Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 03:32 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,136,796 times

Advertisements

Ryan is a true believer with respect to pro-life politics. Stephanie Mincemer for Mother Jones magazine reveals that Ryan co-sponsored the Sanctity of Life Act, which, if passed, will define life as beginning at fertilization. This, in turn, could criminalize in vitro fertilization. Why? Because according to Mincemer, "Doctors typically create multiple embryos and then only implant the healthiest ones in the woman. Some of them stick and become babies, and some don't. The embryos that don't make it to the womb are either frozen for later use or destroyed." If Ryan’s act passes, “destroying” those embryos will be tantamount to murder in the eyes of the law.

Here is the tricky part: Romney has children who have utilized in vitro fertilization (IVF).

The core problem is that there is a real conflict of interest at work. If Romney wants to be pro-life, he's going to have to bite the bullet and endorse a view of personhood that accepts full legal rights of protection beginning at conception. But, how can he when his own grandchildren were produced by a process that destroys embryos? What will be truly interesting is to see how Romney will spin this contradiction.

Romney Pro Life Flip Flopper: Why the In Vitro Fertilization Debate Could Destroy Romney

How will he ever reconcile this????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 03:43 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
It's very easy to see how he will deal with this. He'll simply label any questions about it as "off limits" and refuse to answer them. See how easy that was?

Old 08-24-2012, 03:58 PM

876 posts, read 709,254 times
Yeah, in vitro is the # 1 issue that Americans are facing today! It is sure to ruin EVERYTHING for Romney/Ryan. I don't care about the economy or obama's abysmal record. Nope, now that I'm thinking about in vitro, they have lost my vote. Thanks for the info. I bet those POS's bite their nails and say curse words too.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:27 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,170,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
Yeah, in vitro is the # 1 issue that Americans are facing today! It is sure to ruin EVERYTHING for Romney/Ryan. I don't care about the economy or obama's abysmal record. Nope, now that I'm thinking about in vitro, they have lost my vote. Thanks for the info. I bet those POS's bite their nails and say curse words too.
Thank you...

Just another non-issue.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:39 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,139,768 times
Quote:
There is definitely a reason the libs cant stop talking about issues most people arent focused on nor do many even care about. They cant win on the real issues that people do care about right now.

I mean for all that is holy, they are turning their convention in to some stupid feminazi-fest.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:03 PM

197 posts, read 213,109 times
And then there is the birfer convention in Tampa next week.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Ryan is a true believer with respect to pro-life politics. Stephanie Mincemer for Mother Jones magazine reveals that Ryan co-sponsored the Sanctity of Life Act, which, if passed, will define life as beginning at fertilization. This, in turn, could criminalize in vitro fertilization. Why? Because according to Mincemer, "Doctors typically create multiple embryos and then only implant the healthiest ones in the woman. Some of them stick and become babies, and some don't. The embryos that don't make it to the womb are either frozen for later use or destroyed." If Ryan’s act passes, “destroying†those embryos will be tantamount to murder in the eyes of the law.

Here is the tricky part: Romney has children who have utilized in vitro fertilization (IVF).

The core problem is that there is a real conflict of interest at work. If Romney wants to be pro-life, he's going to have to bite the bullet and endorse a view of personhood that accepts full legal rights of protection beginning at conception. But, how can he when his own grandchildren were produced by a process that destroys embryos? What will be truly interesting is to see how Romney will spin this contradiction.

Romney Pro Life Flip Flopper: Why the In Vitro Fertilization Debate Could Destroy Romney

How will he ever reconcile this????
boy are you stretching now...If you think, for one second, social issues will play a part in this election you are a dreamer....also if you believe the nolnsense you are living in another world. We can stretch anything if we want and you are running so scared you will read and believe anything....If Romney loses it will have nothing to do with in vitro or anything else related to fertilizatioln. The only issue that would remotely sway any voter that was on the fence would be, for one of the candidates (either side) come out and completely support late term abortion. ...Even then I don't know if it would influence voters.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Gee, now we have to worry about in vitro, who is and isn't for it, we have to worry about whether or not Ryan is gay, has dated of slept (maybe both) with a black gal, Romney ties his dog to a roof of a car (in a carrying crate, btw, made for the roof of cars) he terminates people so he can save companies (something any good company has to do from time to time) and what else are we looking at? Oh, next, it will be, how can we possibly have a Mormon in the White House, he would insult dignitaries from other countries because he doesn't drink so he may not serve wine with state dinners. We should all forget the economy, our countries securiety, people coming across borders, etc because someone might not, personally believe in In Vitro...??

Old 08-25-2012, 10:42 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
boy are you stretching now...If you think, for one second, social issues will play a part in this election you are a dreamer....also if you believe the nolnsense you are living in another world. We can stretch anything if we want and you are running so scared you will read and believe anything....If Romney loses it will have nothing to do with in vitro or anything else related to fertilizatioln. The only issue that would remotely sway any voter that was on the fence would be, for one of the candidates (either side) come out and completely support late term abortion. ...Even then I don't know if it would influence voters.
I think you're wrong Nita--the in-vitro issue is just part of the larger personhood issue that impacts the legality of birth control pills and the IUD. That issue really does have legs with lots of more moderate women voters. It would have never come up at all except for the Akin thing, which put a spotlight on the R party platform and Ryan's role in sponsoring that type of legislation. If it was just this incidence alone I don't think it would be a big deal, but it's been building with all the state actions calling for trans vaginal ultra sounds and state personhood bills...

Old 08-25-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I think you're wrong Nita--the in-vitro issue is just part of the larger personhood issue that impacts the legality of birth control pills and the IUD. That issue really does have legs with lots of more moderate women voters. It would have never come up at all except for the Akin thing, which put a spotlight on the R party platform and Ryan's role in sponsoring that type of legislation. If it was just this incidence alone I don't think it would be a big deal, but it's been building with all the state actions calling for trans vaginal ultra sounds and state personhood bills...
none of this is going to change anyone's vote and those on the fence are not going to pay any attention to in vitro period...There are so many issues we, as Americans are concerned with, even the issue of birth cnotrol isn't going to sway people. I am saying this based on talking with friends as well as family members that happen to be pro choice and in a couple of cases very liberal. They also realize the Pres is not going to make a difference is what happens with these issues. They are old hat..Now, we have to worry about fiscal issues, illegals and our countries security...The only people really concerned about these issues are the Sandra Flucks of the country and they wouldn't vote for a Repbulican if he/she personally delivered a life time suppy of controceptioves to their homes and offered to pay for any and all abortions they wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections