trying to imitate JFK's famous "Walk on the Beach" photo, by standing in the surf in a suit and tie, dipping his Floursheims in the lapping waves
Wait, you're saying the most famous sounding board for the Democratic Party is actually taking shots at the GOP candidate?? No way! That's crazy! Who ever heard of such a thing??

If I can cite cases where a stuck up neighborhood of rich folk are upset about a black couple moving in, is that actually funny too? We could have a great time making lots of racist jokes talking about that. Should be a laugh a minute, right?

How do the Dems pull off being blatant bigots against Mormons and pretty much anyone strongly committed to their religion, but are aghast when they see bigotry against groups that vote Democrat? Bigotry is bigotry is bigotry.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:28 PM

26,517 posts, read 15,092,794 times
Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/07/ga....html?src=dayp

I love the bit about Romney walking down the beach (in LDS business attire, no doubt), scolding all the pot-smoking hippies.
Romney should have yelled "INTERCEPTED" and puffed that pot like a "choom gang" member.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:44 PM

688 posts, read 652,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post

How do the Dems pull off being blatant bigots against Mormons and pretty much anyone strongly committed to their religion, but are aghast when they see bigotry against groups that vote Democrat? Bigotry is bigotry is bigotry.
Dems aren't the ones concerned with winning over the CHRISTIAN Bible Belt or trying to one-up their fellow Christians at the expense of obvious logic. Just sayin'.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:23 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,173,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Meh. Why should anyone really care about the selfish neighborhood complaints of the top 15% of the 1%?

lol...good one. I actually saw them interviewing their neighbors and they were all glad about all of the extra security. They don't even mind the mobile command unit out in front of the house.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:45 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,740,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
Dems aren't the ones concerned with winning over the CHRISTIAN Bible Belt or trying to one-up their fellow Christians at the expense of obvious logic. Just sayin'.
Bigotry is bigotry is bigotry is bigotry. Just sayin'. Making fun of someone for their Mormonism isn't any less bigoted than telling jokes about black people.

And the Christian Bible Belt refuses to admit that Mormonsim (aka the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) is actually a Christian religion. So while he does need to win the Bible Belt, he's at a significant disadvantage compared to more "acceptable" Christians candidates. A Romney win might be good for the GOP. Might help them start to diminish the influence of the uber-dogmatic Christian right and broaden the GOP's thinking, seeing as Mormonism is extremely non-traditional theologically.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:54 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
lol...good one. I actually saw them interviewing their neighbors and they were all glad about all of the extra security. They don't even mind the mobile command unit out in front of the house.
I suspect the OP and the neighbors would have preferred Romney buy his lot from the local slumlord at less than half of the market price like the Obama's did.

Clue: see Tony Rezko & Valerie Jarrett

Old 06-08-2012, 02:18 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,173,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I suspect the OP and the neighbors would have preferred Romney buy his lot from the local slumlord at less than half of the market price like the Obama's did.

Clue: see Tony Rezko & Valerie Jarrett

lol...another good one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections