Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 03:00 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,573,617 times

Advertisements

Look at the history of Iran, you will see exactly what he is talking about./\
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 03:09 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,443,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
What? We voted for the Mullahs? When did this happen?
Not exactly.

You see, Iran HAD a democratically elected President that the United States OVERTHREW because that President wanted to nationalize the oil companies. We installed a US-friendly dictator/monarch in his place.

The Mullahs were able to galvanize support against the Shah, and use hatred for what the US did to draw up support for the Islamic Revolution that they otherwise wouldn't have had, since Iran was actually a fairly progressive, modern state.

So, No US meddling in Iran ---> No Islamic Revolution ---> no Ahmedinejad, no Mullah control of Iran..

Old 09-25-2007, 03:25 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,367,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Not exactly.

You see, Iran HAD a democratically elected President that the United States OVERTHREW because that President wanted to nationalize the oil companies. We installed a US-friendly dictator/monarch in his place.

The Mullahs were able to galvanize support against the Shah, and use hatred for what the US did to draw up support for the Islamic Revolution that they otherwise wouldn't have had, since Iran was actually a fairly progressive, modern state.

So, No US meddling in Iran ---> No Islamic Revolution ---> no Ahmedinejad, no Mullah control of Iran..
When was that? 1953? That meddling gave your grandfather a steady supply of oil.

And you're going to need it in coming years, too.

So -- get ready for some meddling of your own. Or start rubbing sticks together.

Civilization isn't cheap. Or clean.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf
When was that? 1953? That meddling gave your grandfather a steady supply of oil.

So -- get ready for some meddling of your own. Or start rubbing sticks together.

Oh spare me.

I don't care if my oil comes from private companies or a nationalized oil country (like Saudi Arabia or Mexico). For the life of me I don't understand how anyone could equate what we did in Iran with guaranteeing a steady supply of oil. How much, exactly, of our oil came from Iran then and comes from Iran today? Yeah. That's what I thought.

And I've already gone on record as saying the trillions spent by this country to "secure oil" is a bad thing. As if "oil" is the only potential fuel, EVER.

Stop making excuses for interventionism for private profits. Like the United Fruit Company in Latin America, NOBODY except the shareholders of whatever company your tax dollars are subsidizing the profits of benefit from "securing resources" through force!

Old 09-25-2007, 06:42 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,644,190 times
If the middle east didn't have oil, we wouldn't know the name of 1/4 of the whole region, and the 1/4 we did know the name of, that would be about it. We have no interest there outside of oil.

Soon we will be playing with Russia though, and we won't be strong enough to impose our will on them. If we don't get our collective head out of our a$$ and develop alternative energy sources, we will be playing second fiddle to Russia in 10-15 years.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
If the middle east didn't have oil, we wouldn't know the name of 1/4 of the whole region, and the 1/4 we did know the name of, that would be about it. We have no interest there outside of oil.

Soon we will be playing with Russia though, and we won't be strong enough to impose our will on them. If we don't get our collective head out of our a$$ and develop alternative energy sources, we will be playing second fiddle to Russia in 10-15 years.
Aint that the truth! But for some reason, nobody seems to understand that the only way we're ever going to "defeat the terrorists" is to sever our ties and dependence on that region.

I'm afraid it's not going to happen so long as "oil men" control the government!

Old 09-26-2007, 12:08 AM

2,935 posts, read 5,004,606 times
Quote:

That's a very cold and horrible thing to say. I guess it's okay for us to place people in other countries under the tyranny we say we abhor as long as it keeps those gas prices down. Manifest Destiny?

Old 09-26-2007, 12:45 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,580,541 times
Quote:

You are completely right Putin screwed up when he tossed Shell oil out this past spring. Russia's oil technology is antiquited at best although improving

Old 09-26-2007, 07:36 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,872,162 times
I always thought that when you paid for something you were buying it and that when you took something by force you were stealing. I have observed that in our international oil dealings the difference between buying and stealing has become a little blurred.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:24 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,836,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsteved View Post
So you are saying we should bomb them? We should not even try talking to them first?
Yes, bomb their military sites back into the Stone Age. At the very least we need to take out their military installations, Nuke development sites, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
And if we bomb them, wouldn't that most likely kill some gays? Which as the OP points out, is absurd....and then if they are killed unjustly, would they then be given salvation by a forgiving god? Or since they are Muslim, do they get 40 male virgins instead? My head aches...
It's 70 virgins, but they have to kill a bunch of innocent Christians and Jews first, before they get the 70 virgins.

Quote:
Maybe Congress is on the right track....

"Washington (AP) Congress signaled its disapproval of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad with a vote Tuesday (397-16) to tighten sanctions against his government and a call to designate his army a terrorist group."
Who were the 16 who voted against it? Let me guess.... Pelosi, Jack Murtha, etc etc. The usual suspects... the gool 'ol anti-American bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
FYI, no matter what, the guy isn't a "Dictator"... he's a more or less powerless figurehead elected by the people of Iran. The real power in Iran lies in the Mullahs.

... and we have only OURSELVES to blame for THAT!

PS: No need to remind us that you don't think gays have "salvation." We're well aware of the American Christian version of God and heaven and who apparently gets to go where when they die.
Quote:
Please don't take his stance as a blanket for all Christians. My beliefs are not the same, and it really is painful being lumped together and stereotyped with other Christians who have a more extreme view.
Really? Maybe then the BIBLE is "extreme", as you call it.

Check out Galatians 5:19 and Romans 1:26-27... and have a nice drink of Kool-aid. Refreshing, ain't it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchuckie View Post
You are completely right Putin screwed up when he tossed Shell oil out this past spring. Russia's oil technology is antiquited at best although improving
RussiaAnd to think we could be 100% independent from foreign oil completely for AT LEAST 30 YEARS if we could defeat the Democrat's filabuster in the Senate and drill in ANWAR. >_<
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections