Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 11:35 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,394,644 times

Advertisements

This link (from a friendly site) traces Mitt's ancestry back through all eight great-grand parents:

Mitt Romney’s Ancestry | Hail To You

One thing that stands out is that there is no indication that ANYONE in the Romney clan's 165 yr history in this country has EVER served in it's armed forces

The only apparent exemption is one relative, on a maternal great-grandmother's side, who enlisted in the Union Army in NY during the Civil War, only to promptly desert and flee back to the Utah territory when his unit was deployed to the SW US (guess he couldn't afford a wagon! )

But, except for that dubious fellow... Nothing. Nada, zilch, zero.

Not Mitt. Not his five sons. Not brother Scott (not sure about Scott's seven kids by three wives-no, not all at the same time ) Not Mitt's dad (before you start in with " Yeah, but he was a wheel at AMC.. Helped war effort blah blah... MY dad was a wheel at Fischer Body at the same time, and he quit, enlisted, fought, then came back to his job )

Hell, even Obama has at least ONE vet in his family history (maternal GF), and 9/10ths of his relatives aren't even Americans!

How the hell do you raise as many kids as the Romney clan has, through a period when the nation has fought at least 10 armed conflicts, without any one of them enlisting, or at least being drafted, FFS?

Not sure what conclusion to draw from this, except, it is safe to say that serving the country militarily is not now, and never has been, a priority in the Romney family (and that is putting it mildly )

If anyone has info to refute this, like Mitt has a cousin in the Air Force, or a nephew in the Coast Guard, anything, please let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 11:39 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,724,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post

One thing that stands out is that there is no indication that ANYONE in the Romney clan's 165 yr history in this country has EVER served in it's armed forces

....and this is pertinent why?

Oh...because everyone in Obama's family (including himself) HAVE served?

Old 09-08-2012, 11:42 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,484,963 times
Mitt Romney has had no control over whether anyone in his family other than himself has served. The fact that Obama's maternal grandfather served means nothing. He had no control over that.

The only thing that's relevant is whether Mitt Romney or Barack Obama have ever served. And neither of them have.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:49 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,171,324 times
Wait a minute ......... I know where this clever OP is going with this ............... Ryan has no military background either!

Oh, but wait. Obama has Draft Dodger Joe. Now that's something to be proud of.

Biden's draft deferments equal Cheney's during Vietnam War - Washington Times

Old 09-08-2012, 11:52 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,724,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

The only thing that's relevant is whether Mitt Romney or Barack Obama have ever served. And neither of them have.

I'm a combat veteran and even I don't care if either one have served before.

That's not what qualifies or disqualifies anyone from becoming President.

In fact, Eisenhower once said that it's better to have NOT served prior to becoming President.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:43 PM

46,334 posts, read 27,181,581 times
Haha......

What a lame thread.....

Why not talk about something that really matters....you know...the Economy or maybe jobs....

CD is almost like the the DNC talk about anything but what really matters....

Old 09-08-2012, 12:54 PM

68,349 posts, read 54,496,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
....and this is pertinent why?

Oh...because everyone in Obama's family (including himself) HAVE served?
Because Romney's a smarmy little turd who supported the Vietnam War/draft just as long as he didn't have to sully his own sorry ass.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:38 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,218,317 times
I don't care if Romney's family has served or not, but I do care that he can't seem to open his mouth without insulting our ALLIES, that he knows zip about foreign policy and that Ryan's addition to the team does nothing to correct that problem, that he thinks RUSSIA is our greatest threat, and that he wants to expand the military OVER and BEYOND the budget we maintained during two wars but he can't explain WHY.

He's a disaster waiting to happen.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:44 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,722,243 times
Why do you think he did not even mention the military in his speech at RNC? The guy wants to be the CIC, and it is wartime, and he doesn't even mention them? Also, during the vietnam he purposely avoided serving his country, by staying in a mansion in France. I don't know if it has to do with his faith, or personal views, but he just seems to resent the military.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:48 PM

2,345 posts, read 1,673,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I don't care if Romney's family has served or not, but I do care that he can't seem to open his mouth without insulting our ALLIES, that he knows zip about foreign policy and that Ryan's addition to the team does nothing to correct that problem, that he thinks RUSSIA is our greatest threat, and that he wants to expand the military OVER and BEYOND the budget we maintained during two wars but he can't explain WHY.

He's a disaster waiting to happen.
Not near as big a ''disaster'' as is currently happening, genius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections