Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 03:00 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,252,674 times

Advertisements

That might explain why he failed to so much as recognize our men and women who are fighting in Afghanistan in his acceptance speech at the RNC. (actually I think it was his lack of empathy or concern for anyone but the Adelsons of the world, but who knows?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 03:03 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Why do you think he did not even mention the military in his speech at RNC? The guy wants to be the CIC, and it is wartime, and he doesn't even mention them? Also, during the vietnam he purposely avoided serving his country, by staying in a mansion in France. I don't know if it has to do with his faith, or personal views, but he just seems to resent the military.
Wow! You really DON'T get it, do you!

Old 09-08-2012, 03:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
This link (from a friendly site) traces Mitt's ancestry back through all eight great-grand parents:

Mitt Romney’s Ancestry | Hail To You

One thing that stands out is that there is no indication that ANYONE in the Romney clan's 165 yr history in this country has EVER served in it's armed forces

The only apparent exemption is one relative, on a maternal great-grandmother's side, who enlisted in the Union Army in NY during the Civil War, only to promptly desert and flee back to the Utah territory when his unit was deployed to the SW US (guess he couldn't afford a wagon! )

But, except for that dubious fellow... Nothing. Nada, zilch, zero.

Not Mitt. Not his five sons. Not brother Scott (not sure about Scott's seven kids by three wives-no, not all at the same time ) Not Mitt's dad (before you start in with " Yeah, but he was a wheel at AMC.. Helped war effort blah blah... MY dad was a wheel at Fischer Body at the same time, and he quit, enlisted, fought, then came back to his job )

Hell, even Obama has at least ONE vet in his family history (maternal GF), and 9/10ths of his relatives aren't even Americans!

How the hell do you raise as many kids as the Romney clan has, through a period when the nation has fought at least 10 armed conflicts, without any one of them enlisting, or at least being drafted, FFS?

Not sure what conclusion to draw from this, except, it is safe to say that serving the country militarily is not now, and never has been, a priority in the Romney family (and that is putting it mildly )

If anyone has info to refute this, like Mitt has a cousin in the Air Force, or a nephew in the Coast Guard, anything, please let me know!
How about Obama? How about his father or his uncles or his 1/2 brother? We could go on and on, this probably is a subject that if anyone tries to make a big deal out of will backfire big time...

I know, I know, why Romeny didn't serve? He was a community organizer, which is what I thought he left approves of;;;don't say he wasn't, he was organizing his church, the same thing. isn't that ok with your side?

Old 09-08-2012, 03:05 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Wow! You really DON'T get it, do you!
"it"? I get Romney"s willingness to have nothing to do with the military.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:08 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,325,190 times
I would think after having a certified draft-dodger as president (William the Impeached), the subject would not come up again regarding any future presidents.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:13 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,397,060 times
Quote:
This link (from a friendly site) traces Mitt's ancestry back through all eight great-grand parents:

One thing that stands out is that there is no indication that ANYONE in the Romney clan's 165 yr history in this country has EVER served in it's armed forces

The only apparent exemption is one relative, on a maternal great-grandmother's side, who enlisted in the Union Army in NY during the Civil War, only to promptly desert and flee back to the Utah territory when his unit was deployed to the SW US (guess he couldn't afford a wagon! )

Not Mitt. Not his five sons. Not brother Scott (not sure about Scott's seven kids by three wives-no, not all at the same time ) Not Mitt's dad (before you start in with " Yeah, but he was a wheel at AMC.. Helped war effort blah blah... MY dad was a wheel at Fischer Body at the same time, and he quit, enlisted, fought, then came back to his job )

Hell, even Obama has at least ONE vet in his family history (maternal GF), and 9/10ths of his relatives aren't even Americans!

How the hell do you raise as many kids as the Romney clan has, through a period when the nation has fought at least 10 armed conflicts, without any one of them enlisting, or at least being drafted, FFS?

Not sure what conclusion to draw from this, except, it is safe to say that serving the country militarily is not now, and never has been, a priority in the Romney family (and that is putting it mildly )

If anyone has info to refute this, like Mitt has a cousin in the Air Force, or a nephew in the Coast Guard, anything, please let me know!
Doesn't surprise me for 3 reasons, but I don't see why it is a big deal.

1. Back in the day the LDS church and the federal government used to go to war with each other so its not surprising that his way back ancestors were not exactly joining up.
2. Several decades after the Mormon wars were over, and Brigham Young was ousted from the governorship in Utah the LDS church seeking to reconcile with the federal government and banned polygamy forcing many of Mitt's dissenting ancestors to flee the US for Mexico, and again there was not much simpatico with the US federal government.
3. After Mitt's relatives finally returned to the US Mitt's dad became fairly wealth and wealthy people tend not to sign up, John Kerry being the glaring exception, but Mitt did not go that route nor did his sons.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 09-08-2012 at 03:22 PM..

Old 09-08-2012, 03:16 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,752,843 times
Quote:

So? When did Obama serve this country? You all made such noise about Bush II being in the N.G and dismissed it.....you know that right? Clinton, whom I am certain you supported, was a draft dodger and we put him in the white house twice....so not sure what the point is you are trying to make.
We need someone to fix this mess not make empty promises.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:17 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,752,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Wait a minute ......... I know where this clever OP is going with this ............... Ryan has no military background either!

Oh, but wait. Obama has Draft Dodger Joe. Now that's something to be proud of.

Biden's draft deferments equal Cheney's during Vietnam War - Washington Times
Wow! I did not know old Joe was a draft dodger....LOL. They all have their reasons I am sure.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:20 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Wow! I did not know old Joe was a draft dodger....LOL. They all have their reasons I am sure.
Sure, and I'd like to hear Romney explain his reason for avoiding the Vietnam war. And I would like to hear hi, explain his failure to mention the men and women serving their country on the battlefield.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:20 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Doesn't surprise me for 3 reasons, but I don't see why it is a big deal.

1. Back in the day the LDS church and the federal government used to go to war with each other so its not surprising that his way back ancestors were not exactly joining up.
2. Several decades after the Mormon wars were over, and Brigham Young was ousted from the governorship in Utah the LDS church seeking to reconcile with the federal government and banned polygamy forcing many of Mitt's dissenting ancestors to flee the US for Mexico, and again there was not much simpatico with the US federal government.
3. After Mitt's relatives finally returned to the US Mitt's dad became fairly wealth and wealthy people tend not to sign up, John Kerry being the glaring exception, but Mitt did not go that route nor did his son.
I saw yesterday that Prince Harry was being sent to Afghanistan. They sure have a different culture of service than we do here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections