Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 08:56 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,446,073 times

Advertisements

I was considering Romney at some point but only for fiscal purposes, but now he's completely lost my vote with Ryan on the ballot. I have no idea why he'd choose him for, he pretty much lost the independent vote as a whole now. I will say Paul is a well spoken person and he actually presents a plan for cutting the budget/defict unlike Romney or even Obama has but people such as myself believe that budget is too radical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
You actually think independents are happy that there has been no federal budget for three years passed? Do you think independents like that spending is completely out of control and getting worse. I know plenty of democrats, not independents, who are fed up with this guy in the big chair. Just because you say things don't make them true. Romney wins in a landslide in November if we get that far.
I always say this, Obama is a good, innovative leader but he came at the wrong time. Since he hasn't created a federal budget (he has drawn one up each year only to be denied by congress), is he fully accountable for our spending or is our irresponsible, predominantly republican congress partially responsible? Yes, we Democrats are angered that our deficit is this terrible, and we can't at least balance a budget but that doesn't mean we don't like Obama.

Last edited by BMORE; 08-12-2012 at 09:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 10:12 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,546,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Romney wins in a landslide in November if we get that far.
Wishful thinking? I hope you aren't to disappointed come November.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:29 AM

402 posts, read 853,534 times
The media always portrays any Republican as being too far right for America, but I've never heard a complaint that a politician is too far to the left. In 2008, the media portrayed Obama as the moderate, despite having one of the most liberal voting records in the Senate. McCain was portrayed as extreme, even though he earned his maverick reputation by bucking his own party. The Obama campaign is even running an ad right now where a woman says "I don't remember anyone as extreme as Romney."

So what's my point? Anyone Romney could have picked is going to be portrayed as extreme. Will some independents not vote for Romney because of him? Sure. But it's not going to be as big a group as people think, and he will also gain new followers. In 1980, the Dems were all excited because the GOP had made a "big mistake" by nominating Reagan, who was "too far to the right" and would turn off those precious independents, promising Jimmy Carter an easy re-election. Instead, Reagan won 44 states in a landslide election, going on to win 49 in 1984. So don't assume that the GOP putting a solid conservative on the ticket will automatically be a death wish. Once Ryan has a chance to show voters who he actually is, people will see that he is a very likeable guy who puts forward real solutions, I think people will warm to his message. The main knock against him seems to be the claim that he will cut seniors off from government assistance that they helped pay for, but this is simply not true. Once this is established, anyone with a sense of intellectual honesty will have to admit that, agree with him or not, Ryan isn't out to screw over the elderly.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:54 PM

2,345 posts, read 1,671,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
I agree SO MUCH with your post!

Originally Posted by MMM05
Over 53% of All Americans, Black, White, etc. say Medicare is best left as it is. DON'T MESS WITH IT.

That translates to a lot of votes. Realize this. Millions of voters (Tons of Florida voters and tons Republicans don't want Medicare messed with) who likely would lean toward Romney because of disgust with Obama...now will likely not vote, or vote for Obama. People are more concerned about their personal welfare than about the needs to change government programs. I guarantee you !!

I am an independent as is my wife, we are retired with both of us drawing SS and I am on Medicare. I was leaning Romney just because Obama is such a terrible leader and I feel has contributed to the divisions in this country. My wife was leaning Obama because she does not feel Romney can even come close to relating to the middle class.

Well with Ryan our problems are solved, we both now are firmly in Obama's camp (or possibly just will not vote) mainly because as MMM05 says we are very concerned about our personal welfare FIRST!!
Thank you, Sir. It's very SAD that our only recourse is not to vote. Millions of other decent Americans who desperately want a change in leadership in Washington, now find themselves in an uncompromising position of being frozen out, or voting for the Dems. That is tragic!!

Old 08-12-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nva79 View Post
Ryan isn't out to screw over the elderly.
He may not be ''out to'' harm the elderly, but perception is reality in American politics. And even a fool knows you don't tamper with SS or Medicare if you don't want to lose Tons of voters. Realize this, even the children of the elderly want Medicare untouched...because if their Moms and Dads lose Medicare and/or Social Security...the burden of care falls back on the hard working children who love their parents.

Sorry, but Mitt really finds himself in a jam with this against him. Obama must be dancing with Pelosi, NOW.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:44 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,586,643 times
The GOPers could not have done any better in any way to galvanize the democratic base. They had a hope before this pick of a lot of dems just not bothering to get out to vote. I THINK THAT HOPE IS NOW DONE. The GOPERS will now have to rely on thier disenfranchiseing tactics to keep the democratic base from, not voting for Obama but voting against Romney Ryan.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
The GOPers could not have done any better in any way to galvanize the democratic base. They had a hope before this pick of a lot of dems just not bothering to get out to vote. I THINK THAT HOPE IS NOW DONE. The GOPERS will now have to rely on thier disenfranchiseing tactics to keep the democratic base from, not voting for Obama but voting against Romney Ryan.
Very sadly, I AGREE with you.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:16 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,176,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM05 View Post
Ryan Reality Check | RedState

It just sunk in. How motivated will this Ryan pick by Romney cause the left wing Libs to get out and vote for Pres. Obama? Just don't know?! Wondering if more of those who support the GOP plank will unite, instead of staying away from the voting booth...and now stampede to vote?

Or, will Ryan's pick (with his Budget Plan package) now cause many who were not going to vote for Obama... now be motivated to turn out to vote for Obama/Biden?

Which candidate's team do you sense will benefit the most from today's announcement of Paul Ryan as the GOP choice for Vice President?
It does not matter who the VP choice would have been, because the low lying POS 0bama will make the person out to be the devil. Any day now, 0bama or his PAC, will come out with an ad claiming Ryan wants to poison the air and water, kill women, children and old people, and push granny off a cliff.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahC View Post
You know when you marry someone and you take on all their good and bad debt?

Same situation.
Americans are faced with the toughest choice in history this coming election in November. Do they lose Medicare, or lose the Country? - Romney/Ryan v Obama/Biden

Old 08-12-2012, 05:22 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,176,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
LOL, all the GOP needs to do is accurately report on the state of the economy, the lack of jobs, the increased debt and deficit, the increased costs of health care insurance, the unsustainable Social Security and Medicare, etc... While 0bama will be forced to lie his ass off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections