Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 04:01 AM

29,221 posts, read 22,418,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
His new neighbors seem like crybabies. From the OP's article "If this were Obama," she said, standing near bright orange barriers restricting access to Dunemere, "I'd probably be fine with it." Another example of liberal tolerance.
The more expensive the neighborhood, the worse the problems like this are. The very wealthy are all used to getting things their way.

I think middle class folks are more tolerant because, in part, they can't afford to move up into the high priced exclusive neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,924,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Bigotry is bigotry is bigotry is bigotry. Just sayin'. Making fun of someone for their Mormonism isn't any less bigoted than telling jokes about black people.

And the Christian Bible Belt refuses to admit that Mormonsim (aka the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) is actually a Christian religion. So while he does need to win the Bible Belt, he's at a significant disadvantage compared to more "acceptable" Christians candidates. A Romney win might be good for the GOP. Might help them start to diminish the influence of the uber-dogmatic Christian right and broaden the GOP's thinking, seeing as Mormonism is extremely non-traditional theologically.
Unlike being born black, people choose to be a Mormon. If an adult actually believes in the existence of planet Kolob, Moroni's gold plates and magic translating stones buried on a hill in New York and the other Mormon crap, they deserve to be made fun of.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:02 PM

28,109 posts, read 30,019,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Unlike being born black, people choose to be a Mormon. If an adult actually believes in the existence of planet Kolob, Moroni's gold plates and magic translating stones buried on a hill in New York and the other Mormon crap, they deserve to be made fun of.
Just curious... are you religious? If so, what is your religion?

Old 06-09-2012, 08:20 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,393,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Wait, you're saying the most famous sounding board for the Democratic Party is actually taking shots at the GOP candidate?? No way! That's crazy! Who ever heard of such a thing??

If I can cite cases where a stuck up neighborhood of rich folk are upset about a black couple moving in, is that actually funny too? We could have a great time making lots of racist jokes talking about that. Should be a laugh a minute, right?

How do the Dems pull off being blatant bigots against Mormons and pretty much anyone strongly committed to their religion, but are aghast when they see bigotry against groups that vote Democrat? Bigotry is bigotry is bigotry.
Uh...

Are you referring to the reactions of the GAY neighbors??? You don't think they have the right to express their feelings about the blatant homophobia in the Mormon church? You can't be a bigot, then turn around and accuse someone else of name-calling when they point out your bigotry! That is arguing in bad faith.

(And don't talk to me about the two or three hundred "Mormons Building Bridges", either. That's a nice start- call me when the Church changes it's doctrine)

Otherwise, Romney's religion doesn't enter into this article at all. In fact, without checking, I'd guess there is an excellent chance the friend the Romneys moved next door to is ALSO LDS- it just seems to work that way in the Mormon network. Have you ever BEEN to La Jolla??? The tallest building in town is the GIGANTIC Mormon temple on Charmont. I have a feeling the LDS is pretty well situated in La Jolla- probably a factor in Mitt's choice of a home site.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Romney should have yelled "INTERCEPTED" and puffed that pot like a "choom gang" member.

He made it through a quarter at Stanford in '65 without taking off his tie. Unless he goes through a mid-life crisis, I'd say Mitt's not in danger of being influenced by the SoCal beach lifestyle.

Too bad- loosening up a little would be GOOD for him. Who knows- maybe he'll ditch the helmet head look, grow a ponytail, and learn to ride a longboard!

Old 06-09-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
lol...good one. I actually saw them interviewing their neighbors and they were all glad about all of the extra security. They don't even mind the mobile command unit out in front of the house.
"They don't even mind the MOBILE COMMAND UNIT in front of their house"

Dixie, if you're not a professional flack, you missed your calling.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:12 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,185,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post

lol...I will consider that a compliment coming from you.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:20 PM

19,859 posts, read 12,139,830 times
Quote:

What is so surprising about a Presidential candidate having Secret Service protecting them? United States Secret Service: Protection

Old 06-09-2012, 12:26 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,879,946 times
My guess is that they would need at least 2 U-Haul trucks to move all their stuff.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:52 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,749,267 times
Quote:
Uh...

Are you referring to the reactions of the GAY neighbors??? You don't think they have the right to express their feelings about the blatant homophobia in the Mormon church? You can't be a bigot, then turn around and accuse someone else of name-calling when they point out your bigotry! That is arguing in bad faith.
The Mormon religion and Mitt Romney seem to be on the same page: They are both less homophobic than traditional Christians and sects. Jon Huntsman and Mitt Romney stuck out like sore thumbs as not hating gays enough compared to the other "more conservative" GOP candidates. Did you seriously not notice that? I have no idea how you could have missed it!

Because of Prop 8, the LGBT activists focus in on them -- the latecomer religious group that saved Prop 8 from certain failure. Why are they not launching an all-out attack against Judaism, Catholicism, Islam, Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, Evangelicals and Greek Orthodox? All of them consider homosexuality to be "an abomination before God." All of theses religions enthusiastically support movements banning gay marriage. So why so much focus on just one group? Simple: It's a lot less dangerous taking shots at a religion that is considered heretical by most other Christian religions. Bullies like to pick on people who have few or no friends to defend them. It is quite fashionable to bash Mormonism no matter who you are. Nobody get's outraged over Mormon bashing -- except me apparently.

Prop 8 and countless similar movements were all started by Evangelicals and other more traditional Christian religions. It was Evangelicals who pushed through ban on gay marriage all across the South long before there even was a Prop 8. Why aren't they focussing on those religions?? Instead, they go for the easier target. Very brave of them.

Democrats are hypocrites and Sco's comment illustrates it perfectly. Any group of people whether it be race or ethnicity or religion can easily be made fun of. All you have to do is find anything about them that is different or that you find objectionable or weird. Then start cracking wise about it. People can and do enthusiastically make fun of Atheists, Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Lawyers, Doctors, Policemen, Irish, Mexican, Blacks, Whites, Asian, Middle Eastern, Native Americans, Jews, Jehovah's Witnesses, Catholics, etc.

Me pointing out the obvious hypocrisy of Mormon-bashing is ... well obvious. And I'm sure the NY Times took plenty of artistic license in their reporting of the neighborhood's. They also did more than a little Mormon bashing of their own there. I choose not to bash or demonize any group of people. The same cannot be said of Democrats obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections