Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 10:42 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,815,447 times

Advertisements

Pondering Obama vs. Romney, I am remembering back to the Reagan vs. Carter, Clinton vs. Bush I, Clinton vs. Dole, Bush II vs. Gore, Bush II vs. Kerry contests. In every case the more likable guy won. I recall thinking after 2004, I would never put forward a person who was smart but boring again.

Now, I will grant the economy goes against Obama, but the likability has to go against Romney.

Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 10:47 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,521,355 times
Kerry came very close to winning you know. W only got 51% of the popular vote...and his approval was 53%. Obama's approval is in the mid 40's.

And, look at this...

Obama, Romney Likability, Favorability - Business Insider

Old 06-25-2012, 11:00 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,533,360 times
Obama has no likability with anyone except the bent knee crowd who worship, slavishly, the ground He walks on. Frankly, I find Romney quite likable regardless of the efforts of the left to paint him differently.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:02 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,326,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Pondering Obama vs. Romney, I am remembering back to the Reagan vs. Carter, Clinton vs. Bush I, Clinton vs. Dole, Bush II vs. Gore, Bush II vs. Kerry contests. In every case the more likable guy won. I recall thinking after 2004, I would never put forward a person who was smart but boring again.

Now, I will grant the economy goes against Obama, but the likability has to go against Romney.

Discuss.
Romney = Presidential candidate John Kerry

Old 06-25-2012, 11:04 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,521,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Obama has no likability with anyone except the bent knee crowd who worship, slavishly, the ground He walks on. Frankly, I find Romney quite likable regardless of the efforts of the left to paint him differently.
Why did you capitalize "he"? Because the lefties worship him?

I am not an Obama supporter but I did used to find him likable. I no longer do. I think he is just a pandering, lying politican who will say anything/do anything in the hopes of getting re-elected. While I could likely relate to Obama at least slightly better than I could relate to Romney, I do find Romney more likable.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:04 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,815,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
I agree that he is a bit better than Kerry or Gore, but he also has that detached rich guy thing (like Bush I) working against him. Amazingly, baby Bush seemed to come over as all folksy, when he was really as rich as his Dad. But hey, it worked.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:28 AM

33,387 posts, read 35,006,749 times
dont be fooled right now on the likeability polling data. remember that romney has not yet gotten the republican nomination for president, he is only the presumptive nominee. i think romneys likeability numbers will go up over the course of the campaign, especially if the economy continues to tank.

as for comparing romney to kerry, romney has a personality, kerry(aka lurch) didnt.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:24 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,599,361 times
I don't think their is a Bradley effect anymore,except when it comes to this. Many people,I am convinced,feel compelled to say,"while I don't agree with Obama,I like him personally".

Old 06-25-2012, 12:28 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,527,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
President Obama will win the popularity/likeability issue hands-down. I believe he'll win the economic question, also, because people will probably look at what the President faced in regards to the economic condition of the nation, the programs he proposed, an ineffective Democratic controlled Congress his first two years, the pledge by the GOP in Congress to do anything and everything to thwart his efforts and then compare the experience of Mr. Romney, in government and in private business and his lack of specifics regarding what he'll do differently if elected ... and decide it's better to stick with the guy in office because he's a known quantity as compared to risking going with someone new who can't articulate why he should be given the job.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:03 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,262,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
President Obama will win the popularity/likeability issue hands-down. I believe he'll win the economic question, also, because people will probably look at what the President faced in regards to the economic condition of the nation, the programs he proposed, an ineffective Democratic controlled Congress his first two years, the pledge by the GOP in Congress to do anything and everything to thwart his efforts and then compare the experience of Mr. Romney, in government and in private business and his lack of specifics regarding what he'll do differently if elected ... and decide it's better to stick with the guy in office because he's a known quantity as compared to risking going with someone new who can't articulate why he should be given the job.
There is a difference between likability and having personality; Obama has personality but i think his likability is deminishing fast!!!! Can you give us an example of how the congress hasn't worked with him and as for the economics, if nothing this is one of Obama's biggest stumbling blocks. Most have indicated, according to polls they trust Romney more than Obama when it comes to business.

If the polls stay as close as they are now, Romney will win because, different from your opinion most peole will choose to give the other guy a shot if they are even mildly disappointed in the present guy.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections