Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 11:57 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,464,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Why do we try to homogenize every group? Does it make for ease in pigeon holing someone? So, one doesn't have to engage, to think? All conservatives are religious bigots? All IA are this, or that?
That's true, it wasn't always this way... that is until "certain" folks made a point of reinforcing their message, with things like the "southern strategy" and "dog whistles" like "states rights", "illegals", "welfare queens", and their "uppity muslim Kenyan President"...!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 12:02 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,478,115 times
That fact that he goes my Bobby and not Piyush is what will hurt him most with Indian Americans.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,922,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Jindal is the perfect choice as the throw away VP candidate to go along with the throw away Prez candidate. The GOP would not want to use up any "real" American Conserves.

I almost feel sorry for Jindal sometimes. As one of the token non-white party "leaders" his name gets trotted out anytime the Republicans are dealing with bad news, scandals or when they need to tamp down the racist, bigoted actions of their base to appeal to moderates.

The GOP treats Jindal like a bad wedding gift, he keeps getting regifted from campaign to campaign as a possible VP or cabinet member but it never works out for some strange reason.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:26 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
That fact that he goes my Bobby and not Piyush is what will hurt him most with Indian Americans.
I don't mind that he went with Bobby as a kid, especially in the deep south at that time period where there isn't exactly the same number of IA's as there are in NJ or CA.

However I would've imagined he would've went back to using Piyush in college or grad school.

I grew up in an almost all white area and while I never took an american nickname, a couple of my asian and middle eastern friends did. However, they dropped using it in college and now really only use their traditional given name.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:31 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,478,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
I don't mind that he went with Bobby as a kid, especially in the deep south at that time period where there isn't exactly the same number of IA's as there are in NJ or CA.

However I would've imagined he would've went back to using Piyush in college or grad school.

I grew up in an almost all white area and while I never took an american nickname, a couple of my asian and middle eastern friends did. However, they dropped using it in college and now really only use their traditional given name.
It's funny because all the Americans of Indian descent I know or work with all have Indian or Muslim first names. Almost all of the Americans of the Chinese, Tawanese, Korean, Vietnese, or Japanese (1st Generation) have American Names. Even the one that weren't born here have almost all adapted "American" names. I guess there are different ideas of Cultural assimilation between the cultures.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:34 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,694,986 times
Indians vote for Democrats. Bobby Jindal and Nikki Haley are of Indian origin but Republican party/Tea Party image amongst the immigrants is of far-right wing whites only party and I dont see Indians or Chinese americans voting for Republicans. moreover even though Indians are 3.2 million in number, most of them are on visas or green card and thus not eligible to vote. by 2020, the number of indians in USA will reach 5 million with lot of them citizens and then indian vote will have some value.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:44 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,961,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Wow, count the lies.
Such as what?

Indian Americans vote heavily Democratic. True

Very unlikely that a name like Bobby Jindal would do anything to change that. To be seen

Much more than anything, they vote Democrat because of their perception that the Democratic Party cares more for the minorities and the Republican Party is for the "Rich White People". This is the perception amongst minorities

The Republican Party also goes out of the way to demonize non-Christians, and most Indian Americans are Hindus. True. Remember the primaries? No non-Christians allowed.

(So was Jindal, till he changed to Christianity.) True

What were the lies you found, GOP paid tr....Trace?

Old 07-17-2012, 01:50 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,694,986 times
Bush was very unpopular in India. by contrast Obama is more popular.

India - Protests - Anti-Bush Demo - 42-17745861 - Rights Managed - Stock Photo - Corbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
George Bush was and is hugely popular in India, unlike the failed little tyrant occupying the White House for the next 140 some odd days:

Read more: In the world's largest democracy, they're missing George W. Bush - NY Daily News[/color][/LEFT]

Old 07-24-2012, 02:35 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,045,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I almost feel sorry for Jindal sometimes. As one of the token non-white party "leaders" his name gets trotted out anytime the Republicans are dealing with bad news, scandals or when they need to tamp down the racist, bigoted actions of their base to appeal to moderates.

The GOP treats Jindal like a bad wedding gift, he keeps getting regifted from campaign to campaign as a possible VP or cabinet member but it never works out for some strange reason.
He backed Rick Perry in the early primaries and campaigned with him. It was not his fault that Perry didn't make it.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:43 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
It's funny because all the Americans of Indian descent I know or work with all have Indian or Muslim first names. Almost all of the Americans of the Chinese, Tawanese, Korean, Vietnese, or Japanese (1st Generation) have American Names. Even the one that weren't born here have almost all adapted "American" names. I guess there are different ideas of Cultural assimilation between the cultures.
A lot of Mexicans name their kids American names (trade in Carlos for Charles, for example) also.

Of course, everyone knows that the standard for asimmilation is set differently for every immigrant group. Nobody gives a damn when Asian immigrants put street signs in their language and have newspaper vending machines that vend newspapers in their language. Now, when Hispanic immigrants do this, some Americans claim that Hispanics are cramming their culture down their throat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections