Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 01:40 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Many of the Indians I've interacted with are Muslim.
India does have the third most muslims in-country on the planet in raw number.

Though I must say I don't know many IA-muslims personally. I wonder if they are in higher numbers in certain areas of the US moreso than other parts of the US.

Mostly Hindu, Sikh, some Christians, and Jains is what I've experienced in the North East and Bay area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 01:50 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,251,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
India does have the third most muslims in-country on the planet in raw number.

Though I must say I don't know many IA-muslims personally. I wonder if they are in higher numbers in certain areas of the US moreso than other parts of the US.

Mostly Hindu, Sikh, some Christians, and Jains is what I've experienced in the North East and Bay area.
Well there's a good chunk of 'em here in Chicago. I figured most of them were from Pakistan until I was set straight by some of them, though there certainly are Pakistanis living among them on the "Muslim" side of the city's Desi corridor.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:59 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,930 times
Quote:
Well there's a good chunk of 'em here in Chicago. I figured most of them were from Pakistan until I was set straight by some of them, though there certainly are Pakistanis living among them on the "Muslim" side of the city's Desi corridor.
ah i c. interesting to know.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
Indian Americans vote heavily Democratic. Very unlikely that a name like Bobby Jindal would do anything to change that. Much more than anything, they vote Democrat because of their perception that the Democratic Party cares more for the minorities and the Republican Party is for the "Rich White People". The Republican Party also goes out of the way to demonize non-Christians, and most Indian Americans are Hindus. (So was Jindal, till he changed to Christianity.)
you are totally off base on this one: we are not talking American Indians or native Americans. Believe it or not, some minorities are closer to the GOP way of thinking than the Democrat way...Where do you get your information about Republicans demonizing non Christians?

Old 07-17-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I can't believe you would post something like this: and people wonder why Utube is never and I mean never to be trusted. That was his speech years ago, it had nothing to do with those kids and the comments were edited in. Kids do not talk that way and if they did, they should have their mouths washed out with soap? You do not like him, you do not like Republicans period. that is your right, but to post something that is down right misleading will do nothing but prove how unreliable UTube really is.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Many of the Indians I've interacted with are Muslim.
Really? The ones I have known, here in NWA (believe it or not we have quite a few) the ones I worked with in Dallas and the few I knew in NM were either Hindu or Catholic. The same with the ones who operate the taylor shops we used to buy from in Hong Kong, they were either not religious at all or Catholic. Of course, I doubt many of us really know enough IA to really judge. LIke many groups they have ideas that fall on one side and other have ideas that fall on the other. I think Nicki Haley and Jindal have proven this.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:32 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,464,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The Indians who vote dem instead of republican do so because they hate republican foreign policy and yes...the racist anti-anyone-who-is-not-christian bent. I agree.

But given that Indians are business owners, professionals, and the richest minority in the country, they are voting against their own interests.

I am Indian and republican/libertarian, as are my parents. We will continue to vote republican as long as dem policy continues to be redistribution of wealth to the lazy and illegals.

There are not enough Indians in this country to swing any election.
Yes, wealthy Republicans would like nothing better than an Indian "caste" system here too (and hey, the unemployed can be the new "untouchables")!

Old 07-17-2012, 10:36 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,869,709 times
Jindal is the perfect choice as the throw away VP candidate to go along with the throw away Prez candidate. The GOP would not want to use up any "real" American Conserves.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:09 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,045,420 times
I like Bobby Jindal a lot - much more than Portman, Ryan, Thune or Pawlenty (zzzzzzzzz). If he picks one of those 4 it will be "(s)news" for all of 10 minutes. I'm sure they are nice people but take Pawlenty for a minute. He spent about a year more running in Iowa than everyone else and he couldn't get more than a handful of people to vote for him.

I just don't know what Romney expects of his VP choice.

Is he looking for someone who can carry a swing state? Is he looking for someone with the experience he lacks? Is he looking for someone with a little more personality than he has that can enthuse voters? Is he looking for a Mini-Me Romney, someone exactly like himself as far as temperment and experience goes? Is he thinking 8 years from now of who would make a great President.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:16 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,070,744 times
Why do we try to homogenize every group? Does it make for ease in pigeon holing someone? So, one doesn't have to engage, to think? All conservatives are religious bigots? All IA are this, or that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections