Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2012, 08:46 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,407,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Obama in Ohio appears to have snapped back over the last few days, with two polls (NBC/WSJ and PPP) placing him right back where he was two weeks ago, up by 5 points or thereabouts.

But there's still plenty of room for Romney to maneuver in the state; inspired by the example of that great naval hero John Paul Jones, Romney's motto in Ohio is "I have not yet begun to lie".
Oh, hahahaha. What a masterful wit. How clever! That's hilarious. How do you think up such things?

Obama's biggest problem is not anything his opponent says, but by the abject failure of his policies, his prescriptions, his philosophy, and his presidency.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:41 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
No. He is a doctor. He was Surgeon General in the Bush administration, former decorated combat medic and doc, and SWAT team leader. He is an INDie turned Dem who is not a career politician, pretty moderate. Jan Brewer tried to get him to run as a Republican for some office, but apparently he wanted Senate. Probably would fall in the blue dog dem category that goes along with some of the party stuff but not all of it if elected.

Flake is a career politician. He is not that bad, but his social agenda is more suited to the bible belt than AZ.
I actually like Carmona. My problem with Carmona is going to be my problem with McCain in 2008. They are both going to have to tow the party line. Carmona and McCain are both fairly moderate politicians but in order to energize their bases they both have to move to the fringes and I don't like that.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:47 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
[quote=marcopolo;26500302Obama's biggest problem is not anything his opponent says, but by the abject failure of his policies, his prescriptions, his philosophy, and his presidency.[/quote]

True, but Romney's big problem is vital states like Va and Ohio are faring decently (economically) now, quite unusual for swing states to outperform the nation.

I expect Ohio to go Obama, and NOVA's population gowth, while perhaps not moving Va in '12, will create a Blue Va on an enduring basis.

Romney will pretty much need a clean sweep on all remaining swing states to eek out 270.

My hunch, looking at rcp which uses last 10 day averages, is the Obama drop from 265 to 201, will somewhat reverse (last 7 days Ohio for instance would have them call it for Obama, 10/4-6 polls will fall off 10/14-16). So it will not shock me to see Obama above 225-240 within 5 days. It will be interesting to see if Romney can bump up 191 by the same trend.

Either way, the GOP neeeds to recognize the failure of the Southern Strategy. A 211.4 avg over 20 years is putrid. It is a signal what the South wants and the rest of the US want are out of sync, and unless one sees 270 Southern electoral votes in the 21st century, its an arithmetic problem.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:02 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
BS. Obama hasnt been above 44 all year in Arizona and Romney hasn't been below 48.
They actually mentioned a reason for that. Most other polls are only conducted in English. This poll was conducted in English and Spanish. That would likely explain a good amount of the shift.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:37 AM

27,131 posts, read 15,310,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Rocky Mountain Poll is very well known and respected local (Phoenix) polling firm. I would not dismiss it so casually. Earl DeBerge (the owner) is a frequent commentator on TV here on political trends.

I have a hard time, though, believing that Obama will prevail here. There is a built-in Mormon bias of 2-3 percent (they are holding prayer sessions and meetings for Romney). Carmona may win, though. In fact, I am beginning to believe he will. Latino turnout could conceivably tilt both races to the Dems, but Latinos have a dismal record for turning out here.

Obama certainly has a dismal record there as well.

Cartel wars on our soil?
Not a point in his favor at all.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:38 AM

27,131 posts, read 15,310,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Obama is going to win in AZ, yes. SC is in play also!

Romney is taking Illinois, Ohio, California, Wisconsin and New York.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:58 AM

376 posts, read 652,650 times
Default All RCP now favor Romeny Natioanlly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
New poll apparently Obama made massive gains in AZ

RMP 2012-III-01
I don't now anything about this polling group you referenced for arizona but nationally, Romney leads in 5 of the 7 polls and thother 2 are tied. Obama doesn't lead in any of the polls nationally.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - General Election: Romney vs. Obama

And with Romney likely to win 30 states overall to 20 for Obama, Romney will get 20 additional electoral votes by winning the 2 senate related electoral votes for the 10 state margin. So Obama would lose rather sustantially if the election was held today.

I would be very surprised if Obama wins arizona.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:22 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Romney will pretty much need a clean sweep on all remaining swing states to eek out 270.
Yes, I agree - and this is the rock on which the fortunes of the Romney campaign look likely to founder. The first debate changed the polling numbers enough to give the wild-eyed true believers some hope, but not enough to change the underlying dynamic of this race: the RCP No-Tossup map still suggests an Obama victory by the comfortable margin of 24 electors. By RCP's measurement, Romney takes 244 electors if the election happens this morning - to boost that number to a majority, if Ohio is ruled out, still requires the Romulans to convert at least four marginal states presently favoring Obama (VA, NV, NH, IA), which is a scenario so tenuous as to be laughable.

Romney's best, and really his only, chance to win this election rests in swinging Ohio and Virginia, and to achieve that feat he now has one last chance: this week's debate. In effect, Republican hopes to regain the White House now turn on a repetition of the first debate.

Quote:
It is a signal what the South wants and the rest of the US want are out of sync, and unless one sees 270 Southern electoral votes in the 21st century, its an arithmetic problem.
Again, I agree. Looked at broadly, perhaps this has been true for almost the entire history of the Republic, and an historian in a speculative mood might conclude that it suggests secession or separation might have been a better course for both sections. But whether for good or ill, Appomattox happened, and any party which aligns itself ever more exclusively with the Confederacy in the Electoral College is probably doomed.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:53 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Did you forget about TX being a consistent big number haul for the GOP? TX has more electoral votes than NY.
But even then, Texas will be a swing state next election most likely. Definitely will by 2020.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:52 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,112 times
A poll with 14% undecided. 44-42.

This is what the Obama campaign now has to stretch for to get good polling news these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections